Southern going after Coach Bryan Cook

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul Johnson already has hire in mind to replace Bryan Cook

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/p...nd-replace-bryan-cook/ksufQEDSHiGDC8u0hYL7VN/

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said he already knows whom he wants to hire to replace quarterbacks and B-backs coach Bryan Cook, who has been hired as offensive coordinator at Georgia Southern.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for him,” Johnson said. “He thought about it a year ago and they didn’t want to give him a two-year contract or whatever. The AD (Tom Kleinlein) didn’t want to do it and (Cook) didn’t go and this year, they did, so hopefully he’ll go down there and do a good job for ’em.”

This is interesting that they approached Cook last year and wouldn't meet his price.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I live in Statesboro. The majority of folks I've talked to have been very pleased with the hire. These people also understand the nature of big time college football and Southern's place in that pecking order.

On the other hand, before the hire of Cook, I had a friend tell me with a straight face that he didn't think Southern should go back to a triple option spread because it hurts recruiting. He further elaborated that if Southern's ultimate goal is to win national championships years down the road, he didn't think that getting pigeon holed as a triple option spread team was the way to go. After I chugged the rest of my beer, I explained to him that Southern, as currently constituted was never going to win recruiting battles for 5-star drop back passers and that running something different on offense made much more sense because a) you're recruiting different type players; and b) your opposition doesn't see it every week. We then engaged in a long talk about what Southern needed to do to get into a power 5 conference. The point I tried to make to him was that there's a reason why Ohio State and Alabama are always good. It's because of name cache and money, neither of which Georgia Southern has. In order for them to even get to conference USA or the AAC, they'd need a massive injection of money and they'd need to start winning conference titles, repeatedly, in multiple sports. Their best shot of doing that now is to run something on offense that they can recruit to and that is a little different.

I love this guy. He's a good friend, is very sincere and not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. Nevertheless, I don't think he's representative of the majority of their fan base. Sometimes people's opinions about the state of their own program astound me. I assume we have some of those fans too.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I live in Statesboro.
I was in the 'Boro this past weekend for son's graduation. Spent a few nights at the Parkwood RV park. Freedom's flight still leaves the biggest impression on me even after 2 seasons of daughter being in marching band and 2 graduations!!! I love seeing the Wreck lead out our players but a soaring Bald Eagle gives me chill bumps.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I live in Statesboro. The majority of folks I've talked to have been very pleased with the hire. These people also understand the nature of big time college football and Southern's place in that pecking order.

On the other hand, before the hire of Cook, I had a friend tell me with a straight face that he didn't think Southern should go back to a triple option spread because it hurts recruiting. He further elaborated that if Southern's ultimate goal is to win national championships years down the road, he didn't think that getting pigeon holed as a triple option spread team was the way to go. After I chugged the rest of my beer, I explained to him that Southern, as currently constituted was never going to win recruiting battles for 5-star drop back passers and that running something different on offense made much more sense because a) you're recruiting different type players; and b) your opposition doesn't see it every week. We then engaged in a long talk about what Southern needed to do to get into a power 5 conference. The point I tried to make to him was that there's a reason why Ohio State and Alabama are always good. It's because of name cache and money, neither of which Georgia Southern has. In order for them to even get to conference USA or the AAC, they'd need a massive injection of money and they'd need to start winning conference titles, repeatedly, in multiple sports. Their best shot of doing that now is to run something on offense that they can recruit to and that is a little different.

I love this guy. He's a good friend, is very sincere and not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. Nevertheless, I don't think he's representative of the majority of their fan base. Sometimes people's opinions about the state of their own program astound me. I assume we have some of those fans too.
Maybe net time remind him Johnson won two national championships, and with three teams running his offense this season, all three are in bowl games.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe net time remind him Johnson won two national championships, and with three teams running his offense this season, all three are in bowl games.

I mean I did, but he's more of an NFL guy. If it doesn't look like what they do on Sunday, then it must be rinky-dink, you know? In no way was he defending how crappy they were this year. He just thinks that Southern should get better coaches to teach a pro-style offense because that's the path to greatness. The point I was trying to make is that Southern isn't going to consistently win enough recruiting battles to run the same offense that everyone else does and be wildly successful. I think that went over his head.

It's like what's happened in the SEC. Everyone wants to copy Saban's blue print. Nobody can beat him, so they run off good coaches in the hopes of getting a Saban clone. Well that's dumb, because if you run the exact same stuff as Saban does, then he's going to out athlete you. Some of his "program building" techniques are really smart, but a lot of them would only work at a place like Alabama with a truly inexhaustible budget. If I'm in the SEC, I'm not running what they run on offense and defense. I don't want to be a mirror image of Alabama. I want to throw stuff at them that they don't see every week.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
GSU has a money issue, just like a bunch of teams. They couldn't match Tulane for their last coach. Think about that for a moment. "Tulane"!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I mean I did, but he's more of an NFL guy. If it doesn't look like what they do on Sunday, then it must be rinky-dink, you know? In no way was he defending how crappy they were this year. He just thinks that Southern should get better coaches to teach a pro-style offense because that's the path to greatness. The point I was trying to make is that Southern isn't going to consistently win enough recruiting battles to run the same offense that everyone else does and be wildly successful. I think that went over his head.

It's like what's happened in the SEC. Everyone wants to copy Saban's blue print. Nobody can beat him, so they run off good coaches in the hopes of getting a Saban clone. Well that's dumb, because if you run the exact same stuff as Saban does, then he's going to out athlete you. Some of his "program building" techniques are really smart, but a lot of them would only work at a place like Alabama with a truly inexhaustible budget. If I'm in the SEC, I'm not running what they run on offense and defense. I don't want to be a mirror image of Alabama. I want to throw stuff at them that they don't see every week.
You know, while a ot of us disagree, simply not liking this offense is enough reason to want something else. If one does not appreciate it, doesn't understand it -- they won't understand any of the others, either, but they see them more often and so they must be good -- and wants to be rid of it, no other reason is necessary. Convince yourself that all that is needed for a NC is a different offense, which leads to terrific recruiting and slews of 5-stars on your doorstep, and all else pales. (There seems to be a segment that thinks you can still be Georgia Tech and win national championships; no problem. You can't. No point in reviving the curriculum argument -- three years ago I tried to help recruit a running back for my small liberal arts college. He said no. He wanted "a bigger college" and was willing to sit on the bench in exchange. But as long as it got his desire who was I to argue?) Game over. You have won the argument; he just won't fall down. It's the Dr. Fell Syndrome: he doesn't like it and doesn't know why, he just knows he doesn't like it. If it is any consolation, you are right.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
The other scuttlebutt I heard was if they had made the decision to fire Summers, Cook would have been the guy they would have approached about the head coaching position.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bryan Cook reflects as time at Tech winds down

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/bryan-cook-reflects-time-tech-winds-down/ZSGDjLj2KjKIsNWxtRtrIJ/

Cook praised coach Paul Johnson for his example, saying that he has “been awesome to me since the day I got back on campus with my interview.” Cook, who served as a graduate assistant at Tech 2001-03, said that he has learned from Johnson not only football and the offensive scheme, but also how he handles different personalities and acts with consistency.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Bryan Cook reflects as time at Tech winds down

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/bryan-cook-reflects-time-tech-winds-down/ZSGDjLj2KjKIsNWxtRtrIJ/

Cook praised coach Paul Johnson for his example, saying that he has “been awesome to me since the day I got back on campus with my interview.” Cook, who served as a graduate assistant at Tech 2001-03, said that he has learned from Johnson not only football and the offensive scheme, but also how he handles different personalities and acts with consistency.
The boy does know how to go out, doesn't he?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Why is that embarrassing? Colleges are supposed to be releasing this type of information to the media in the form of press releases.
Maybe because the WJCL website has the girl soortscaster's name on the story. Big Guy musta had the day off. I don't know of another sports anchor who works as hard as he does. A good dude to boot and also about as even-handed as you'll find in Deep South Georgia when it comes to Tech (full disclosure - he's also a good friend of mine)