Southern going after Coach Bryan Cook

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if Cook might take Washington with him. He will need offensive assistants and Tevin knows the offense and would probably be willing to take what southern could afford to pay another assistant after they have ponied up for Cook.​

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Cook might take Washington with him. He will need offensive assistants and Tevin knows the offense and would probably be willing to take what southern could afford to pay another assistant after they have ponied up for Cook.​

I think Tevin still has more year of GA studies to finish up

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I would think Tevin would want to finish his Masters degree at GT first.

Wouldn't surprise me to see BC reach out to Steven Sylvester who was a LB, then a grad assistant here. He's the RB coach down in Jacksonville now after 3 years as a GA at GT. Sylvester worked closely with Cook as a GA.

A little more about it herre:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/01/15/steven-sylvester-launching-coaching-career/

Connections opened the door for Sylvester. Jacksonville’s new coach is Ian Shields, who came to the school after two seasons at Lenoir-Rhyne. Prior to that, he was offensive coordinator at Army, where he ran – you guessed it – a version of coach Paul Johnson’s spread-option offense. Shields was an occasional visitor to Tech, often visiting Tech quarterbacks and B-backs coach and friend Bryan Cook, for whom Sylvester worked. When Sylvester found out Shields had gotten the Jacksonville job, he asked if Cook would put in a word on his behalf. Sylvester had been prepped by Tech coaches to prepare for a potentially long wait for a job, perhaps even a year, but soon after a first conversation with Shields, he got another call.

Last edited:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
And if Cook goes I want to see a GSU game in 2017 to see what he brings to the movement.)

Southern is losing a lot on offense. Both top two QBs are done, Ellison and Upshaw, as is Breida at RB and maybe Crockett and B.J. Johnson too. Summers managed to keep the redshirt on Shai Werts, a QB out of South Carolina (IIRC). They played the Shuman kid at QB for a couple of games and he's more of a passer. The running game did little to nothing in those games. Southern's offensive line also needs work. It's a big rebuilding job just for next year. The front seven on the D is going to get hit hard by graduation. Fields and Ramsby are back at RB next year but I don't think scheme alone can salve what ails the Eagles offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My SIL went to Southern & she is excited about this hire. She told me that GaSou fans/bloggers would love to have CPJ back! I told her they could only get Cook!!!!!

Surprisingly, there's quite a number of Southern fans who are less than excited about this hire. I guess they'll be happy when Cook's offense is putting up 400+ yards of offense and scoring 40 points a game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Surprisingly, there's quite a number of Southern fans who are less than excited about this hire. I guess they'll be happy when Cook's offense is putting up 400+ yards of offense and scoring 40 points a game.
Hmmmmmmm. Doesn't seem to have helped Coach much with a vocal part of our fan base. There are some people who want "excitement" over everything else out of college football. Make me wonder what the rest of their lives are like.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmmmm. Doesn't seem to have helped Coach much with a vocal part of our fan base. There are some people who want "excitement" over everything else out of college football. Make me wonder what the rest of their lives are like.

I can't watch pro ball anymore and can't stand much of college football because it is not exciting and it is not football. Hiking the ball to a tall throwing machine in short punt formation and watching him within 2 1/2 seconds zip a 4 yard pass to a giant working for rebound position to catch the ball is not my idea of exciting football. On the other hand the flexbone draws my excitement as it requires coordinated teamwork (and you do not know the outcome of the play even while it is being developed) which is what football is all about...lots of blocking and tackling mixed in with the occasional big play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I can't watch pro ball anymore and can't stand much of college football because it is not exciting and it is not football. Hiking the ball to a tall throwing machine in short punt formation and watching him within 2 1/2 seconds zip a 4 yard pass to a giant working for rebound position to catch the ball is not my idea of exciting football. On the other hand the flexbone draws my excitement as it requires coordinated teamwork (and you do not know the outcome of the play even while it is being developed) which is what football is all about...lots of blocking and tackling mixed in with the occasional big play.
I don't enjoy watching that 4 yard pass over and over again like you see so much in college, but I just don't see it being bad in the pros. There are so many teams not doing that, actually way more teams are not doing that compared to teams that are doing it. There are also a ton of colleges that don't do it either.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Southern is losing a lot on offense. Both top two QBs are done, Ellison and Upshaw, as is Breida at RB and maybe Crockett and B.J. Johnson too. Summers managed to keep the redshirt on Shai Werts, a QB out of South Carolina (IIRC). They played the Shuman kid at QB for a couple of games and he's more of a passer. The running game did little to nothing in those games. Southern's offensive line also needs work. It's a big rebuilding job just for next year. The front seven on the D is going to get hit hard by graduation. Fields and Ramsby are back at RB next year but I don't think scheme alone can salve what ails the Eagles offense.
looks like he might be joining Johnson and Monken with a first year of misery.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't enjoy watching that 4 yard pass over and over again like you see so much in college, but I just don't see it being bad in the pros. There are so many teams not doing that, actually way more teams are not doing that compared to teams that are doing it. There are also a ton of colleges that don't do it either.
I love watching unblocked players completely taken out of a play. Priceless.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
+1

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I love watching unblocked players completely taken out of a play. Priceless.
THEN when a talented qb or ab cuts right off the block and gets 20 yds IT'S MONEY -CHA CHING.
I hate Zone blocking -it looks like a lime of bears shuffling in one direction while holding each other - boring.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think that's a bug, not a feature. A second more read time for the O = a second more read time for the D. I believe that's the reason that Coach has always reverted to a pure vanilla version of the Tech spread. The speed the O runs at is almost impossible for other teams to duplicate in practice and, with the right personnel, that speed is deadly.
Of course, there's a down side to that. It takes everybody longer to get to where they are comfortable with that speed and even experienced players - especially QBs - miss reads all the time. We've had several fumbles this year due to BBs (both did it) not sensing that JT was pulling the ball. We've also had several times where we lost yards due to JT missing the inside give read. And that's just this year.
Still, I'll take it. I also hope Coach Cook stays.
I guess I just see it differently than you. The pistol is not something I ever see us going back to though.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You seem to doubt it is an upward move. But keep in mind Monken made the "promotion" on his way to apparently resurrecting Army's football, and Cook would get to actually be in charge of an offense and be on the game sideline calling the plays. This could be a very good move for him considering his opportunities as OC at a major with Johnson's offense are rare indeed. (And I am going to be hunkered down in front of the TV tomorrow with divided loyalties but anxious to see two acolytes and their versions of the offense. While Johnson remains true to what he wrought these two and Navy's Ivan Jasper have stretched it creatively while remaining true to option football. And if Cook goes I want to see a GSU game in 2017 to see what he brings to the movement.)
I have know doubt it is a promotion in duty and pay. Good for him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Wish Cook the best with whatever he does pistol or from center as long as he doesn't have success against GT.

Personally I think it will be mostly from center with some from the pistol. Which is what I'd like to see GT do as well.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Paul Johnson already has hire in mind to replace Bryan Cook

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/p...nd-replace-bryan-cook/ksufQEDSHiGDC8u0hYL7VN/

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said he already knows whom he wants to hire to replace quarterbacks and B-backs coach Bryan Cook, who has been hired as offensive coordinator at Georgia Southern.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for him,” Johnson said. “He thought about it a year ago and they didn’t want to give him a two-year contract or whatever. The AD (Tom Kleinlein) didn’t want to do it and (Cook) didn’t go and this year, they did, so hopefully he’ll go down there and do a good job for ’em.”