Solid Foundation

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Has this season been disappointing? Absolutely. We're our expectations way to high after a stellar 2014 campaign? Sure. The one thing that I feel has kept me excited about this season, is the emergence of some of the young guys. Not to say they are perfect, but some of our most impactful players are the youngest members of the squad. You can see a nucleus being formed on both sides of the ball. On defense, Anree Saint-Amour, Brant Mitchell, Vic Alexander, Kyle Cerge-Henderson, and A.J Gray all have extremely high ceilings. On offense, Will Bryan, Trey Klock, Marcus Marshall, MLD, Brad Stewart, Qua Searcy, and Taquon Marshall all seem to have the ability to make plays to right the ship and bring the offense back to the form we all love.
This season has been tough, no doubt, but my God, the future could be special. To Hell with Georgia!!!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We have plenty of young talent going forward. Might still have a few wtf games early next year but I think with the schedule and playing time they got this year we should win 8 games. My biggest concern is 2017. All of them will be jr's and sr's but who is going to be QB? If TB gets another year how do you get meaningful snaps for MJ or Campbell or whoever is expected to be the QB going into that season.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
We have plenty of young talent going forward. Might still have a few wtf games early next year but I think with the schedule and playing time they got this year we should win 8 games. My biggest concern is 2017. All of them will be jr's and sr's but who is going to be QB? If TB gets another year how do you get meaningful snaps for MJ or Campbell or whoever is expected to be the QB going into that season.
This spring and summer will be big for them.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
The future does look bright. This head-scratcher of a season has forced us to play young. That hasn't worked out so well overall, but has given us a sneak-preview of what is to come.

Most promising, perhaps, is that some of our youngest show signs of leadership that we so lacked this year from our older players.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ummm, except on offense. The defense looks promising, but the offense has not shown a pulse all year and has continuously regressed, imho. I don't exactly see much there in terms of young talent to give me much optimism for the future.

Having said that, I have learned that in college football, each season is totally different, and teams often do not carry over from one year to the next like a smooth trend line. That's why pre-season polls are so meaningless. So, who knows?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Also contingent on this upcoming class being decent. GT can't afford to whiff.

Clemson is young
FSU is young
Duke is young
VT is young

Nothing is promised and this blown year is just that a blown year.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ummm, except on offense. The defense looks promising, but the offense has not shown a pulse all year and has continuously regressed, imho. I don't exactly see much there in terms of young talent to give me much optimism for the future.

Having said that, I have learned that in college football, each season is totally different, and teams often do not carry over from one year to the next like a smooth trend line. That's why pre-season polls are so meaningless. So, who knows?
You're not watching the same offense I am. As a whole, obviously I agree with you. It's been a frustrating year. Taken as individuals, though, there is a lot of raw promise that looked good this year.

MLD gives me hope. So do M Marshall, Brad Stewart, TaQuon Marshall, Qua Searcy, Will Bryan and Trey Klock thus far. I may even be forgetting someone. All the above are works in progress, but at least they're working.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
the future looked bright at the end of last year too.

bottom line is alot needs to improve with this team. Both coaching, playing and potentially off field programs as well. So I am not so certain what foundation is there we can rely on yet; are there flashes to be excited about sure....but.... We have a 3 win team, with the players we do have; and many coming back still have alot of inexperience. The experienced are not playing well either.

Paul needs to shake up the staff. And players need to improve. Then maybe we can talk about rebuilding that foundation a bit....for me, its show me. Not really a cheerleader when you are a 3 win team blowing games left and right, there are big issues with this team and program right now IMO and its not just injuries IMO. The worst performing unit on the whole team was the most experienced; so much so we are benching guys for RS Fr and Fr. That is sad. And that is a big indicator of not a good state of a program IMO.

On a positive, aspects on D, do seem to be improving. Although, we have played awful offenses too lately and still haven't done super great; but by the eye test I can see improvements. And this is with some younger players....so that is positive. That trend needs to continue the final two games for me to be more hopeful there.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The Defense wasted a talented and experiences secondary with a Dline that can't generate a pass rush. Ted doesn't have an exotic scheme that can generate a rush & GT has allowed a 100 yard rusher the last 4 games. Nah not buying the D.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The Defense wasted a talented and experiences secondary with a Dline that can't generate a pass rush. Ted doesn't have an exotic scheme that can generate a rush & GT has allowed a 100 yard rusher the last 4 games. Nah not buying the D.

I see improvements in 3rd down percentages, not too discouraged by 100 yard rushers...that is more an NFL number to me....I also do see better downfield play. I still don't like Ted's overall scheme, and I still think he is at best an average coach. But the team, within what he is asking, is doing it better. His scheme just is what it is when it comes to pressure and pressure packages....

Point is, that doesn't seem like it will change unless we fire ted. But if ted stays, the best we can hope is some improvement within his crappy scheme, which is happening in some areas.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
His scheme from what I can tell is simple and requires exceptional talent. Not sure we'll ever get that kind of talent. I'm not trying to crap on the kids either just saying GT isn't getting Auburn's Dline (he wasn't even good there) . The reason I brought up the rushers is because GT is not good/stout at either run or pass defense.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I see improvements in 3rd down percentages, not too discouraged by 100 yard rushers...that is more an NFL number to me....I also do see better downfield play. I still don't like Ted's overall scheme, and I still think he is at best an average coach. But the team, within what he is asking, is doing it better. His scheme just is what it is when it comes to pressure and pressure packages....
Point is, that doesn't seem like it will change unless we fire ted. But if ted stays, the best we can hope is some improvement within his crappy scheme, which is happening in some areas.

I agree with you that Ted has a pretty poor scheme. I thought he might be a good DC, the first time through at Tech, by applying what he learned from Don Lindsey at GT.
Lindsey had a great scheme, but Ted's relies strictly on talent, which is not a good way to approach it at Tech. I think OLeary had too much influence on him. Ted's only real good defense was one year at Auburn when he had that monster NG, Fairley . Otherwise he has been soso. But he is too good at recruiting to fire.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Putting my notes on Christian Campbell here since I don't want to start another thread.

From my convo with Johnny:
  • CC has a burning desire to play. He's well aware Timmy B. might be back with a medical redshirt, impacting his ability to get on the field at QB. And then of course there is JT for one more year as well as MJ.
  • The only game CC dressed was at ND. He earned this thru his performance on the scout team... as a WR.
  • Johnny's opinion is that if CC wants to play AND has hopes of playing in the NFL, he needs to switch positions. He's said as much to Christian, but it's Christian's decision to make along with the coaches.
  • Johnny believes come spring CC will be lining up at safety. Said when CC worked out for Les Miles (non-contact mind you) he was as good as any of the 5* DBs they had there to a point. Said his opportunity for improvement, however, was playing the ball. Said he'd almost always be in position but the WR ended up with it several times.
  • CC loves school and loves Atlanta. He told Johnny a story about how he never had to write a 20-page paper before GT, so that was a good reminder of where he was.
There's a little more to this and I hope you will appreciate it that I simply cannot share. It's nothing that materially changes the vibe of the above. Just know that CC wants to find a way onto the field.

There's a link between the above and what you'll see in the Donavaughn Campbell update coming shortly.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Putting my notes on Christian Campbell here since I don't want to start another thread.

• CC has a burning desire to play. He's well aware Timmy B. might be back with a medical redshirt, impacting his ability to get on the field at QB. And then of course there is JT for one more year as well as MJ.
  • The only game CC dressed was at ND. He earned this thru his performance on the scout team... as a WR.
  • Johnny's opinion is that if CC wants to play AND has hopes of playing in the NFL, he needs to switch positions. He's said as much to Christian, but it's Christian's decision to make along with the coaches.
  • Johnny believes come spring CC will be lining up at safety. Said when CC worked out for Les Miles (non-contact mind you) he was as good as any of the 5* DBs they had there to a point. Said his opportunity for improvement, however, was playing the ball. Said he'd almost always be in position but the WR ended up with it several times.
  • CC loves school and loves Atlanta. He told Johnny a story about how he never had to write a 20-page paper before GT, so that was a good reminder of where he was.
There's a little more to this and I hope you will appreciate it that I simply cannot share. It's nothing that materially changes the vibe of the above. Just know that CC is ready to find a way onto the field.

There's a link between the above and what you'll see in the Donavaughn Campbell update coming shortly.

@CuseJacket thanks for the write up and information. CC will be an asset at whatever position he winds up at, though after seeing a couple of his runs I would, selfishly, love to see him at QB! :D

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

There's a little more to this and I hope you will appreciate it that I simply cannot share. It's nothing that materially changes the vibe of the above. Just know that CC wants to find a way onto the field.

Good to see he's will to do what it takes to see the field. He was one of the young kids I thought might want to transfer for playing time. I think he's going to be a beast at whatever position he ends up at. Thanks for the insite.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Who's Johnny?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Gotta be honest, if I never heard anyone use the term exotic when describing a blitz or a defense or anything sports related, I'd be fine with that. For me it only confirms that someone has been listening to too much Merrill Hodge. Try thinking for yourself every now and then and not spouting off cliches.