Southern going after Coach Bryan Cook

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is a plus in my book. Let him spread his wings and maybe he becomes HC at Southern. Then when CPJ retires, we'll just scoop up an up and coming but seasoned option head coach with a bunch of neat wrinkles.
Ok with me to as long as The California kid - Lucas does't follow him. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Bryan recruit this kid. I think Bryan was a coach in calif?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ok with me to as long as The California kid - Lucas does't follow him. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Bryan recruit this kid. I think Bryan was a coach in calif?

I think Cook did a lot of the recruiting west of the Mississippi. Louisiana has become a hotbed for GT, and that's one area we need to send a coach out there to shore up our relationship as Cook was active there.

It sucks losing Cook, but you have to look on the brightside. It means programs want the offensive success GT has had, and Cook has done a good job. Urban Meyer said he only expects his coaches to last a few years and get promoted either in the program or move on to better jobs elsewhere. Otherwise, he's not doing a good job developing his coaches and they're not doing a good enough job to get recognized.

I always said Cook just had the "it" factor of a HC, and he would probably be at the top of the list within our staff. I think he's going to be a heck of a HC one day. Good luck to him at GA Southern.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Cook did a lot of the recruiting west of the Mississippi. Louisiana has become a hotbed for GT, and that's one area we need to send a coach out there to shore up our relationship as Cook was active there.

It will be imperative to have a coach that either has or can establish relationships with Louisiana High School coaches. We've had success over the years recruiting from there, especially with the past few classes. I'd hate to see that fall off.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Candeto is not a GA. He's director of football operations. He was a head coach at a small college before so he has coaching experience and of course was QB under Johnson at Navy. Seems like a perfect fit. I like Candeto a lot and would love if he got the job.
Do I recall incorrectly, or this not Candeto's second tour at Tech? Somewhere I recall he was discharged as a Navy pilot for an undisclosed medical problem, Johnson hired him maybe as a GA, and then he went to a small school as HC and back to Tech? I once had a HS principal who was a carrier pilot in WWII Pacific. Those carrier guys are about as self-assured as a human being can be, which might explain his success at Navy QB.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hate to see him go, but wish him the best with his "promotion".
You seem to doubt it is an upward move. But keep in mind Monken made the "promotion" on his way to apparently resurrecting Army's football, and Cook would get to actually be in charge of an offense and be on the game sideline calling the plays. This could be a very good move for him considering his opportunities as OC at a major with Johnson's offense are rare indeed. (And I am going to be hunkered down in front of the TV tomorrow with divided loyalties but anxious to see two acolytes and their versions of the offense. While Johnson remains true to what he wrought these two and Navy's Ivan Jasper have stretched it creatively while remaining true to option football. And if Cook goes I want to see a GSU game in 2017 to see what he brings to the movement.)

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
All indications are it will be Candeto. I really like this move. He knows more about this offense than Cook. He was a great QB for Johnson at Navy. Started out here as a GA. Then was QB/B Backs coach at Citadel which runs the option. Then was head coach at a D3 school and was very good. We hired him back this summer Ast Director of football ops with the intent we thought he could get on the field quick. He is a great guy with a great personality and very hard worker. I think he will make a great recruiter.