Special Ed Conference

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
We're all enjoying this banner bowl season of the SEC going 1-4 so far. But remember these teams were just middle-of-the pack. Alabama can still hang their hats on their quality wins over several 4-loss SEC teams and USC. It's just too bad we can't see Auburn, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, and USC all lose before Alabama plays Washington on NYE. Seriously if that trifecta of Auburn, Florida, and LSU could all lose, then there'd be none left in the top 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That's why we need a real playoff. I can't get over the fact that college football fans will let a committee tell us who has the worthy teams and who is the worthy conference so ESPN can make more money. Everyone else, FCS, division 2 and every other sport has a real playoff. Yet we sit back and let ESPN dictate to us who is the champion. I just hope the wall tumbles in my lifetime.

Fwiw, I think the hundred years of bowl history plays a bigger role than espn

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to take the power that's ours as the fans funding the present system but obviously we won't. It will take an "event" to get us to 8 and I'm hoping for 16 like every other football division. Events like SEC not in the playoff although they guard against that by not playing anybody out of conference. Draft picks not playing in non playoff bowls is showing some progress. It's a matter of when.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think 8 is the magic number. Conf champs plus a couple of worthy non champs. This makes winning your conference that much more important. 16 may start to dilute the import of the regular season a bit but wouldn't be a travesty. More than 16 would be.

Oh yeah, go frogs!! To Hell With ga!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Welllllll..... there is still Bama in the west.....but I get your point for the sec east ;)
Think back to the aftermath of the championship in 2014. FSU won and SEC fans immediately said that FSU was really more like an SEC team and should probably be in that conference. So the ACC got no credit that year even though the natty went to the ACC.

This year, if Bama wins the natty, we need to say that they play more like an ACC team.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I think 8 is the magic number. Conf champs plus a couple of worthy non champs. This makes winning your conference that much more important. 16 may start to dilute the import of the regular season a bit but wouldn't be a travesty. More than 16 would be.

Oh yeah, go frogs!! To Hell With ga!!
I understand that we are accustomed to the way it is and the narrative that it takes away from the regular season but every other football division has a 16 team tournament. FBS, Division 2, high school, I don't watch the NFL so I'm not sure about them. Every other college sport has a comprehensive playoff where a true champion is crowned. All but FBS football? It's ridiculous.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Personally I believe that all of the P5 except B12 have already caught up with and surpassed them. However, if you allow the spinsters to change the metrics every week to fit the current situation, the SEC will always be the best conference by their measurements.
This.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is that I am a big Horned Frog AND Husky fan this week.

An Alabama loss would devastate the SEC mantra and be bitter for a long long off season. Even though Washington is a 4-1 underdog (20% chance to win), they could win. Stranger things have happened.
Betting against Peterson when he was at Boise usually didn't work out very well.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Let's say Baammer loses. Are they automatically ranked #2 or god forbid they would be ranked as low as #3?

I would have thought the SEC would have put a clause in the contract allowing the SEC Team to be ranked #1 if based on their assessment they won more games against tough teams than one of the lesser conferences like the ACC where there's apparently not much competition. We all know that the only games the ACC has won against the SEC this year have been against the dregs of the conference. Not like anyone beat any of the SEC top teams. Those should be the only ones that really count.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Being out here in Boise my experience with Coach Pete is that yes his team will be prepared.
He will keep it close, but without turnovers or UA laying an egg, I don't think Washington has the horses to pull the upset.
I look forward to watching the game and pulling for the upset, which could cause a "household crisis" ... my wife was born in Dothan, Alabama and with my daughters are closet UA fans ???

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Being out here in Boise my experience with Coach Pete is that yes his team will be prepared.
He will keep it close, but without turnovers or UA laying an egg, I don't think Washington has the horses to pull the upset.
I look forward to watching the game and pulling for the upset, which could cause a "household crisis" ... my wife was born in Dothan, Alabama and with my daughters are closet UA fans ???
Also, the Pac 12 has looked as bad, if not worse, than the SEC so far in the bowls, so UW may not even be as good as we think they are.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Strangely, right now it's:
1. ACC/B1G (tie)
3. BIG XII
4. PAC
5. SEC

That could have been a lot worse for PAC if ranked Utah hadn't scraped past Indiana in the PAC's only win. Just like how the SEC needed a FG block to beat a 6-6 MAC team in their only win so far.

I think it's been a worse bowl season so far for the PAC because of the drubbing a 10th ranked Colorado received last night. The SEC has had no high profile losses so far.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That could have been a lot worse for PAC if ranked Utah hadn't scraped past Indiana in the PAC's only win. Just like how the SEC needed a FG block to beat a 6-6 MAC team in their only win so far.

I think it's been a worse bowl season so far for the PAC because of the drubbing a 10th ranked Colorado received last night. The SEC has had no high profile losses so far.
That's actually about how I would rank the conferences this year. I'd put the SEC over the PAC12 though.