Special Teams Coordinator

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have not had a chance to read, but wanted to get it in front of you all to praise and or rip apart ;)

"Brumfield was at FIU for the 2022 season in the same role, also coaching outside linebackers. He had led special teams at Virginia for four seasons prior to that, coaching tight ends and cornerbacks in different seasons."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a good hire. I read somewhere that he's a good recruiter too
Rivals listed 4 Louisiana recruits to UVA

Like that new staff all have ability and experience to help in other areas = especially recruiting which is all about building relationships.

Glad to see word coordinator on special teams

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
W
Rivals listed 4 Louisiana recruits to UVA

Like that new staff all have ability and experience to help in other areas = especially recruiting which is all about building relationships.

Glad to see word coordinator on special teams
What does a "word" coordinator do?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope he's good at his job. The Super Bowl showed just how important it is, as does the 4 - 4 split we had when Key took over. A significant part of that was the dramatic improvement of special teams play.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you do 2 fball jobs well .with STs being one.You MIGHT be get away with it if you have a bunch of returnees. STs is too important to just hand-over to "another coach".

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you do 2 fball jobs well .with STs being one.You MIGHT be get away with it if you have a bunch of returnees. STs is too important to just hand-over to "another coach".
It seems so to me as well. Special teams are on the field about 20% of the plays and it's best they have one dedicated full-time coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

From roughly 2000-2012, Virginia Tech was considered one of the nations best special teams units. "Beamer Ball" became synonymous with exceptional play on special teams. Throughout that period, VT never had a dedicated ST coordinator.

That's not to say a dedicated ST coordinator is a bad idea, just that it's not necessary for success.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
From roughly 2000-2012, Virginia Tech was considered one of the nations best special teams units. "Beamer Ball" became synonymous with exceptional play on special teams. Throughout that period, VT never had a dedicated ST coordinator.

That's not to say a dedicated ST coordinator is a bad idea, just that it's not necessary for success.
I believe Beamer coached the Special Teams himself.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I believe Beamer coached the Special Teams himself.

Mostly. From what I understand of it he was in charge of it but all coaches had a part in it. It was a team focus area more than than any individual coaches responsibility. Beamer considered ST to be a full-sized third leg of the football tripod and devoted practice time to it. That's why, even though there was never a dedicated ST coordinator that did nothing else, the team was highly successful.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

It seems I heard that the HEAD coach did it.I bet the players listened to him and his plans..

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No argument there. Again, it goes to show that a team can be successful on ST without a dedicated ST coordinator that has no other coaching responsibilities.
Of course it can. No one would argue otherwise, since most teams don't have a dedicated ST coordinator, and obviously many of them have successful STs.
But that hardly negates the concept that there's something to be said for having a coach to handle that part of the team alone.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Of course it can. No one would argue otherwise, since most teams don't have a dedicated ST coordinator, and obviously many of them have successful STs.
But that hardly negates the concept that there's something to be said for having a coach to handle that part of the team alone.

Agreed. As with everything, it all comes down to the coach selected. The new guy looks promising. We had a couple of ST coordinators under CPJ that were middle of the road IMO. As long as special teams cease to become a liability next year, it will be an unmitigated win for us. I would expect to see it become a strength for us in the near future if we are dedicating a coaching position to it, and that's part of why I am excited to see CBK go this route.