Solid Foundation

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For those who don't follow recruiting, Johnny is someone who has helped guide the Campbells in only positive ways since they were 6 years old. His son is best friends with Christian and Donavaughn, and as a result Johnny has been a de facto mentor in their lives. They all get along so well that he's accommodated both on school visits, surprised CC on fan day, etc.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just hope we all understand just how athletic Christian Campbell is. I have no idea if he will grow into the QB role, but that kid is a special athlete. He will help us wherever he lands. Personally, I want him with the ball in his hands, so maybe WR if QB doesn't work. We need electricity at the boundary and I feel sure he could give us that if he has hands. If it turns out he doesn't have hands, then maybe defense.

Back to the OP: I think there is a foundation of sorts being laid. Hopefully the kids will all learn from this season. It is going to take hard work and good LEADERSHIP to get this thing back on track. The kids aren't stupid. They can see this team has been without a rudder for a while. I feel sure there will be a few who step up and fill the void, if for no other reason than just being sick and tired of the mess. If it were me, I would be like Scarlett O'Hara when she pulls that tried up turd of a turnip or something out of the ground, eats it dirty, then hold her fist in the air, swearing that she will never be hungry again. It would be THAT kind of resolve. "We Will NEVER be Crappy Again!!!" Sometimes you just have to step away for a while and reflect to appreciate all the ways you could have done better and then make meaningful change. As a coach I have seen huge turnarounds in kids from year to year. Unfortunately, I have also seen kids who never improve. Somehow, I don't think that will be the case here.

If you are watching with a critical eye, you can seen we have some pretty good athletes out there. Many are kids who were simply forced to play before they were ready. In a way, I feel sorry for them for that reason. For these guys specifically, another offseason will be like gold. They aren't going to be crappy blockers forever, taking crappy angles, and screwing up pitch relation etc etc.

When you think of the guys who we lost to injury, just having them back healthy will be a huge shot in the arm. The list isn't short.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I agree, however Since 2013 I have seen the following players leave the GT football program:

Vad Lee
Jeff Greene
Dennis Andrews
Anthony Autry
Travin Henry
Beau Hankins
Chase Roberts
Mike Summers
Anthony Harrell
Donovan Wilson
Kevin Robbins
Ty Griffin
Travis Custis
Justin Akins
Darius Commissiong
Myles Autry

So while I agree with you we can not afford to lose any "young guys" !!!

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
I really hope CC moves to safety. Aside from AJ Gray, we don't have much there with the losses of Golden and Smith

GTFLETCH

Banned
Putting my notes on Christian Campbell here since I don't want to start another thread.

From my convo with Johnny:
  • CC has a burning desire to play. He's well aware Timmy B. might be back with a medical redshirt, impacting his ability to get on the field at QB. And then of course there is JT for one more year as well as MJ.
  • The only game CC dressed was at ND. He earned this thru his performance on the scout team... as a WR.
  • Johnny's opinion is that if CC wants to play AND has hopes of playing in the NFL, he needs to switch positions. He's said as much to Christian, but it's Christian's decision to make along with the coaches.
  • Johnny believes come spring CC will be lining up at safety. Said when CC worked out for Les Miles (non-contact mind you) he was as good as any of the 5* DBs they had there to a point. Said his opportunity for improvement, however, was playing the ball. Said he'd almost always be in position but the WR ended up with it several times.
  • CC loves school and loves Atlanta. He told Johnny a story about how he never had to write a 20-page paper before GT, so that was a good reminder of where he was.
There's a little more to this and I hope you will appreciate it that I simply cannot share. It's nothing that materially changes the vibe of the above. Just know that CC wants to find a way onto the field.

There's a link between the above and what you'll see in the Donavaughn Campbell update coming shortly.

I want to be 100% honest...I was super excited when CC chose GT... I Hope CC stays at QB, and I hope his brother comes to GT as an OLINE.... If CC switches positions I think that is ok, and I still hope his brother comes to GT... However MJ already moved to AB, and I think next year CC is in line to be the backup.... and MJ at AB... I am not dissing any QB on the roster, however if CC is as special as advertised then he needs the ball in his hands and that means at QB...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I want to be 100% honest...I was super excited when CC chose GT... I Hope CC stays at QB, and I hope his brother comes to GT as an OLINE.... If CC switches positions I think that is ok, and I still hope his brother comes to GT... However MJ already moved to AB, and I think next year CC is in line to be the backup.... and MJ at AB... I am not dissing any QB on the roster, however if CC is as special as advertised then he needs the ball in his hands and that means at QB...
It could be an MJ situation part deux if TB comes back. I don't think safety or WR one year precludes him from switching back to QB. And who knows, maybe he and the coaches hit the jackpot at one of those other slots or another QB emerges - MJ, TM, etc.

Again, still speculative.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Who's Johnny?
original.jpg

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I really hope CC moves to safety. Aside from AJ Gray, we don't have much there with the losses of Golden and Smith
Yes we do. We have Kagawa who has played some this year and is a great talent. He is one of those who should be playing more now. Saw time against FSU when we forced to go young. Funny how we won that game when we forced to play a young secondary.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes we do. We have Kagawa who has played some this year and is a great talent. He is one of those who should be playing more now. Saw time against FSU when we forced to go young. Funny how we won that game when we forced to play a young secondary.
I think that win had more to do with who we had at DT rather than safety.

Buzz4President

Georgia Tech Fan
If it were me, I would be like Scarlett O'Hara when she pulls that tried up turd of a turnip or something out of the ground, eats it dirty, then hold her fist in the air, swearing that she will never be hungry again. It would be THAT kind of resolve. "We Will NEVER be Crappy Again!!!"

Lol! I always appreciate a good Scarlett O'Hara reference!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
the future looked bright at the end of last year too.

Sure did. Then the future got injured. There's a reason why coaches tend to roll their eyes when they hear that "next man up" stuff.

And, while I'm at it, I spotted a sudden influx of "leading with leadership" reasoning here. Sure, leadership is a great thing to have. It is not a substitute for talent, however. It is also hard for anyone to assert when a team is struggling like we are. It is difficult for anyone in such a situation to lead when their best efforts end up losing. Everyone praised JT's unassertive leadership last year; "He leads by example!" Sure enough, he did. This year …

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the assist but I'm still clueless. I haven't seen a contemporary movie since...North by Northwest. :)

I like that your definition of "contemporary" is now something that is over 30 years old. Also in 1984 (besides the Karate Kid):
Ronald Reagan reelected for president
Apple releases its first Macintosh personal computer
The winter Olympics are held in Yugoslavia (a country that hasn't existed in over 20 years)
Bruce Springsteen releases Born in the USA
Jeopardy! begins its syndicated version

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer

I forget whether Lamont Simmons is a safety or a corner but want to make sure he wasn't omitted from the conversation unintentionally. Kid is gonna be good.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like that your definition of "contemporary" is now something that is over 30 years old. Also in 1984 (besides the Karate Kid):
Ronald Reagan reelected for president
Apple releases its first Macintosh personal computer
The winter Olympics are held in Yugoslavia (a country that hasn't existed in over 20 years)
Bruce Springsteen releases Born in the USA
Jeopardy! begins its syndicated version
And all this time I thought North By Northwest was from the 50s! Thanks for the reminder of Eva Marie Saint! But I digress. Your regularly scheduled program will resume shortly.