Southern

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Lammers has played the entire 2nd half so far at the under 4 timeout. Clearly winded but he's only gotten sloppy once or twice.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you are right and CJP will channel his inner Dean Smith.
I just don't see Q as a 3 in the ACC. Stretch 4 he has a shot but with AD I don't see it unless we commit to playing zone.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Pro's:
- Okogie + Tadric are a handful!
- Defense to offense transition on turnover
- System seems to suit Lammers
- Attacking rim/getting easy points and getting to the line
- Zone shows promise (long out front)

Con's:
- Free throws
- Ball security
- Rebounding (backside of zone)
- Still some standing around on offense

The Con's are correctable.

Overall - this is a good outing. I like what I see. This is fun basketball.

/

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe you are right and CJP will channel his inner Dean Smith.
I just don't see Q as a 3 in the ACC. Stretch 4 he has a shot but with AD I don't see it unless we commit to playing zone.
We are playing zone because the freshmen are getting killed and into foul trouble early in Man to Man defense.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm glad that basketball is back, and that we are somewhat moving the ball around. I'm not expecting big things this year, but we have to make more three's and hit free throws if we are going to win in the ACC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Imagine if we had the ability to put in and develop a defensive presence like Lammers last year... :banghead:

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Imagine if we had the ability to put in and develop a defensive presence like Lammers last year... :banghead:
We may have won more games earlier in the year and possibly may have made the tourney and Gregory would have saved his job. Nah...I like it this way better lol

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A zone works well with our roster. Both Q and AD have long arms for the wings (cue Jay Bilas "wingspan") and we have a prototypical shot blocker in the middle. Any combo of a PG and Jax/Okogie out front is a pretty good look overall and nothing to be ashamed of on that end. It gives us the ability to hide our foot speed weaknesses better and also hide guys with fouls given our short bench.

On top of that our zone sets looked well schooled already, at least so far against inferior competition where we don't have to close out /recover a lot. Mixing in a little 1-3-1 and match-up zone gives us some unpredictability. Changing up the look mid-possession as well is something you see out of Louisville and not many teams are disciplined enough to do it.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
A zone works well with our roster. Both Q and AD have long arms for the wings (cue Jay Bilas "wingspan") and we have a prototypical shot blocker in the middle. Any combo of a PG and Jax/Okogie out front is a pretty good look overall and nothing to be ashamed of on that end. It gives us the ability to hide our foot speed weaknesses better and also hide guys with fouls given our short bench.

On top of that our zone sets looked well schooled already, at least so far against inferior competition where we don't have to close out /recover a lot. Mixing in a little 1-3-1 and match-up zone gives us some unpredictability. Changing up the look mid-possession as well is something you see out of Louisville and not many teams are disciplined enough to do it.
From your post I can tell you see something I see as well...a level of discipline and buy in to the brand of CJP's principles and overall execution of them.For this early there pretty solid in the decisionmaking/turnover department,and have closed games...the comp isn't elite but it's nice to see us looking like a program on the rise.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I had to miss this one, but good to see the comments in thread and teh box score to get some sense of how we played. Happy to know Tadric is back and sounds like he played well. Okogie is going to be fun to watch. Lammers clearly finding his niche now that the logjam of grad transfers is out of his way in the post.
Biggest surprise to me is Corey Heyward. Honestly, I'm happy for him. Seems like a good and he stuck it out when many would've graduated and left. Nice to see him have some good minutes after the last couple of seasons

Ohio will be tougher game than either of the last two, but I still believe we should win

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
From your post I can tell you see something I see as well...a level of discipline and buy in to the brand of CJP's principles and overall execution of them.For this early there pretty solid in the decisionmaking/turnover department,and have closed games...the comp isn't elite but it's nice to see us looking like a program on the rise.
I do see that... there is a palpable commitment to CJP's vision and style thus far.

To be clear the level of competition we've faced is no small caveat for me. Let's see what our zone looks like when we plays teams that can drive/create/dish and rinse/repeat. Our new zone D will be challenged physically and mentally, and we'll see just how bought in we are.

Nor is it lost on me that our current roster has a ceiling. So, as long as we play smart, tough and committed, I will (hopefully) be willing to accept the results.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
the biggest concern I (and others) had with CJP was his teams at Memphis played OOC - pretty much street ball. I couldn't watch his team last year even though I tried several times. that we are seeing a structure and dicipline on both O and D is the best news one could get.

We will see how this team progresses as the competition ratchets up. With Q at the 3 we have a real issue with footspeed so the zone is essential.

Haven't changed my expectations for the season yet. If we can beat Ohio that would be a real step forward.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is still a work in progress. We are not a good FT shooting team, but this was bad tonight. Okogie, Lammers, and TJ are solid.

Ohio will be more of a challenge, so steady improvement is absolutely necessary.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Lammers - 23 points, 15 boards, 9 blocks - what a night! We haven't seen too many triple doubles at Tech over the years.

CJP said he was pleased with the pace tonight. He mentioned if we hit our FTs we would have been close to 90 points and that's where he wants us to be. He did say we have zero margin of error with this club. Doesn't CPJ say the same thing????

CJP also praised Ohio - said it will be one of our toughest non-conference foes and he said that their point guard is ACC caliber.