Some optimistic tidbits for those losing hope

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
TE pass recieving.
2023 230 yds in season. In Louisville game they had 80 yds with to gaash yardage on seam routes. Pass hit them right in the hands.

Who greenlighted the TE catching passes, asking for frient of the Leonards

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m a little confused by the thread.

Our offense is a little ahead of where it was last year. Last season, the offensive line started to gel in the last few games. It had issues before then. Receiver and tight end play is ahead of last year—especially tight end play.

Defense is flipped from last year. We brought on an entirely new defensive staff, and we didn’t have Santucci until after some key players portaled out. Pass defense is a concern

Our odds of making a bowl are better than they were six months ago. We have things to fix, but Key has shown that he’s a coach who fixes problems.

Line needs work. Key is working on the line. Geep seems to be a good coach.
But it regressed from the end of last year for sure.

To sum up the team. Our run D is remarkably improved. Our pass D is horrible. Our offense moves the ball in chunks well, but can’t pick up short yardage first downs. Our kicker regressed. In short, we are average. We have a relatively high ceiling if we can fix the short yardage issues on offense, but until we do we are looking like a 6-6 team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m suddenly realizing there are no easy games in the ACC this year. VT looked every bit as good as Miami and Duke is undefeated. Notre Dame is still tough and no one else looks like a certain win. Those who said we would be much better than last year but could have a worse record are looking prescient.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m suddenly realizing there are no easy games in the ACC this year. VT looked every bit as good as Miami and Duke is undefeated. Notre Dame is still tough and no one else looks like a certain win. Those who said we would be much better than last year but could have a worse record are looking prescient.
FSU will turn out to be our easiest ACC Game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I tend to see 7 games that we can win or lose. Some will be harder to win than others.
Ultimately I expect us to win 3 more, 4 if things go really well.
Which 3 or 4 those will be I haven't the slightest idea.

The 4 games that most GT fans consider the 'easier' opponents, I think we are likely to win 2, maybe 3.
I feel like we will probably win 1 of the 'harder' games, but once again, who knows which one.

Since Key took over GT hasn't won more than 2 games in a row or lost more than 2 games in a row (within one season).
In some ways GT has been amazingly consistent under Key, just not in the way he wants. He's talking about winning consistently. GT has been very consistent at being right around a .500 team and never getting far above or below that mark.

We have some obvious strengths and weaknesses as a team this season - we've reached the point in the season where it is up to the coaching staff to try to play to our strengths and hide our weaknesses to the best of their ability.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
But it regressed from the end of last year for sure.

To sum up the team. Our run D is remarkably improved. Our pass D is horrible. Our offense moves the ball in chunks well, but can’t pick up short yardage first downs. Our kicker regressed. In short, we are average. We have a relatively high ceiling if we can fix the short yardage issues on offense, but until we do we are looking like a 6-6 team.
To fix short yardage problem why couldn't development of a "Chinese Bandit" group staffed with biggest, fastest, toughest group of players who are developed to gain 1 to 2 yards through detailed repeated situation practice?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I have been hard on a lot of the coaching decisions made in the two losses, but I will make a positive point about Key. Key may be a victim of his own early success. Let’s not forget how bad we were under Geoff. It’s a minor miracle Key got us back to .500 almost instantly(4-4 as interim). It’s probably a bigger rebuild to get us to 8-9 wins than we want to admit. We’re probably way ahead of schedule.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have been hard on a lot of the coaching decisions made in the two losses, but I will make a positive point about Key. Key may be a victim of his own early success. Let’s not forget how bad we were under Geoff. It’s a minor miracle Key got us back to .500 almost instantly(4-4 as interim). It’s probably a bigger rebuild to get us to 8-9 wins than we want to admit. We’re probably way ahead of schedule.
100% Correct. We rarely have a noticeable talent advantage over our opponents. WE had a clear major advantage over VIM and the results showed. We had a talent advantage over GaSt, though not as large as many on here think, and won nicely. Our 3 ACC games we have at best been relatively equally with to a slight disadvantage compared to them and none of the 3 games were a true home game. We will be at a clear talent disadvantage against 3 future opponents, Miami, ND and Georgia. We are in the same ballpark talent wise vs NCST, VT, UNC and Duke. UNC may have more raw talent than we do, the other 3 are too close to make a huge difference.

Our best players need to play up to their ceilings and the rest of the guys need to play solidly. Coaches need to have us prepared and make the necessary adjustments in game.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WE need the DBs to get better-if possible quickly. I saw powerful Holy Cross gave up 370 yds in air to Syr. If you didn't remember we gave up 381.
in a related story--dook is probably not worried about coming back on us after catching unCheat. hmmm

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To fix short yardage problem why couldn't development of a "Chinese Bandit" group staffed with biggest, fastest, toughest group of players who are developed to gain 1 to 2 yards through detailed repeated situation practice?
We have Pyron and a bunch of big boys who rarely play. That we haven’t simply lined up under center and had two big boys push Pyron for a few feet shows our coaches are just stubborn. I like them, but as much as I liked CPJ, sometimes you gotta do what is practical. Being in shotgun on 4th and 2 feet tells the team you don‘t believe your own words about being tough. We have a long way to go yet but we are at least out of the hole dug by the joke. We are a finesse team right so we might as well accept it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have Pyron and a bunch of big boys who rarely play. That we haven’t simply lined up under center and had two big boys push Pyron for a few feet shows our coaches are just stubborn. I like them, but as much as I liked CPJ, sometimes you gotta do what is practical. Being in shotgun on 4th and 2 feet tells the team you don‘t believe your own words about being tough. We have a long way to go yet but we are at least out of the hole dug by the joke. We are a finesse team right so we might as well accept it.
I wonder how hard it would be to install an under center package for short yardage situations? Maybe it’s less philosophical and more logistical? Maybe it would require too high a practice time investment? I’m just playing devils advocate because I wish to hell we go under center.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how hard it would be to install an under center package for short yardage situations? Maybe it’s less philosophical and more logistical? Maybe it would require too high a practice time investment? I’m just playing devils advocate because I wish to hell we go under center.
King ran every scheme in high school. In 93 my son's team ran Air Raid and Power I on alternating plays. But we had a dominant ol and very studly rb and good qb and one good wr.

That said, the Louisville final manhood contest on 4th and less than 1, had the TE lead the rb into the hole with qb jogging wide then watching.

The lb arrived when the TE arrived. still no push. Then the rb arrived and was at the back of the pile. He had to get past the TE.

I hope we are quicker at having rb hit the line with TE and Qb push him - so he squirms thru for first. At least he is closer.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
If the ACC didn’t have such a hardon for GT and a UNC type schedule you are looking at 8-3 even with uGA