Solid Foundation

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Putting my notes on Christian Campbell here since I don't want to start another thread.

From my convo with Johnny:
  • CC has a burning desire to play. He's well aware Timmy B. might be back with a medical redshirt, impacting his ability to get on the field at QB. And then of course there is JT for one more year as well as MJ.
  • The only game CC dressed was at ND. He earned this thru his performance on the scout team... as a WR.
  • Johnny's opinion is that if CC wants to play AND has hopes of playing in the NFL, he needs to switch positions. He's said as much to Christian, but it's Christian's decision to make along with the coaches.
  • Johnny believes come spring CC will be lining up at safety. Said when CC worked out for Les Miles (non-contact mind you) he was as good as any of the 5* DBs they had there to a point. Said his opportunity for improvement, however, was playing the ball. Said he'd almost always be in position but the WR ended up with it several times.
  • CC loves school and loves Atlanta. He told Johnny a story about how he never had to write a 20-page paper before GT, so that was a good reminder of where he was.
There's a little more to this and I hope you will appreciate it that I simply cannot share. It's nothing that materially changes the vibe of the above. Just know that CC wants to find a way onto the field.

There's a link between the above and what you'll see in the Donavaughn Campbell update coming shortly.

thanks for the insight
I always thought CC is a great athlete but doubtful as a QB unless his passing got better fast
if you are going to be 2nd coming of JN you better have a D Thomas on your team

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I get a little cracked up at the folks who are certain of the future positions / success of our redshirts. I agree CC looks like a helluva athlete and I think he will help us somewhere. I'm clueless on what side of the ball that will be on. I would like to see him get a legit shot at QB first and see what happens. Pretty sure that is how things have played out thus far. Where it goes from here next year??? Fun conjecture.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I get a little cracked up at the folks who are certain of the future positions / success of our redshirts. I agree CC looks like a helluva athlete and I think he will help us somewhere. I'm clueless on what side of the ball that will be on. I would like to see him get a legit shot at QB first and see what happens. Pretty sure that is how things have played out thus far. Where it goes from here next year??? Fun conjecture.
I don't try to think about where these guys will end up. I was very happy to see this guy coming to Tech. Speculation will tell us that our QB should be a big strong kid like JN and not a 5'9" 175 lb speedster. Later we decide the perfect fit is the speedster only to rethink everything after a tough season. I am glad Christian is here and are in the group that feel he will get his shot to alter our speculation on the perfect QB for Tech.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Who is Johnny?
upload_2015-11-18_8-32-40.jpeg

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Going back to earlier in this thread, I don't totally agree but I take 33's point about Ted. I think he is a good DC, but he is a conventional DC. If he gets good athletes he will put a good defense on the field. Let's hope we have some more recruiting classes like last year's and get him some talent. On the other hand, if we can get the offense back to where it needs to be, a pretty good defense may be good enough. The total package he brings still makes him the man for the job, IMHO.

I'm not sure what to say about this info about CC. I'm happy he will be a contributor, but I really wanted to see someone with some promise get some snaps next year. If not CC, who might that be? I think I heard some months ago that Taquon Marshall would get a tryout at QB. Is that so?

In thinking about last year's class, Christian Philpott looked like one of our highest rated talents. Serious speed and some size too. Does anyone know if he is making any kind of an impression?

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This has been a frustrating year of key injuries and 'shoulda, woulda coulda, almost but not quite' scenarios. I wish I had the analytical minds of X's and O';s that some you have (like Boomer) but I don't. I do have 55 years of watching Georgia Tech football and the repetition of watching plays over and over and watching body language on the sidelines and field. I work in Aviation technical support (41 years) and after the thousands of repetitious processes you develop what we call in aviation a 'trained eye'. In spite of our record this year my football 'trained eye' gives me encouragement for the future. This team still fights to the end and even when they get behind multiple scores they fight like hell. If they have ever lost confidence in their coaches I haven't seen it. The multiple injuries and close losses would discourage most football teams, but this team still plays and tries it's best to win. I am making plans to renew my season tickets next year, I'm going to Ireland, if they play in a bowl game I'm going to it. If these guys can fight through adversity, and their fighters, next year is bound to be a good one.:)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I like that your definition of "contemporary" is now something that is over 30 years old. Also in 1984 (besides the Karate Kid):
Ronald Reagan reelected for president
Apple releases its first Macintosh personal computer
The winter Olympics are held in Yugoslavia (a country that hasn't existed in over 20 years)
Bruce Springsteen releases Born in the USA
Jeopardy! begins its syndicated version
I didn't even recognize that picture much less it being from '84. I thought DCS was throwing me a softball from a recent release.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Putting my notes on Christian Campbell here since I don't want to start another thread.

From my convo with Johnny:
  • CC has a burning desire to play. He's well aware Timmy B. might be back with a medical redshirt, impacting his ability to get on the field at QB. And then of course there is JT for one more year as well as MJ.
  • The only game CC dressed was at ND. He earned this thru his performance on the scout team... as a WR.
  • Johnny's opinion is that if CC wants to play AND has hopes of playing in the NFL, he needs to switch positions. He's said as much to Christian, but it's Christian's decision to make along with the coaches.
  • Johnny believes come spring CC will be lining up at safety. Said when CC worked out for Les Miles (non-contact mind you) he was as good as any of the 5* DBs they had there to a point. Said his opportunity for improvement, however, was playing the ball. Said he'd almost always be in position but the WR ended up with it several times.
  • CC loves school and loves Atlanta. He told Johnny a story about how he never had to write a 20-page paper before GT, so that was a good reminder of where he was.
There's a little more to this and I hope you will appreciate it that I simply cannot share. It's nothing that materially changes the vibe of the above. Just know that CC wants to find a way onto the field.

There's a link between the above and what you'll see in the Donavaughn Campbell update coming shortly.

Ok not to be a debbie downer, but after watching MJ at QB yesterday it is very clear to me he is not the answer, I can see him at AB and being a darn good AB, but not at QB. So this leaves us to CC, hopefully he is not so selfish that he switches positions, if he does we need to sign a QB this class to take over for JT!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Ok not to be a debbie downer, but after watching MJ at QB yesterday it is very clear to me he is not the answer, I can see him at AB and being a darn good AB, but not at QB. So this leaves us to CC, hopefully he is not so selfish that he switches positions, if he does we need to sign a QB this class to take over for JT!
I kinda felt the same way. All I could think about was 2017 opener on prime time against the Vols with everyone watching and we trot out a nervous inexperienced QB and we have the same results.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I kinda felt the same way. All I could think about was 2017 opener on prime time against the Vols with everyone watching and we trot out a nervous inexperienced QB and we have the same results.
Put some decent blocking in front of MJ and I'd bet most wouldn't mind having him under center (me? i'd rather have him in a shotgun but that's a whole other convo). And no QB would be nervous. What we've trotted out this year is the 2015 version of college football's Maginot Line.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Put some decent blocking in front of MJ and I'd bet most wouldn't mind having him under center (me? i'd rather have him in a shotgun but that's a whole other convo). And no QB would be nervous. What we've trotted out this year is the 2015 version of college football's Maginot Line.
I for one am with you on the shot gun. We need to mix it up a little.

GTFLETCH

Banned
While I agree I would like to know what happened to our Pistol Formation from 2013, I still do not see MJ as an option QB...He reminds me more of a S. Days (S. Days was a HS QB) I think MJ make a great AB.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I for one am with you on the shot gun. We need to mix it up a little.
It appears to me that CPJ does not want to introduce anything new until we can get fundamentally sound OLINE blocking. (It feels like he is slamming a square peg in a round hole...B. Chamberlain and E. Joe should have been benched a while ago. I still do not understand why Gary Brown has not been playing.