Special Teams Coordinator

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No Root. The average returns After our kickoff guy ( Stewart?) got hurt were far gretaer than 25. UCF returned them to midfield. If you kick them all in the endzone the average is 25. Since there were so many of those before he got hurt, the average does't show the terible coverage out side the endzone.
I responded to the post that said the average return was 26.85 yards. If that is false then the numbers change. As I said if that is the average we must have had a few inside the 15 because there were some long returns.

Again the 26.85 was not my number. It was what I responded to.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Likely, however most kicks after the injury were still inside the 5 yard line so that’s 5-6 yards on average. I question the 26.85

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I responded to the post that said the average return was 26.85 yards. If that is false then the numbers change. As I said if that is the average we must have had a few inside the 15 because there were some long returns.

Again the 26.85 was not my number. It was what I responded to.
You compared the 26.85 yard return to the placement of the ball on a touchback. Those numbers have no relationship. The only way they would is if 100% of the returns started on the goal line. They do not.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You compared the 26.85 yard return to the placement of the ball on a touchback. Those numbers have no relationship. The only way they would is if 100% of the returns started on the goal line. They do not.
While true most of Stewart’s kicks went inside the 5. I acknowledged that gave a 5 yard plus. It is clearly better to get zero return with a kick into the EZ than averaging starting around the 31.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
While true most of Stewart’s kicks went inside the 5. I acknowledged that gave a 5 yard plus. It is clearly better to get zero return with a kick into the EZ than averaging starting around the 31.
However, for every kick we stop at the 13, 18, or 22, there are kicks stopped at the 38 or 45. That's the problem. Also, it's about what those teams did with that starting position. Sometimes it hurt us, sometimes it didn't.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure that's yards after catch. So, if they catch it at the 5, that's essentially the 32 yard line. I could be wrong.
Roger, I have said several times the kicks generally went to the 5 so ok, the 32 vs the 25.

The surprising thing is the average return was only 26.85 yards as we all remember a few long returns. There must have been several very short returns we don’t remember.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Roger, I have said several times the kicks generally went to the 5 so ok, the 32 vs the 25.

The surprising thing is the average return was only 26.85 yards as we all remember a few long returns. There must have been several very short returns we don’t remember.
I think we were pretty good at stopping some kicks well short of the 25. People tend to remember the ones that end up on the 38 or 45 because there were several missed tackles.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You realize 26.85 is 1.85 yards farther than kicking thru the EZ every time. We must have had a few good stops as some longe returns dis occur.
Yes I do and I see someone has already pointed out that it’s not average starting position. And of course we had some good coverage.

To the poster who said we only remember the bad ones… 129th out of 130. That isn’t good no matter what your memory is like.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Folks the 26.86 number came from the NCAA stats website. Stop giving Root grief for a number he didn’t come up with. If anyone thinks it’s wrong then take it up with the NCAA.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think we were pretty good at stopping some kicks well short of the 25. People tend to remember the ones that end up on the 38 or 45 because there were several missed tackles.
To me, the inconsistency in performance on KO and punt coverage, particularly KO coverage, was problematic. I’d consider we make good strides on PK and punts, did OK with KO, but struggled a bit when GS went down, and were inconsistent on both return teams. Probably a B-/C+ overall. Solid improvement, but room to improve.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Folks the 26.86 number came from the NCAA stats website. Stop giving Root grief for a number he didn’t come up with. If anyone thinks it’s wrong then take it up with the NCAA.
I do not think it is grief over the number, but rather how he is interpreting it and comparing it to touchback starting at the 25 yard line when they are not related in the way he is suggesting.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I do not think it is grief over the number, but rather how he is interpreting it and comparing it to touchback starting at the 25 yard line when they are not related in the way he is suggesting.
I have said several times Stewart’s kicks post injury we’re mostly to about the 5 yard line. I don’t have numbers, however there were only a few that seemed intentional to come down around the 10-15.

You are correct some of the coverage was not great on KOs and punts.

Expecting all KOs to be touchbacks is unrealistic. Most pre injury were. Some were not. The coverage team needs to do their job when the KO isn’t a touchback.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I have said several times Stewart’s kicks post injury we’re mostly to about the 5 yard line. I don’t have numbers, however there were only a few that seemed intentional to come down around the 10-15.

You are correct some of the coverage was not great on KOs and punts.

Expecting all KOs to be touchbacks is unrealistic. Most pre injury were. Some were not. The coverage team needs to do their job when the KO isn’t a touchback.
I will say that yes, some aspects of special teams were significantly better this year than the previous year. My initial response in this thread didn't acknowledge very well that the coaches and team did make some pretty big improvements. The ONE place where we did not do well was KO coverage and I'm hopeful that we see some improvement in that next season.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say that yes, some aspects of special teams were significantly better this year than the previous year. My initial response in this thread didn't acknowledge very well that the coaches and team did make some pretty big improvements. The ONE place where we did not do well was KO coverage and I'm hopeful that we see some improvement in that next season.
I think you’re right, and I think if Brumfield is worth his salt, we’ll be much improved in coverage next season because it takes less practice time to maintain a skill than to develop one, so he should be able to spend more time on coverage and less time on the stuff that he already fixed.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
Alright so I found some data on football database for com and it has KO data for 100 kickers in the 2023 season. The yards per return on Stewart is 27.9 on there, which is good for 99th best out of the 100. Touchbacks per KO: 15th. Returns per KO: 33rd. Returns per KO excluding touchbacks: 95th. Total return yards ÷ kickoffs excluding touchbacks: 100th.

Compared to the best, Stewart's yards per return is 1.9x. And return yards per KO excluding TBs is 3.5x.

So as a unit, the rate of touchbacks wasn't that bad, but coverage of non-touchback kickoffs was dismal. I wonder if UCF caught that weakness in bowl prep and planned to be aggressive on returns.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Here are the returns over our last three games...

UCF
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 49 yard for 47 yard return
Kickoff to the 0 yard line, returned to the 31 yard for 31 yard return
Kickoff to the 4 yard line, returned to the 25 yard for 21 yard return
3 Returns that averaged 33 yards per return and average start at 35 yard line (+10 from touchback)

Ugag
Kickoff to the 11 yard line, returned to the 17 yard for 6 yard return
Kickoff to the 3 yard line, returned to the 36 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 39 yard for 37 yard return
Kickoff to the 15 yard line, returned to GT's 46 yard for 39 yard return
4 Returns that averaged 29 yards per return and average start at 37 yard line (+12 from touchback)

Cuse
Kickoff to the 5 yard line, returned to the 38 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 27 yard for 25 yard return
Kickoff to the -1 yard line, returned to the 26 yard for 27 yard return (fumble)
3 Returns that averaged 28 yards per return and average start at 30 yard line (+5 from touchback)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here are the returns over our last three games...

UCF
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 49 yard for 47 yard return
Kickoff to the 0 yard line, returned to the 31 yard for 31 yard return
Kickoff to the 4 yard line, returned to the 25 yard for 21 yard return
3 Returns that averaged 33 yards per return and average start at 35 yard line (+10 from touchback)

Ugag
Kickoff to the 11 yard line, returned to the 17 yard for 6 yard return
Kickoff to the 3 yard line, returned to the 36 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 39 yard for 37 yard return
Kickoff to the 15 yard line, returned to GT's 46 yard for 39 yard return
4 Returns that averaged 29 yards per return and average start at 37 yard line (+12 from touchback)

Cuse
Kickoff to the 5 yard line, returned to the 38 yard for 33 yard return
Kickoff to the 2 yard line, returned to the 27 yard for 25 yard return
Kickoff to the -1 yard line, returned to the 26 yard for 27 yard return (fumble)
3 Returns that averaged 28 yards per return and average start at 30 yard line (+5 from touchback)
Our coverage unit sucked. Stewart was good until he got hurt. Quality depth matters on STs