Special Teams Coordinator

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Brent key making some noise in the coaches he’s bringing to Atlanta. Ga Tech hit a home run giving this man the job and in about 3 years the university of Alabama will be crying they didn’t give Brent Key that the job. I believe Alabama should’ve jumped all over Brent Key. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad he’s at Ga Tech but he’s good enough to go anywhere including Alabama. The dude is that good I’m telling ya. Just look at his teachers.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Brent key making some noise in the coaches he’s bringing to Atlanta. Ga Tech hit a home run giving this man the job and in about 3 years the university of Alabama will be crying they didn’t give Brent Key that the job. I believe Alabama should’ve jumped all over Brent Key. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad he’s at Ga Tech but he’s good enough to go anywhere including Alabama. The dude is that good I’m telling ya. Just look at his teachers.
I think Brent could have done well at the Bama job, but his resume isn’t full enough yet for them to consider him. If the AD had hired someone who was only 1.5 years into being a head coach whose best record was 7-6, the Alabama boosters and fanbase would be out for blood.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Brent could have done well at the Bama job, but his resume isn’t full enough yet for them to consider him. If the AD had hired someone who was only 1.5 years into being a head coach whose best record was 7-6, the Alabama boosters and fanbase would be out for blood.
Oh i agree. When Brent Key was the OL coach at Alabama their OL dominated the line of scrimmage. Not so much today and Michigan man handled them. I’m glad he’s at Ga Tech 😂

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Oh i agree. When Brent Key was the OL coach at Alabama their OL dominated the line of scrimmage. Not so much today and Michigan man handled them. I’m glad he’s at Ga Tech 😂
It may been a matter of personnel who Key had then vs who they have now.

AL has a website dedicated to who is in the NFL but I'm too lazy to see who of those Key coached. There about 15-18 between Active/IR/Practice.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Everyone understands we're going to have to take care of Brent no ifs ands or buts. With the massive changes going on in CFB and if GT ends up in the BIG and with the school now behind the athletics and FB program in particular, being in a top 10 media mkt, GT could easily end up being one of the more desirable places to be in the country IMO. What a switch that would be over what is has been the last 60 years. Being in the BIG means so much to the economy of the state of Georgia because of what the AAU research grants can produce for the state, at least that is how I see it. I have believed for a while now that is the main motivation of the GT administration getting behind athletics because it is a very important requirement of the BIG for membership that you have a good athletic program as well as the academics from everything I have read/heard them say in interviews and other sources of info in that regard.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The new coach at 'bama could work out but if he doesn't then they may have to hit their Saban bottom just like they had to hit their "bear" bottom. That can take some years and who knows if the rural schools are even relevant at that time. I'm one that believes there is a good chance many (not all) will not be. I have very definite reasons for believing that but that gets into an area I'm not allowed to address on here if I understand the rules right.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here are the returns over our last three games...

UCF
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 49 yard for 47 yard return
Kickoff to the 0 yard line, returned to the 31 yard for 31 yard return
Kickoff to the 4 yard line, returned to the 25 yard for 21 yard return
3 Returns that averaged 33 yards per return and average start at 35 yard line (+10 from touchback)

Ugag
Kickoff to the 11 yard line, returned to the 17 yard for 6 yard return
Kickoff to the 3 yard line, returned to the 36 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 39 yard for 37 yard return
Kickoff to the 15 yard line, returned to GT's 46 yard for 39 yard return
4 Returns that averaged 29 yards per return and average start at 37 yard line (+12 from touchback)

Cuse
Kickoff to the 5 yard line, returned to the 38 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 27 yard for 25 yard return
Kickoff to the -1 yard line, returned to the 26 yard for 27 yard return (fumble)
3 Returns that averaged 28 yards per return and average start at 30 yard line (+5 from touchback)
Worse than I remembered. How about earlier in the season? When Stewart was booming his kicks, did we see better coverage on the ones that fell a little short?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Give him a few years before we declare him St. Key!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Here are the returns over our last three games...

UCF
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 49 yard for 47 yard return
Kickoff to the 0 yard line, returned to the 31 yard for 31 yard return
Kickoff to the 4 yard line, returned to the 25 yard for 21 yard return
3 Returns that averaged 33 yards per return and average start at 35 yard line (+10 from touchback)

Ugag
Kickoff to the 11 yard line, returned to the 17 yard for 6 yard return
Kickoff to the 3 yard line, returned to the 36 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 39 yard for 37 yard return
Kickoff to the 15 yard line, returned to GT's 46 yard for 39 yard return
4 Returns that averaged 29 yards per return and average start at 37 yard line (+12 from touchback)

Cuse
Kickoff to the 5 yard line, returned to the 38 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 27 yard for 25 yard return
Kickoff to the -1 yard line, returned to the 26 yard for 27 yard return (fumble)
3 Returns that averaged 28 yards per return and average start at 30 yard line (+5 from touchback)
Those are really poor coverage stats, but I wonder how much is attributable to lower hang time on the shorter kicks? I don't think hang time is an available stat, but it would be interesting to see if that is a contributing factor. Otherwise, we need to rework the coverage personnel and/or scheme.

I'd have to rewatch the kickoffs, but a clue would be where our guys are located at the time of the catch.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Give him a few years before we declare him St. Key!
I agree. I have been a huge fan of Key since he came back to Tech. To me he embodies everything Georgia Tech! His passion for this school and this program shows in everything he does. I was rooting for him to get the job at the end of the year and through everything since (including his contract details) you can tell he wants Tech to succeed just as much if not more than any of us here. All that to say he has not proven much YET to be considered one of the best coaches in college football right now. I think he would agree with me too. I believe he can absolutely get there but, as he has said before, he is judged on wins and losses. Right now he is a pretty average coach sitting 1 game above 0.500.