Some things CPJ could change next season

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like the deliberate nature of the offense, but I would like to see an occasional variance in the tempo. Preparation for the offense is already difficult, an occasional no huddle, quick snap, etc., would keep the D from changing personnel or getting set.

If anyone watched the "Coaches Corner" parallel broadcast of the playoffs last night, they had an interesting discussion about going "tempo" (hurry up no huddle). Basically, you don't want to go tempo unless your offense gains a first down because your if your offense isn't moving the ball and gets a 3 and out, it could run down your defense fast. You could still go no huddle and mix up the alignment as the clock winds down to confuse the defense or get a favorable matchup. I think the later would still achieve CPJ's goal of maintaining possession, AND I actually think it will enhance the effects of his play calling as CPJ could vary formations to catch defenses off kilter.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Unless we find a QB that can actually run CPJ's offense and throw the ball better, we are going to continue to struggle. If CPJ feels TM is the best we got, we are in for another showing of 2017 in 2018. I pull for TM but unless some sort of amazing transformation occurs during the off season, we are stuck where we are at. After watching the games yesterday, we are not that far from being in the mix but we have to find a trigger man that can make it happen.

Go Jackets!

I too am sort of hoping that LJ can win the starting job. That said, if TM does win it again next year, I would be shocked if we don't see some improvement out of him. Looking at the numbers, virtually every QB under CPJ has improved their passing efficiency in their second season as the starter. I actually think it is more important to improve his distribution to our A-backs though. We had a strong stable this year and just never effectively used them.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
please don't make this an offense "scheme" post.

1. Rotate the bbacks more. Wasted Howard's redshirt.

2. Bring back the pitch. Abacks were under used.

3. Open competition at OT. The G-C-G was great all season the Tackles struggled.

4. Passing game. Either the QB isn't trusting the throws or the WR weren't getting open, but the passing game was atrocious.

5. This is more radical but rotate the QB. The QB takes a beating in the offense. Marshal is not a big guy. Using the backup QB in this offense may have some benefit.

Just some quick thoughts.

Agree and I would add: If our kickoffs are not significantly better either squibb, pooch, or kick out of bounds. DO NOT KICK IT TO THEIR STUD RETURNER!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The problem I have with hoping for LJ or another QB to "win the battle" is what we saw this year.

We have a timing based offense that REQUIRES repeated snaps with the cast of characters who will play with the ones. If we have a battle going on during spring ball that is fine, but once we get into the summer we HAVE to know who will start so that the OL, ABs and WRs can get into rhythm with the cadence and strengths of whoever is playing QB. Not to mention the mesh with the C and BB.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
My fantasy mind would love to see LJ get a shot at being the starter but my reality mind doesn't see how in the hell he fits into what CPJ likes to do.

LJ is a QB with a pass first approach. He's isn't gonna wow you with shakes as a runner or just plow through a defender like Nesbit. CPJ is "I pass when I got you" approach to O just seems like a square peg to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem I have with hoping for LJ or another QB to "win the battle" is what we saw this year.

We have a timing based offense that REQUIRES repeated snaps with the cast of characters who will play with the ones. If we have a battle going on during spring ball that is fine, but once we get into the summer we HAVE to know who will start so that the OL, ABs and WRs can get into rhythm with the cadence and strengths of whoever is playing QB. Not to mention the mesh with the C and BB.

Wrote about it earlier. CPJ installed a package of plays for Vad Lee in 2012 when he rotated in with Tevin Washington. According to Offensive FEI ratings, GT had the #11 offense that year.

Rotating QBs can be done.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m not suggesting rotating can’t be done, rather that what we saw last season (imho) was in part caused by a lack of quality reps.

We had unfortunate attrition on the OL which made it worse. My point is that going into summer it helps if we know who the starting QB will be.

Plus the offense clicked with general Washington back then which helped minimize the pain of new rhythm changes caused by Vad.

If we don’t have an established starter in summer it just makes getting the volume of reps we need that much harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m not suggesting rotating can’t be done, rather that what we saw last season (imho) was in part caused by a lack of quality reps.

We had unfortunate attrition on the OL which made it worse. My point is that going into summer it helps if we know who the starting QB will be.

Plus the offense clicked with general Washington back then which helped minimize the pain of new rhythm changes caused by Vad.

If we don’t have an established starter in summer it just makes getting the volume of reps we need that much harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TQM is the starter. Washington was the starter back then. Vad worked in reps during the offseason where he could fit it in, and I believe he did a lot of the organizing for passing camps with surrounding colleges back then. If LJ wants to play, he'll have to do the extra work Vad did to push his way on the field.

slugboy

Staff member
I'd like him to set one set of acronyms for his players. I'm not sure if I can keep up with TaQuan Marshall being "TQ", "TM", and "TQM".

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to see more situational plays for rainy games. Against Miami, the outside plays were killing them. Then it started raining, and CPJ refused to call tosses or options, meaning almost everything went between the tackles or downfield on a pass. If he's insistent that the ball not fly laterally in the rain, he needs to implement:
  1. Jet Sweep/Jet Sweep motion. It's not as effective as Rocket Toss, but I'd rather see it tried than to give up on the outside if that's the opponent's weak point. Since it's a handoff rather than a toss, there's minimal risk of fumbling due to wet conditions.
  2. Read Option. It isn't as effective as Triple Option, but it at least keeps the DEs from pinning their ears back, and once again doesn't involve a pitch or a toss, so fumble risk is minimal as long as the QB and BB are on the same page. It also threatens to attack both the inside and outside.
  3. Inverted Veer. This is a great play for attacking the outside. Since both options are essentially outside runs, it really forces the defense to try to defend everything when this play is mixed in. And like the Read Option, it's a mesh read, so there's no worry of a dropped pitch.
I was really disappointed in the conservative playcalling that seemed to happen every time it rained. We usually know well in advance whether it's likely to rain. If CPJ isn't comfortable running parts of our playbook in the rain, he needs to have a package of plays that can accomplish the same things as the plays that get removed. We're not a pro-style team, so resorting to only passes and runs between the tackles won't work (and didn't work).

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Move Taquon to A-Back, let him return kickoffs and punts, but make sure he wears some extra grippy gloves. Just don't put him back under center. He should do a lot of extra up-downs during Winter conditioning and spring ball for showing his face at the SECCG barking for the mutts.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Move Taquon to A-Back, let him return kickoffs and punts, but make sure he wears some extra grippy gloves. Just don't put him back under center. He should do a lot of extra up-downs during Winter conditioning and spring ball for showing his face at the SECCG barking for the mutts.
Disagree. He's earned the right to compete for the qb position. Let competition sort it out. If he gets beat out, so be it. He should still be the back up, however.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agree and I would add: If our kickoffs are not significantly better either squibb, pooch, or kick out of bounds. DO NOT KICK IT TO THEIR STUD RETURNER!
Kind of ignored two years ago when Alabama on-sided the kickoff and recovered was that Clemson at that point was unstoppable offensively. Alabama could do nothing with them, which Saban acknowledged. But his reasoning kind of resonates: the way Clemson was moving the ball, it made no difference if Alabama kicked off into the end zone and gave them the all at the 25, or did not recover the onsides and gave them the ball at the 40. It's 15 yards. And that's all the gamble it was.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Kind of ignored two years ago when Alabama on-sided the kickoff and recovered was that Clemson at that point was unstoppable offensively. Alabama could do nothing with them, which Saban acknowledged. But his reasoning kind of resonates: the way Clemson was moving the ball, it made no difference if Alabama kicked off into the end zone and gave them the all at the 25, or did not recover the onsides and gave them the ball at the 40. It's 15 yards. And that's all the gamble it was.
Onside kicks are not typically recovered on the receiving team's 40.

Disagree. He's earned the right to compete for the qb position. Let competition sort it out. If he gets beat out, so be it. He should still be the back up, however.

Disagree. He should be the QB only for WildCrap packages or whatever. He should be kept far away from throwing a football. Another year with TQ under center is another 5-win year.

gt2kmd

Georgia Tech Fan
Why not get CPJ to run more of CPJ stuff? Starting with the first play (and others) of this Hawaii game from 1989. There's good stuff in here, that I've never seen us do at Tech. Defenses wouldn't know what was coming at them.