Some things CPJ could change next season

I don't know that I would necessarily label TQ a ball hog. A bit harsh I think when you consider how often plays were blown up because of missed assignments. TQ played his heart out but does have limitations as a quarterback in passing. I would like for him to work on being a true triple option quarterback who fearlessly distributes the ball to the Abacks. Better reads AND better blocking from a healthy offensive line with players at their natural positions will go a long way to making this offense go like it should. Michael Vick would have a hard time running an option play when staring at some 280 lb defensive end from Clemson or Miami about to take your head off a half second after completing the twirl or putting the ball in the mesh.

I don't deny TQ's heart - just his ability to play QB for P5 football.

And damnit - next season, when plays keep getting blown up at the LOS as you accurately described, how about some damn adjustments?!?!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Put TQM back at ABack and Let LJ, TO & JG battle it out for QB, whoever wins, let them be the QB for better or for worse! If one those three are not ready to be the next QB at Tech, then CPJ has a huge problem. TQM is not the answer!
I might have an opinion on this. After I take the afternoon to decipher the time saving initials.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Put TQM back at ABack and Let LJ, TO & JG battle it out for QB, whoever wins, let them be the QB for better or for worse! If one those three are not ready to be the next QB at Tech, then CPJ has a huge problem. TQM is not the answer!

Well, you may have a point. He looks the part but until he makes better reads, pitching the ball to the Abacks, and complete passes both short and long, 'TQM" is not the answer but that begs the question who pray is "the answer"? If someone really stood out as being a better quarterback that Marshall then Coach Johnson would have played him. There may not be anyone better and we will just have to make the best of it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I don't deny TQ's heart - just his ability to play QB for P5 football.

And damnit - next season, when plays keep getting blown up at the LOS as you accurately described, how about some damn adjustments?!?!

What adjustments would you suggest? We cannot execute the usual remedies for getting linebackers and safeties off the line of scrimmage. For whatever reason, we cannot hit deep posts, timing patterns, quick slants etc. Personally, I am resigned to another year of watching opposing defenses jam the line of scrimmage with 7 or 8 in the box, repeatedly shoot the gaps with either linebackers or safeties, and completely disrupt the timing of the mesh. Better get used to it because they will continue to do it until we make them back off. Teams that would try this against JT5 , Smelter, and Waller were burned repeatedly with matching up 5-10 corners on the ridiculously athletic 6-3 Smelter and even bigger 6-5 or so Waller.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
TQM is worse than Tevin Washington!

I understand the sentiments but Washington had the comforting presence of Godhigh and Hill to pitch the ball to and Stephen Hill who for all his inconsistency could at least get open. Not sure that Tevin would have wanted to exchange his supporting cast for TQMs. Both quarterbacks had their strengths and weaknesses. Washington had the big signature win over #5 ranked and undefeated Clemson in 2011. So far, TQM has the win over #17 Virginia Tech a team that seemed to have Tevin's number. Both of them had their moments of glory and plenty of trials. I learned to appreciate their play and applaud both of them for taking on the challenge of being a triple option quarterback.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I understand the sentiments but Washington had the comforting presence of Godhigh and Hill to pitch the ball to and Stephen Hill who for all his inconsistency could at least get open. Not sure that Tevin would have wanted to exchange his supporting cast for TQMs. Both quarterbacks had their strengths and weaknesses. Washington had the big signature win over #5 ranked and undefeated Clemson in 2011. So far, TQM has the win over #17 Virginia Tech a team that seemed to have Tevin's number. Both of them had their moments of glory and plenty of trials. I learned to appreciate their play and applaud both of them for taking on the challenge of being a triple option quarterback.
Interesting........

GTFLETCH

Banned
What adjustments would you suggest? We cannot execute the usual remedies for getting linebackers and safeties off the line of scrimmage. For whatever reason, we cannot hit deep posts, timing patterns, quick slants etc. Personally, I am resigned to another year of watching opposing defenses jam the line of scrimmage with 7 or 8 in the box, repeatedly shoot the gaps with either linebackers or safeties, and completely disrupt the timing of the mesh. Better get used to it because they will continue to do it until we make them back off. Teams that would try this against JT5 , Smelter, and Waller were burned repeatedly with matching up 5-10 corners on the ridiculously athletic 6-3 Smelter and even bigger 6-5 or so Waller.
First we put TQM back at Aback.... second we have an open QB derby between 3rd year player LJ, 2 year player TO and 4 star JG.. Since Ricky Juene is leaving we will have 6'2 Jalen Camp battling out with 6'5 Steve Dolphus for that WR spot.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First we put TQM back at Aback.... second we have an open QB derby between 3rd year player LJ, 2 year player TO and 4 star JG.. Since Ricky Juene is leaving we will have 6'2 Jalen Camp battling out with 6'5 Steve Dolphus for that WR spot.
To take this by the numbers:

1. Not happening. He started this year. He goes into spring as the favorite. If he gets beat out, he'll be the automatic #2. We don't need him at AB, btw.

2. Well, yeah. This happens every spring. It'll be up to Taquon to fight them off. Maybe so; maybe not. We'll see. Of course, if TM gets hurt, like Matthew did, all bets are off. But absit omen on that.

3. The feature WR next year will be Brad Stewart, imho. He faster then Ricky was, he has sure hands (that's why he returned punts), and he's plenty big enough. Getting <your favorite QB candidate here> on the same page with him will be job #1 this spring, I'm guessing. I think Camp and Dolphus will have a battle, but I'm betting on Camp. If Hawkins-Anderson doesn't beat them both out, that is.

Quick slants, sideline out routes, wheel routes....I dunno, something. All we did in 2017 was to repeat the same, stupid AF play of TQ running outside and QB Keeping it. I sadly agree though - better get used to it in 2018, esp. if TQ is the named the starter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Have a fast pulling guard and have the qb follow him.
See below
The fold down block by the tackle is complete and the guard is just starting down field. The qb has started outside but guard is( late a bit ) is headed up field.

What is this play call - tackle down block guard pull up field naked pitch to the a b
Boom goes the a b

More plays that look like a play would be great.
20171231_212907.jpg