Special Teams Coordinator

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here are the returns over our last three games...

UCF
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 49 yard for 47 yard return
Kickoff to the 0 yard line, returned to the 31 yard for 31 yard return
Kickoff to the 4 yard line, returned to the 25 yard for 21 yard return
3 Returns that averaged 33 yards per return and average start at 35 yard line (+10 from touchback)

Ugag
Kickoff to the 11 yard line, returned to the 17 yard for 6 yard return
Kickoff to the 3 yard line, returned to the 36 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 39 yard for 37 yard return
Kickoff to the 15 yard line, returned to GT's 46 yard for 39 yard return
4 Returns that averaged 29 yards per return and average start at 37 yard line (+12 from touchback)

Cuse
Kickoff to the 5 yard line, returned to the 38 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 27 yard for 25 yard return
Kickoff to the -1 yard line, returned to the 26 yard for 27 yard return (fumble)
3 Returns that averaged 28 yards per return and average start at 30 yard line (+5 from touchback)
Leather - thanks for digging out this info.

Do u think that the bad stats on returns could be partially KO trajectory? Are we kicking line drives that some times dont make it into end zone?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Leather - thanks for digging out this info.

Do u think that the bad stats on returns could be partially KO trajectory? Are we kicking line drives that some times dont make it into end zone?
I think Gavin was hurt over the last few games, which is why his touchback percentage went way down. I also think he was not getting much elevation on his kicks to compensate for his injury, which gave the returner more time before contact. Having said that, I also think we did a poor job of filling the return lanes and maintaining balance on the coverage, which created more space for the returner to run.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Thacker, Sherrer, & Marco are now not listed on the roster.
Happy to see Thacker officially gone.

Wish all the best to Marco andSherrer.
Sad to lose Marco and Sherrer. I thought both did credible jobs with what they were dealt last season. DL and LB were both hot messes after the attrition from 2022. But the new DC gets to pick his coaches.

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
What’s the difference between associate and assistant head coach? I’m sure it’s just a way to get the staff a little more money, but is there a difference in the two?
Assistant head coach is a little higher than an associate head coach and performs head coaching duties when the head coach is not present, as I understand it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Assistant head coach is a little higher than an associate head coach and performs head coaching duties when the head coach is not present, as I understand it.
Weinke will run practices/scrimmage/ team meetings if Key is unable to for whatever reason. and associate head coach usually performs game prep duties/ time management situational things to be aware of etc

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Hard but necessary decisions. Hats off to CBK for making the hard choice. Never easy firing people you work closely with, especially if they work hard even though it the necessary thing to do.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hard but necessary decisions. Hats off to CBK for making the hard choice. Never easy firing people you work closely with, especially if they work hard even though it the necessary thing to do.
So, he fired the entire defensive coaching staff. That's a strong message to his current and future staff about what not performing on the field gets you. Their job is to take what we have and make it work on the field. It's also their job to get the players capable of getting it done on the field. I think the previous staff fell short on both fronts, for whatever reasons. I'm not privy to all the decisions that were made, so I'm not impugning the abilities of any of those coaches.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, that must have been a emotionally tough decision. Luckily I never was forced to fire a friend. I always managed to find him another assignment he was qualified for, Thank goodness.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So, he fired the entire defensive coaching staff. That's a strong message to his current and future staff about what not performing on the field gets you. Their job is to take what we have and make it work on the field. It's also their job to get the players capable of getting it done on the field. I think the previous staff fell short on both fronts, for whatever reasons. I'm not privy to all the decisions that were made, so I'm not impugning the abilities of any of those coaches.
They clearly failed to be successful at GT for whatever reason. Correct decision to go with a new set of coaches.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Yeah, that must have been a emotionally tough decision. Luckily I never was forced to fire a friend. I always managed to find him another assignment he was qualified for, Thank goodness.
They know the business & what they signed up for.... it sucks for them personally, but they'll land somewhere else in the next cycle.

Maybe Coleman goes back to being a Financial Planner/Stock Analyst like he was before he got into coaching.... just sayin'.....

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
They know the business & what they signed up for.... it sucks for them personally, but they'll land someone else in the next cycle.

Maybe Coleman goes back to being a Financial Planner/Stock Analyst like he was before he got into coaching.... just sayin'.....
Agree. Coaches, especially at the D1 level, know that it's a performance and success-based job. Key has probably made that clear to everyone on staff. Not sure if that was properly understood during the prior regime.