Spring Competition

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CJ Leggett hasn't had a chance to prove himself. He was injured after redshirting. Don't sleep on CJ Leggett. Our depth at BB is about to be silly...
I agree that CJ has a chance, he has a high upside, but I have heard he lacks the physical part that a b back needs, I'm assuming he likes to juke more than actually get the hard yards.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Re: DB depth, Christian Campbell is moving to free safety. Hand injury would have been a problem at QB this spring, so he's getting a shot to get on the field this year.
I know I am a skeptic by name and nature, but it makes me wonder if a) Campbell has no impressed as a QB candidate, or b) Johnson is feeling good about his recruits there now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I know I am a skeptic by name and nature, but it makes me wonder if a) Campbell has no impressed as a QB candidate, or b) Johnson is feeling good about his recruits there now.
I heard wide ranging opinions on CC last year (none of which came from a source named Johnny). On one end of the spectrum I heard CC could have been neck-and-neck with Bylery by this year. On the other end, the coaches weren't seeing expected progress.

I'm inclined to lean toward the latter given the sources and timing of other info. For example, CC was interested in moving to safety before we had any QB commits in the 2016 class. Personal opinion only - I don't think CC is short-sighted enough to pass on QB if he saw himself as the definitive heir to JT, particularly given he'd have 3 full years to play. I know there's a lure of the NFL and the perception that it's more likely at DB, but I don't know why that motivator would have been materially different at the end of the season.

The hand injury makes my attempt at untangling the situation a moot point. It would have been difficult for CC to do much at QB this spring. And hand injury aside, imo, CC is most valuable trying out at safety given our current depth situation at QB and DB.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When is the official start date for Spring Practice again?
And in the spirit of getting our heads into the game, this from Johnson after the Georgia game got away, another in a season of getaways, and maybe what we and the players who show up should expect:

“A lot of it is youth. A lot of it is guys who will probably not be playing next year when we get everybody back. We’ve got to coach better. It’s all of the above. We’ve got to pay more attention to detail.”

alagold

Helluva Engineer

If I'm not mistaken I think CC had about as many yds rushing as passing in hi school.That means ,he can't pass good enough for this level.Great athlete--see AJ Gray.Having a broken hand would about kill the chance /time to practice for QB .
We need athletes on DEf. esp large ones.