Some things CPJ could change next season

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Why not get CPJ to run more of CPJ stuff? Starting with the first play (and others) of this Hawaii game from 1989. There's good stuff in here, that I've never seen us do at Tech. Defenses wouldn't know what was coming at them.

Looks more like RnS CPJ than Flexbone.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Why not get CPJ to run more of CPJ stuff? Starting with the first play (and others) of this Hawaii game from 1989. There's good stuff in here, that I've never seen us do at Tech. Defenses wouldn't know what was coming at them.

Enjoyed seeing the shovel pass. Also enjoyed seeing the triple-stack of WRs -- which CPJ also used in his final game as Navy OC, against California in the Aloha Bowl, back in the day:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/96/12/31/sports/kwon.html

gt2kmd

Georgia Tech Fan
Enjoyed seeing the shovel pass. Also enjoyed seeing the triple-stack of WRs -- which CPJ also used in his final game as Navy OC, against California in the Aloha Bowl, back in the day:

Oddly enough to many Tech fans concerning CPJ and his coaching, but he says in the article about the offensive wrinkles like the triple stack:

"It helped," Johnson admitted. "Anytime you change things up, it helps."

Now let's mix it up at GT and win them all!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

He has used that on several occasions at Tech. In fact he used it repeatedly to beat FSU in '08 or '09
Oddly enough to many Tech fans concerning CPJ and his coaching, but he says in the article about the offensive wrinkles like the triple stack:

"It helped," Johnson admitted. "Anytime you change things up, it helps."

Now let's mix it up at GT and win them all!
Remember how he mixed it up against MSU in the Orange Bowl? They adjusted to the Bback dive and he moved it over a gap. He was rotating two guys and wore both of them out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like the deliberate nature of the offense, but I would like to see an occasional variance in the tempo. Preparation for the offense is already difficult, an occasional no huddle, quick snap, etc., would keep the D from changing personnel or getting set.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. We ran a lot of up-tempo in 2015, but all it did was mix people up. Also, Coach doesn't like it, for very sound reasons.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
please don't make this an offense "scheme" post.

1. Rotate the bbacks more. Wasted Howard's redshirt.

2. Bring back the pitch. Abacks were under used.

3. Open competition at OT. The G-C-G was great all season the Tackles struggled.

4. Passing game. Either the QB isn't trusting the throws or the WR weren't getting open, but the passing game was atrocious.

5. This is more radical but rotate the QB. The QB takes a beating in the offense. Marshal is not a big guy. Using the backup QB in this offense may have some benefit.

Just some quick thoughts.

If I were an opposing defensive coordinator, I would play man on the wide receivers and jam the line of scrimmage. Maybe you think you can beat me with those wide outs you have but you will have to show me first. Bet you can't do it. Simply put, opposing defenses have little to no respect for wide receivers to beat one on one coverage. Harsh, I know but it is apparent to me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
UGA lit up OU with that wildcat. No reason we can' direct snap to the B back and let T M block. I like the idea of a TE extra blocker at times. Also I think we need a burner WR that can create separation. BS beats people when they think we are running and they come up to run support. We need to occupy the corner and safety with some speed.

Anyone using any formation is capable of lighting up OU's defense. I remember thinking "DAMN" their worse than we are. So they are. Watch enough college football you are likely to see just about anything including a noted football power with a horrible defense. How a football factory ends up with a defense that tackles like a matador waving at an onrushing bull is a mystery to me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
1. Name LJ the starter.
2. TQ = A Back. Please god not another year of watching this ball hog not pitch it and run 20 QB Keepers per game.
3. More non-hail-mary-bomb pass plays.
4. More wheel routes to A-backs

I don't know that I would necessarily label TQ a ball hog. A bit harsh I think when you consider how often plays were blown up because of missed assignments. TQ played his heart out but does have limitations as a quarterback in passing. I would like for him to work on being a true triple option quarterback who fearlessly distributes the ball to the Abacks. Better reads AND better blocking from a healthy offensive line with players at their natural positions will go a long way to making this offense go like it should. Michael Vick would have a hard time running an option play when staring at some 280 lb defensive end from Clemson or Miami about to take your head off a half second after completing the twirl or putting the ball in the mesh.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
15 was a long season.

16 when the brief miracle of mills made the season short
17 seemed to fly by for the first a half but the second half was an eye opening drag.

Imo
We need a lomy, a damn long, off season for the coaches and players to get right. During that time we fans need to accept where we are and enjoy it if we are pretty good next year.

This team has a long way to go in virtually every aspect of the game before they can be considered a contender in the ACC or a top 25 team. That is not to say there is not a foundation to build upon because there are very good players sprinkled in on both sides of the ball but there are gaping holes on both sides as well not to mention the ongoing special teams drama.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This team has a long way to go in virtually every aspect of the game before they can be considered a contender in the ACC or a top 25 team. That is not to say there is not a foundation to build upon because there are very good players sprinkled in on both sides of the ball but there are gaping holes on both sides as well not to mention the ongoing special teams drama.

I don't see things that way. GT was three plays away from being 8-3. Over matched in the Clemson and UGA games. I don't know what happened in the second half of the Duke game. Special team was bad. The D played pretty well except for 2 minute D. Offensive FEI was in the top 25. If the two minute D and special teams had been better this year GT would have been at least 9-2 and maybe better. I wouldn't say that is a long way to go in virtually every aspect of the game.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've seen the suggestion in several threads and message boards to kick the ball out of bounds on a kickoff to keep a dangerous runner from getting the ball. Did they change the rule that the opponent can choose a 5 yard penalty and re-kick?

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I always desired a TE in this offense but CPJ probably wouldn't add one anytime soon.
If we can find the a guy who has speed but not a blazer. In like the wr/te position. Quickly change to power set by bringing him tight or start tight and flex wide.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I don't see things that way. GT was three plays away from being 8-3. Over matched in the Clemson and UGA games. I don't know what happened in the second half of the Duke game. Special team was bad. The D played pretty well except for 2 minute D. Offensive FEI was in the top 25. If the two minute D and special teams had been better this year GT would have been at least 9-2 and maybe better. I wouldn't say that is a long way to go in virtually every aspect of the game.

At the beginning of the year we LOOKED to be on the cusp of having a good football team. Against Duke and UGA? Not so much. Still think we need to wrap up recruiting on a strong note with emphasis on defense and look to get better in strength and conditioning. Something needs to be done about the tackles. Don't know what but it needs fixing along with quarterback, special teams and wide receiver. Defense is in for a major overhaul in a number of ways that cannot be determined. Seems like a pretty long way to go to me. Right now, I just don't think our offense keeps defensive coordinators up at night like it once did.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If I were an opposing defensive coordinator, I would play man on the wide receivers and jam the line of scrimmage. Maybe you think you can beat me with those wide outs you have but you will have to show me first. Bet you can't do it. Simply put, opposing defenses have little to no respect for wide receivers to beat one on one coverage. Harsh, I know but it is apparent to me.
I think it was apparent in '17, both for lack of bustout WRs and the slight problem we had actually throwing the ball 20 yards or more. Or less, frankly. It was not apparent in the past, because it takes a really athletic -- really -- CB or safety to go one-on-one deep. And that is what Johnson sells: we will get you manned up and let you go make a play. So, yes, with what we have it is a hard slog. I don't know about 2018's recruits. Or 2018's QB. Johnson could easily stand behind Washington because the guy could run the whole series of options in the offense. Marshall, not so much. Last season we lost both the option portion of the running game and the entire passing element. Kind of hard to win that way. Looking forward to spring to see who is working back there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
...Right now, I just don't think our offense keeps defensive coordinators up at night like it once did.
Yes. I mean, no, it doesn't. When average ACC teams hold us to 250 yards rushing and a handful passing, the game is their's for the taking.