Some things CPJ could change next season

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agreed on all that but TQ needs to not be under center unless it's some sort of special wildcrap package or something. He is no threat in the passing game and we must pass well to set up the rest of our offense. See 2014 and 2009. TQ is not a legit passing threat.
Well, again: if there had been an option -- not a play on words -- Marshall would not have been at QB. I think of everything we have seen of this spread option in 10 years or so the hardest position to recruit is QB. Its requirements make the old split T 2-man option and today's zone read and read options out of the shotgun child's play. I would not want to try it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If I was to go into fantasy land, I'd like to see:

1. RPO plays incorporating some air raid passing concepts.
2. More plays out the gun & pistol.
3. Screens to bbacks, WR's, & abacks
4. Greater balance to more 65%-35% run/pass

Well, again: if there had been an option -- not a play on words -- Marshall would not have been at QB. I think of everything we have seen of this spread option in 10 years or so the hardest position to recruit is QB. Its requirements make the old split T 2-man option and today's zone read and read options out of the shotgun child's play. I would not want to try it.

I agree - most HS QBs who can throw well don't seem to want any part of it so you end up with Runner Gunners who are run-first, pass-2nd types. It's worked out once for us (JT). I hope LJ wins the starting job! I really don't want to see another year of TQ under center.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UGA lit up OU with that wildcat. No reason we can' direct snap to the B back and let T M block. I like the idea of a TE extra blocker at times. Also I think we need a burner WR that can create separation. BS beats people when they think we are running and they come up to run support. We need to occupy the corner and safety with some speed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

We already run SOME Air Raid concepts. We'll never be proficient at more of them because they are time intensive, and it's just not what we do, but we need to be better with the AR and RnS concepts we do run.

I'd actually like to see us incorporate quick "pop" type passes to the ABs off the mesh like this:

Chip Kelly is using the TE, but our ABs could actually set up to to go inside or outside of the LB depending on leverage.

If we're living in LaLa land, I'd also like to get a QB Coach/Passing game coordinator that strictly focuses on developing our overall passing attack, and works on developing our QBs reads and fundamentals.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We already run SOME Air Raid concepts. We'll never be proficient at more of them because they are time intensive, and it's just not what we do, but we need to be better with the AR and RnS concepts we do run.

I'd actually like to see us incorporate quick "pop" type passes to the ABs off the mesh like this:

Chip Kelly is using the TE, but our ABs could actually set up to to go inside or outside of the LB depending on leverage.

If we're living in LaLa land, I'd also like to get a QB Coach/Passing game coordinator that strictly focuses on developing our overall passing attack, and works on developing our QBs reads and fundamentals.

Footwork and overall mechanics. Tech QB's have 0 pocket presence.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be a long offseason.
15 was a long season.

16 when the brief miracle of mills made the season short
17 seemed to fly by for the first a half but the second half was an eye opening drag.

Imo
We need a lomy, a damn long, off season for the coaches and players to get right. During that time we fans need to accept where we are and enjoy it if we are pretty good next year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ lined up some big OL man as a TE and let him run a post pattern on 4th and short, it'd fool every single DC in America.

If CPJ ran some version of a hurry-up / no-huddle, that too would fool DCs.

Here's guessing that, instead, CPJ plays it even closer to the vest, with more dives and less passing and still taking 15 seconds / play to run the play in from the sideline. It's just archaic.

The offense does use the WRs when the CBs cheat to the inside or run CB blitzes. See UK bowl game.

GT normally runs a no huddle offense at least one game a season. I don't remember if they did this year or not.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Unless we find a QB that can actually run CPJ's offense and throw the ball better, we are going to continue to struggle. If CPJ feels TM is the best we got, we are in for another showing of 2017 in 2018. I pull for TM but unless some sort of amazing transformation occurs during the off season, we are stuck where we are at. After watching the games yesterday, we are not that far from being in the mix but we have to find a trigger man that can make it happen.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Unless we find a QB that can actually run CPJ's offense and throw the ball better, we are going to continue to struggle. If CPJ feels TM is the best we got, we are in for another showing of 2017 in 2018. I pull for TM but unless some sort of amazing transformation occurs during the off season, we are stuck where we are at. After watching the games yesterday, we are not that far from being in the mix but we have to find a trigger man that can make it happen.

Go Jackets!
I'm willing to bet the freshman who redshirted last season can run our O and run it well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
please don't make this an offense "scheme" post.

1. Rotate the bbacks more. Wasted Howard's redshirt.

2. Bring back the pitch. Abacks were under used.

3. Open competition at OT. The G-C-G was great all season the Tackles struggled.

4. Passing game. Either the QB isn't trusting the throws or the WR weren't getting open, but the passing game was atrocious.

5. This is more radical but rotate the QB. The QB takes a beating in the offense. Marshal is not a big guy. Using the backup QB in this offense may have some benefit.

Just some quick thoughts.
1. When your BB starter is averaging over 100 yards a game and right around 5 npc, it is hard to justify taking him out. I do think that using Howard down by the goal line would have paid off, but, as was said above, he has to stop dropping the ball.

2. This is a matter of experience. TM (or someone else) will do better on this next year.

3. An open competition wouldn't have done much good this year with Klock changing schools, Fromayen moving on to a new career, Marshall not recovering from injury ( hope he does, btw), Stickler getting hurt during the year, and both The Twins getting hurt pre-season, then only one returning and at less then 100%. None of this (except Klock) was avoidable; it was just bad luck. Luckily, we recruited two good OTs last year and with Stickler, The Twins, and (I hope, I hope) Marshall coming back we should be ok.

4. Well … it became atrocious. TM did ok until we got into the slop games. After that a combo of better opponents and lack of confidence seemed to affect him. He (or someone else) will have to get better with the WRs for this to improve. A bit of work on short throw mechanics would help too.

5. Hard to do when your QB is averaging over 100 yards per game rushing. We did some of this last year by letting Matthew loose down by the goal line in some games, but his unfortunate injury meant that we would have to use inexperienced players in the rotation. I'm not surprised that Coach didn't want to do that.

Most of this will get sorted out in spring, imho. Then we'll see next year.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

GT fans need to take a step back and breathe. There is nothing inherently flawed with CPJ's offense. We've beaten UGA and Clemson before while barely throwing any passes at all. The beauty of the offense is that you take what the defense gives you, each and every play.

When we have a QB suited for it, along with healthy OLs, we are a force to be reckoned with.

We've been snake bit on the OL lately. Had to play guys out of position and guys that really weren't ready.

We should be in better shape on the OL next season. That will help a ton.

I think TM is capable of running the offense just fine. Look at early season games. We put up huge numbers. That was mostly due to OL being healthier. When we passed later in the season, he had about 2 seconds to throw it. The blocking was atrocious. He's not a great passer, but he's better than what it looked like.

There will be a good battle at QB with him, LJ, and TO going into next year. We'll be fine there.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the deliberate nature of the offense, but I would like to see an occasional variance in the tempo. Preparation for the offense is already difficult, an occasional no huddle, quick snap, etc., would keep the D from changing personnel or getting set.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
On pitching ball more, was it just me or did our QB/A-back pitch position seem off this year. A-backs seemed too close and step behind. In OU's failed attempts at option last night, announcers pointed out similar thing. The "pitch read" was able to basically defend both.
TQ outruns his A-Backs. Not entirely his fault because our Tackles were awful and forced him to get too wide too fast.