Southern going after Coach Bryan Cook

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Could be leaving GT? Will get to control the offense again, and may become an issue of compensation. Would definitely be a loss. One of the young up and comers on our staff.

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/

Georgia Southern: Sources tell FootballScoop Tyson Summers has now offered his offensive coordinator position to Georgia Tech quaterbacks / B-backs coach Bryan Cook. Summers is clearly looking to bring the triple back to Statesboro. We expect a decision on this later today.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The exciting thing about CBC is that it would have some Pistol/TO mix. Some call it the Muskegee Option. Its the same base Flexbone sets just out of the pistol. Would love to see us mix it in every once in a while.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
The exciting thing about CBC is that it would have some Pistol/TO mix. Some call it the Muskegee Option. Its the same base Flexbone sets just out of the pistol. Would love to see us mix it in every once in a while.
The "ski gun." My BIL is an OC, and that's what he likes. It overcomes the lack of size on the OL by using lots of pulling linemen and misdirection. Takes lots of practice, which might be why you can't just "mix it in," but it's fun to watch when it's clicking....

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The "ski gun." My BIL is an OC, and that's what he likes. It overcomes the lack of size on the OL by using lots of pulling linemen and misdirection. Takes lots of practice, which might be why you can't just "mix it in," but it's fun to watch when it's clicking....
I don't know a whole lot about it other than YouTube. But it definitely looks exciting.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I love our offense. The only thing that intrigues me about the "Ski" gun is that it does allow a second more on the read.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I love our offense. The only thing that intrigues me about the "Ski" gun is that it does allow a second more on the read.
It is interesting. It just takes a lot of reps, especially for the QB and backs. There's a LOT of ball-handling (heh heh) in that offense. Fakes, reads, gives, keeps. Just takes some reps. Some getting used to. I'm not sure it'd be prudent to take time away from prepping a new starter to run CPJ's offense to add in more new stuff.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that's a bug, not a feature. A second more read time for the O = a second more read time for the D. I believe that's the reason that Coach has always reverted to a pure vanilla version of the Tech spread. The speed the O runs at is almost impossible for other teams to duplicate in practice and, with the right personnel, that speed is deadly.
Of course, there's a down side to that. It takes everybody longer to get to where they are comfortable with that speed and even experienced players - especially QBs - miss reads all the time. We've had several fumbles this year due to BBs (both did it) not sensing that JT was pulling the ball. We've also had several times where we lost yards due to JT missing the inside give read. And that's just this year.
Still, I'll take it. I also hope Coach Cook stays.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

It looks like interesting.
Not sure why GT couldn't run them there are shotgun plays in the playbook.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
GS cleared up 460K of salary from last season from 3 offensive coaches. The highest paid were the Co-Offensive Coordinators at 150K and 165K. If they offer Cook a slight raise to 210K, that would leave them 250K for two more assistants without increasing the budget.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

It looks like interesting.
Not sure why GT couldn't run them there are shotgun plays in the playbook.

That's the Chad Morris offense that Watson runs so well. Just straighten up and get it off within two counts. With the right receivers it is very hard to slow down, and when you bring up safeties to help out they will step back and go long.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is a plus in my book. Let him spread his wings and maybe he becomes HC at Southern. Then when CPJ retires, we'll just scoop up an up and coming but seasoned option head coach with a bunch of neat wrinkles.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It's official; probably going to promote Craig Candeto to that position from GA since he was with PJ at Navy and has been on staff at Tech.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's official; probably going to promote Craig Candeto to that position from GA since he was with PJ at Navy and has been on staff at Tech.

Candeto is not a GA. He's director of football operations. He was a head coach at a small college before so he has coaching experience and of course was QB under Johnson at Navy. Seems like a perfect fit. I like Candeto a lot and would love if he got the job.