Special Ed Conference

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He did go to Northwestern...

Damn good school from the grads I know from there ... in engineering and finance. I think Northwestern probably has a better journalism school than GT.

Note that IF we had gone 0-3 versus 3-0 versus the SEC, it would have been 7-7 and the entire conversation would be different. I think that shows how variable the record is. The ACC needs to win consistently to really flip the conversation.

The ACC can overtake the SEC in the JHowell ratings next year. The ACC is only 1.2% behind the SEC at the end of the season. The ACC started off the season 7.4% (.680-.606) behind. Next year's ranking will have some hangover from this year. It uses an unbiased methodology which rewards past performance.
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2016.htm (scroll to bottom)

Just read this #411 entry from @Boomergump and can't like it enough! Special Ed Conference

Last edited:

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Damn good school from the grads I know from there ... in engineering and finance. I think Northwestern probably has a better journalism school than GT.

Note that IF we had gone 0-3 versus 3-0 versus the SEC, it would have been 7-7 and the entire conversation would be different. I think that shows how variable the record is. The ACC needs to win consistently to really flip the conversation.

The ACC can overtake the SEC in the JHowell ratings next year. The ACC is only 1.2% behind the SEC at the end of the season. The ACC started off the season 7.4% (.680-.606) behind. Next year's ranking will have some hangover from this year. It uses an unbiased methodology which rewards past performance.

Just read this #411 entry from @Boomergump and can't like it enough! Special Ed Conference

Northwestern is an extremely tough school academically. Charlton Heston graduated from there Class of 1943.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Come on guys! I'm poking at the perception that they're the "Vandy" of the B1G, not really considered when discussing football. Their students have a similar reputation regarding sports that GT students do (as a whole). I live 5 miles from the campus. Academics, very strong; athletic knowledge, well...not so much! Therefore it's easy to jab at NW journalism majors who get into sports journalism (if you can call it journalism still).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Really? You couldn't see the humor in my response? I thought it was hilarious. Any chance to take a crack at B1G football is worth taking!

Just an FYI, I have met Ken and agree he's an easy guy to like. He went to the same HS my boys are at in Chicago. After one of the Spring games, he saw my oldest son's HS swimming shirt and chased us down in front of Peters. Had about an hour conversation. He's funny when he speaks about trying to ask CPJ thoughtful questions that turn out to sound not so thoughtful when said aloud.

I think Ken does a good job in GT coverage. He does have the "deer in the headlights" choke when it comes to asking CPJ questions. Reminds me of my mother-in-law who would completely come unfocused at the counter when ordering a meal. She would panic and order things she would never eat. She was otherwise a very organized person but for some reason she totally lost her composure/memory/ability to communicate when she heard those words "what will you have ma'm? CPJ seems to have the affect on Ken to scramble his thoughts and words beyond comprehension. I once had a boss who had that effect on virtually everyone.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Ken does a good job in GT coverage. He does have the "deer in the headlights" choke when it comes to asking CPJ questions. Reminds me of my mother-in-law who would completely come unfocused at the counter when ordering a meal. She would panic and order things she would never eat. She was otherwise a very organized person but for some reason she totally lost her composure/memory/ability to communicate when she heard those words "what will you have ma'm? CPJ seems to have the affect on Ken to scramble his thoughts and words beyond comprehension. I once had a boss who had that effect on virtually everyone.

That's hilarious. I'd take her to lunch every day just to watch that happen. "Ahhh, uhhhmm lemme get the squirrel omelet, please, with a side o' broiled possum! hyuk, hyuk."

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BTW, don't let any of your buddies from the SEC talk to you about match ups etc being the determining factor in this season's record. We (the ACC) beat both of the SEC's division champs and their conference champ as a part of the mix.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Come on guys! I'm poking at the perception that they're the "Vandy" of the B1G, not really considered when discussing football. Their students have a similar reputation regarding sports that GT students do (as a whole). I live 5 miles from the campus. Academics, very strong; athletic knowledge, well...not so much! Therefore it's easy to jab at NW journalism majors who get into sports journalism (if you can call it journalism still).

NP. I think NorthWestern and GT are very similar in academic culture.

Hate to break it to ya super but you're in the wrong here.
How am I in the wrong? There is no word "university" in the name of the school. It has always been either the Georgia School of Technology or the Georgia Institute of Technology. Just like MIT and Cal Tech are not universities. That word may be a commonly used term to describe all colleges, but it is incorrectly used.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget some of those Nattys are due to favorable rankings and sports press hype. The year Bammer played LSU for the title, the Natty was just handed to the SEC. That was a joke. I am not trying to say they weren't a good conference, maybe even the best, but they didn't have to earn it like any champion should. Sadly, we will never know. Even if the SEC gets their act back together, a playoff system will reduce greatly the number of their titles, as it should.
I think (LSU-Bama) game was the straw that broke the (BCS) back. A game shoved down the throats of every non sec fan.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How am I in the wrong? There is no word "university" in the name of the school. It has always been either the Georgia School of Technology or the Georgia Institute of Technology. Just like MIT and Cal Tech are not universities. That word may be a commonly used term to describe all colleges, but it is incorrectly used.
By definition, Georgia Institute of Technology or Georgia Tech is a university. To say otherwise suggests you don't understand what a university is. We are a university because: 1) we offer multiple undergranduate programs; 2) we are a collection of various colleges; 3) we offer postgraduate degrees is multiple programs.

A university (Latin: universitas, "a whole", "a corporation") is an institution of higher (or tertiary) education and research which grants academic degrees in various subjects. Universities typically provide undergraduate education and postgraduate education.

Taken from http://www.gatech.edu/about on our website:

Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.

As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.

There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century