Some optimistic tidbits for those losing hope

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I have been hard on a lot of the coaching decisions made in the two losses, but I will make a positive point about Key. Key may be a victim of his own early success. Let’s not forget how bad we were under Geoff. It’s a minor miracle Key got us back to .500 almost instantly(4-4 as interim). It’s probably a bigger rebuild to get us to 8-9 wins than we want to admit. We’re probably way ahead of schedule.
9 wins is tough. Those aren’t incredible seasons but they are very good seasons. In my life we won 9 or more in 1985, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, and 2016. That’s 9 times in 40 years. We’ve only 8 or more there more times: 1991, 1999, 2001, 2011. So 12/40.

I don’t think we can expect to do that every year. The only two coaches at Tech who ever did that were Heisman and Dodd - and Dodd only did it for the middle part of his career.

I think that we should have been much better under Collins. We had the talent to win more games, but simply were a disorganized mess. Key fixed that immediately. I think his success in the second half of 2022 was a bigger deal than what has happened since. I believe Fritz or whoever else could have also quickly gotten us back to .500 after that. Now we’ve got to start beating our equals. We can beat teams better than us and worse than us. But when a team knows they’re in for a tough game and it’s an equal match we struggle. Gotta get over that hump.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
9 wins is tough. Those aren’t incredible seasons but they are very good seasons. In my life we won 9 or more in 1985, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, and 2016. That’s 9 times in 40 years. We’ve only 8 or more there more times: 1991, 1999, 2001, 2011. So 12/40.

I don’t think we can expect to do that every year. The only two coaches at Tech who ever did that were Heisman and Dodd - and Dodd only did it for the middle part of his career.

I think that we should have been much better under Collins. We had the talent to win more games, but simply were a disorganized mess. Key fixed that immediately. I think his success in the second half of 2022 was a bigger deal than what has happened since. I believe Fritz or whoever else could have also quickly gotten us back to .500 after that. Now we’ve got to start beating our equals. We can beat teams better than us and worse than us. But when a team knows they’re in for a tough game and it’s an equal match we struggle. Gotta get over that hump.
Heisman and Dodd were playing 9-10 games most years. Today’s coaches play 12. Thats 20-33% more games.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Heisman and Dodd were playing 9-10 games most years. Today’s coaches play 12. Thats 20-33% more games.
Heisman’s success is unquestionable. Dodd was also incredibly successful, but lots of seasons where he was 7-3. That’s the equivalent of 8-4 today. And he’s considered the gold standard given that Heisman operated in an era of men vs boys.

Point stands that winning 8-9 consistently is really hard. There are few programs that can do it. We can and should be going to a bowl game every year and elevating to 8/9/10+ when we have an experienced team. I still think we can get to 8 this year and have a special year next year. But then we have a bunch of new faces.

For those losing hope, in 1998 we started 5-2 and didn’t lose another game. We should probably be 5-2 in a couple weeks with ND coming to town.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Heisman’s success is unquestionable. Dodd was also incredibly successful, but lots of seasons where he was 7-3. That’s the equivalent of 8-4 today. And he’s considered the gold standard given that Heisman operated in an era of men vs boys.

Point stands that winning 8-9 consistently is really hard. There are few programs that can do it. We can and should be going to a bowl game every year and elevating to 8/9/10+ when we have an experienced team. I still think we can get to 8 this year and have a special year next year. But then we have a bunch of new faces.

For those losing hope, in 1998 we started 5-2 and didn’t lose another game. We should probably be 5-2 in a couple weeks with ND coming to town.
On Dodd, sort of. There were many who were tired of winning only 7 games/year his last 10 years. Recall that he left the SEC over recruiting, winning only those 7 games. His legacy was set between 1946-56. Over that span, Dodd won:
10+: 4x
9: 3x
8: 1x
7: 2x
6-: 1x

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

If the coaches can scheme / motivate so we don't have Scuse first half and play to just barely win, we will have genuine vibe.
For 3 quarters we need to play like we are down by 10.

The good news is that coaching strategy is easily changed.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how hard it would be to install an under center package for short yardage situations? Maybe it’s less philosophical and more logistical? Maybe it would require too high a practice time investment? I’m just playing devils advocate because I wish to hell we go under center.
How hard can it be to go under center for a QB sneak? I can see where the QB footwork might get complicated if we were to hand it off or run some kind of option.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
On Dodd, sort of. There were many who were tired of winning only 7 games/year his last 10 years. Recall that he left the SEC over recruiting, winning only those 7 games. His legacy was set between 1946-56. Over that span, Dodd won:
10+: 4x
9: 3x
8: 1x
7: 2x
6-: 1x
Ok. So we are just going to ignore his final ten years. Got it. Can we do the same for O’Leary and Johnson? Or what about Gailey? He won 9 every year in 2006!

I for one think Dodd was a remarkable coach. I’m more so just saying that it’s unrealistic to expect 8-9 every year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Ok. So we are just going to ignore his final ten years. Got it. Can we do the same for O’Leary and Johnson? Or what about Gailey? He won 9 every year in 2006!

I for one think Dodd was a remarkable coach. I’m more so just saying that it’s unrealistic to expect 8-9 every year.
Dude. Dial it back, please. 7 wins per year prior to about 1970 was better than 7 wins today. They played 10 games back then, so that’s a 70% winning percentage. That’s 8.4 wins on 12 regular season games today. Dodd did that every year between 1961-65.

I’m not sure what point you’re making. Heisman and Dodd did their thing in a paradigm of college ball that is far different from today. It is apples and oranges.

To your statement above, I don’t disagree at all. However, since 1990 (34 years) GT has won 8+ twelve times (1990, 91, 98, 99, 00, 01, 06, 08, 09, 11, 14, and 16). That’s not trivial, it’s 35% of the time. So no, not every year, but it shouldn’t be considered rare, IMPO.

You are completely welcome to yours.

Last edited:

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I think even if we somehow go 5-7 and miss a bowl Petty probably still stays because he knows it's likely he gets playing time immediately.

As a grad and a 40+ year season ticket holder I hole the opinion that for everything Dodd did that was great for GT he erased it and then some with the most stupid decision of all time.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dude. Dial it back, please. 7 wins per year prior to about 1970 was better than 7 wins today. They played 10 games back then, so that’s a 70% winning percentage. That’s 8.4 wins on 12 regular season games today. Dodd did that every year between 1961-65.

I’m not sure what point you’re making. Heisman and Dodd did their thing in a paradigm of college ball that is far different from today. It is apples and oranges.

To your statement above, I don’t disagree at all. However, since 1990 (34 years) GT has won 8+ twelve times (1990, 91, 98, 99, 00, 01, 06, 08, 09, 11, 14, and 16). That’s not trivial, it’s 35% of the time. So no, not every year, but it shouldn’t be considered rare, IMPO.

You are completely welcome to yours.
In 65 we considered Duke and Clemson, the easy games. There were no elon, alcorn, vmi etc. Like grade inflation every fan wants to be a winner.

Add 2 wins and vulgar stats to record for Dodds teams.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
As a grad and a 40+ year season ticket holder I hole the opinion that for everything Dodd did that was great for GT he erased it and then some with the most stupid decision of all time.
if we stayed in the SEC we would be a step above Vanderbilt right now imo. I'm happy where we're at in the ACC right now.

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
O'Leary's GT teams finished in the Top 25 in 5 of the 7 full regular seasons and were ranked in the Top 10 at some point in 3 of those seasons.

PJ's GT teams finished in the Top 25 in 3 of 11 seasons.

GT never finished in the Top 25 under Gailey.

Dodd finished in the Top 25 8 times in 22 seasons and won a National Championship.

* Based on AP.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary's GT teams finished in the Top 25 in 5 of the 7 full regular seasons and were ranked in the Top 10 at some point in 3 of those seasons.

PJ's GT teams finished in the Top 25 in 3 of 11 seasons.

GT never finished in the Top 25 under Gailey.

Dodd finished in the Top 25 8 times in 22 seasons and won a National Championship.

* Based on AP.

On o'leary's teams he had some top 25 finishes with 4+ losses. It was a very different time.

in 97 we were 7-5 and somehow top 25.

In 99 we were 8-4 and in 01 we were 8-5 ranked 20 and 24 respectively.