Southern

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IIrc, CMatt had a pretty nice shot in HS. Maybe after the game slows down for him, he'll be able to get comfortable and contribute more in scoring.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Given the other positives we're seeing, this team could be merely bottom 1/4 of the ACC rather than the historically bad team I'd feared. If Q can ever harness his shot, we could surprise a few middle-tier ACC teams as well.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been to all three games - seen improvement and effort which is all I think we can hope for this year- but this team still is going to end up with a minimum 10 to at most 13 wins given the talent and experience level (and how tough the ACC is this year).

Offensive style - so much more fun to watch than Gregory's system it's not funny. And it will attract recruits over time ... movement/pace/structure has gotten better each game.
Rebounding - not the focus is was under Gregory. Last night was better than against Tennessee Tech - but a real weakness vs previous teams that will hurt some games.
Shooting - jury still out, but this is not a great shooting team. Only Okogie (primarily on the drive) and Tadric can create their own shot. Ball and player movement to get open shots is key.
Depth - not much (that is ready to play at this level). The two grad xfers are role players at best, Matthews has potential but not ready for ACC at this time.
-- One thing that will change is Heath being able to play. We really need steady play at point - Moore is too inconsistent at this time and Heyward has limited skills (he did nice job last night).
----- Too hard to say how good this team will be until Heath is back, and Tadric at full speed.
----- CJP really shortened the bench (expect that in ACC play ... but not against SWAC teams) ... but he has to else things get too inconsistent.
Defense - at times each game I thought we were Syracuse with all the zone - which is something I think this team needs to do a lot of ... protect more from foul trouble, lack of depth, etc. Like most GT teams last decade or so, this one has trouble stopping dribble penetration when man-to-man .. and can not afford for Lammers to be on the bench in foul trouble.

Lammers - improvement and confidence is so much higher than last year. Solid ACC center - middle of the pack (in ACC). We really have no one close to his level to back him up .
Okogie - should be high level ACC player in a year ... easily best of the freshman. Shooting is a little suspect, but does a lot of good things. Love his 'motor' - non stop effort.
Tadric - I agree this system fits him a lot better. He is the best scorer and one that will have the ball in close games down the stretch. Should end up leading team in scoring.
Heath - need to see him out there, but if just as good as last year we need him out there to compete ... the other PG's are too inconsistent
.... those would play on any team in the ACC

Q - we need his shooting and steady play to win ... but he's really an ACC level role player that is having to play starter minutes
Gueye - started last two - really effective on defense - much improved of offense - will be interesting to see how he develops - does some good and some bad (mainly dumb TO) right now.
Ogbondo could be good, but that's a year or two away. Way to 'raw' right now. Does play hard.
Moore - potential, but way too many mistakes... this team has nearly no margin for error to beat a top 50-60 team .... expect he will improve - but right now a roller coaster when he has the ball
Matthews - potential, would not play on high level ACC teams right now, but could develop ... does both good and bad things right now
Hayward - we've seen him for 3 seasons, plays within himself - did make two nice open three's last night.
McCormick/Price - have not impressed in their limited minutes.

I think this is an accurate description so far.
It feels like we have potential high level ACC players in TJ, Lammers and Okogie.
Probably 2 ACC level role players - Heath and Q.
Everyone else is either not really ACC quality or is someone that needs to develop to become ACC level (AD, CMatt, Moore maybe ogbonda)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Given the other positives we're seeing, this team could be merely bottom 1/4 of the ACC rather than the historically bad team I'd feared. If Q can ever harness his shot, we could surprise a few middle-tier ACC teams as well.
We have all been there, so you have plenty of company. Myself included. As hard as it is to admit, waiting for Q to "harness his shot" is clearly a fool's errand. He is a senior and has been erratic his entire GT career. I like Q and think he contributes in other ways, but counting on his shot is like hoping Italian trains will arrive on time. It might happen, but don't count on it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We have all been there, so you have plenty of company. Myself included. As hard as it is to admit, waiting for Q to "harness his shot" is clearly a fool's errand. He is a senior and has been erratic his entire GT career. I like Q and think he contributes in other ways, but counting on his shot is like hoping Italian trains will arrive on time. It might happen, but don't count on it.

good analogy on Q
somebody made comment 4 yrs ago in recruitingthat at 6-7 with long arms he could be at top in 1-3-1, funny for the first time we run zone
one game he will go 6-8 on 3s, hope it is vs uga again

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I actually made that comment. His AAU team would run 1-3-1 with him at the top.
I actually like 1-3-1 with this team and hope we use it at times throughout the year.
I think the best bet for this team is to be able to mix it up. Play a little man, a little 2-3, a little 1-3-1. Try to catch teams off guard for a couple of possessions and hopefully take advantage when you do.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I actually like 1-3-1 with this team and hope we use it at times throughout the year.
I think the best bet for this team is to be able to mix it up. Play a little man, a little 2-3, a little 1-3-1. Try to catch teams off guard for a couple of possessions and hopefully take advantage when you do.

He actually swapped zones mid possession against Southern and they immediately called a TO if IIRC. Haven't seen that at GT in a while

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm a huge proponent of this kind of defensive strategy. We did the same thing when I coached AAU years ago. We put a premium on every possession, which is the same strategy CJP is employing.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Red,
I haven't seen them---is one of the reasons we are getting out-rebounded is the zones and nobody knows how to stifle the Off rebounders (and not block out)

and/or-are we leaving our feet to "block everything" that if we miss the block we are out of position for rebs?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Red,
I haven't seen them---is one of the reasons we are getting out-rebounded is the zones and nobody knows how to stifle the Off rebounders (and not block out)

and/or-are we leaving our feet to "block everything" that if we miss the block we are out of position for rebs?
In rebounding, height is very important and significant differences can overcome other factors. But, absent those differences, positioning is the most important factor. Next is quickness.

It is more difficult to find and box out your opponent in a zone defense than in a M2M defense. That is just one of the reasons zone defenses have become less popular today.

But, that is one of the reasons a 1-3-1 works so well. One of ways you attack a 1-3-1 is to position good shooters on the baseline extended. Because of the gaggle of bodies in the paint it is difficult to attack inside. Without getting too technical, you do not get much benefit from having inside presence attacking that zone. So, why aren't more teams playing a 1-3-1? It's a difficult defense to play.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've only seen one game in person, but the biggest reason for the rebounding has been simply alot of long shots that have had long rebounds. Rebounds close to the basket have been pretty solid, but our opponents have been getting more of the long rebounds.

I haven't seen a big issue with 'leaving the feet' to block shots. Lammers is actually really good about that and often blocks shots without jumping at all.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
That is just one of the reasons zone defenses have become less popular today.

Without getting too technical, you do not get much benefit from having inside presence attacking that zone. So, why aren't more teams playing a 1-3-1? It's a difficult defense to play.

Excellent post. Agree with everything you said :) I would also add that the 3-point line has made all zone configurations much less popular as zones tend to leave open wing and or baseline jumpers for 3. If you extend the zone to take that away, the FT line and dotted line in the paint are vulnerable. Tough to take away both the 3 and the high post with zone. Not impossible, but tough.

Think we will see lots of zone this year due to depth concerns as well as foot speed / lateral quickness concerns at the 3. A front line of Q, AD & Lammers has a ton of height and length for the back line of a 2-3. Okogie, Tadric, Heath and Moore give us nice height on the front as well. If we go 1-3-1, Q is a nice front man with Lammers in the middle and Okogie running baseline. (I've always felt that baseline guy is the key to any 1-3-1.) If we go that route, we probably have to take out AD and have two quicker guys on the wings (Tadric & Moore). I don't think this solves all our issues, but should be more effective than man, which will expose lots of individual defensive gaps

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW most AAU teams and a lot of HS teams that I see have gone to the 1-2-2 zone as a way to cover the corner 3. Not worried nearly as much about the high post. Many run it with the point guy coming way down to the paint when the ball goes to the corner and play games with wings cutting the passing lanes to the high post. Don't see it nearly as much in college as most college teams have enough of an inside game that can kill this zone. But if I was playing a high end perimeter oriented team I would think about it as you can cover the wings and have at least a shot at getting to the corner - more than a 1-3-1

For GT in a 1-3-1 I would also look at AD on the baseline. Limited viewing on my part for sure but it looks like he has the bounce to be able to run the baseline pretty well.