So who leaves? Attrition.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Perspective guys. Benson was a refreshing surprise if I recall. He was the 3rd guy behind Marshall and Perkins, when we lost both of those guys we all worried. Turned out we were deeper than we thought. Benson is a good player no doubt but declaring this a fatal blow is way overreaching. We have so many backs that I’m worried another may leave, it’s going to be hard to get all these backs enough touches to make them all happy and I personally think any of them could start and do just fine.

Correct. He was a good player in the system but not a transcendent talent. He averaged 5.1 a carry and had 6 TDs. If I’m ranking all tech BBs, he’s probably the mid-tier or lower mid. Not in the same convo as the top tier guys

slugboy

Staff member
The main skill I’ve heard of our backs lacking the past decade is pass blocking. That’s a case if not getting in the reps.
I could speculate about why Kirvonte Benson would transfer. I don’t think “fitting the system” is the reason
He got a lousy injury last year, and we looked great with him playing before he got hurt. If he’s fully recovered, then he’d be a great back again. Let’s not underestimate how good a player he was.
He’s played well, his parents were great, I’ll miss him around here, and I wish him the best. He’s an alum now and he’ll always be one of us, even if he transfers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this was posted in another thread or not, but I didn't see it. Mods move or delete if needed.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...dly-planning-transfer/20of2iadZdsRGrNqu8Y3PL/

My comment. He was probably the best of the returning rb's if healthy, but we have a lot of bodies at the position included incoming freshmen. I wish him well. He could have helped a ton last year, his loss was a gut punch especially after the loss of Mills. Those two were just two of many of the "bad luck" happenings to CPJ's chances for success the past few years.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
RB in general is an easier position to determine whether you've got it or not. We've got quite a few guys who've "got it"

I think that's part of why I liked CPJs system, the recruiting piece was a bit easier and a 3* RB has a higher probability of being successful in comparison to a 3* WR.

The NFL has started to go away from the hoss 1 back gets 1000 yards rushing, because it's easier and cheaper to get 2-3RBs who run for 600 yards and 4+ yard per carry vs 1 who runs for 1200. It reduces risk of the lead dog going down and allows you to spend your money at other positions.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
My point is that the prior poster described other posters a certain way. My point is that, regardless of them having done it or not, they'll come back in and claim to have, just to defend/propagate their narrative.

I'm in agreement with the post I responded to and I'm a CPJ fan that's looking forward to the CGC era.

I'm aware that GT alums & sidewalk fans alike have run large corporations.
"Thanks" dtm1997 for the civil, reasoned, well done response. Z

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn’t really matter. If you are a good Bb, then you will be a good rb in any offense. Why does it matter if they were recruited? One could argue that AA was recruited to be a BB since he was a transfer.

I don’t agree with that at all. First of all Allen had 1000 yards in a more traditional RB role before he came.

We’ve had multiple “good” BBs since and none have done anything since leaving. It generally does not translate.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Haven't heard about any more guys expected to leave... are we expecting more attrition in the coming days/weeks? I hope that whoever chooses to leave will do so now so that the staff can pursue senior transfers for those spots for this fall. Leaving in July doesn't help the team in any way, and I would guess leaves that kid with a harder time finding a spot for the fall.

Deleted member 2897

Haven't heard about any more guys expected to leave... are we expecting more attrition in the coming days/weeks? I hope that whoever chooses to leave will do so now so that the staff can pursue senior transfers for those spots for this fall. Leaving in July doesn't help the team in any way, and I would guess leaves that kid with a harder time finding a spot for the fall.

There were rumors both on here and elsewhere that many more were leaving.

Right now, official is Jaylen Jackson, Zakk McKeehan, and Dameon Williams.
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

There is also a rumor about KirVonte Benson and Jacob Brashear, but I haven't found anything public on them yet.

So the rumors are that we are barely halfway done.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I think there will be several more. KQ said between 4 and 7. Not sure if that was before or after Benson.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Luke John is a guy I’m not sure on. Haven’t heard much about him and he was hurt at the spring game. How they recruiting DE’s right now idk.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ways to go before reaching attrtion level average of last 2 regimes.
Coaching transition attrition is it's own animal. CGC's real attrition level starts after yr 1, imo. Like I've said in the past, reasons for guys leaving is crucial. Certain things are beyond a coach's control. Other things, not so much.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
He was only a freshman last year has the size not sure what his injury was but I would not give up on him this early.
He was on a knee scooter - can't remember if he had a lower leg cast. He added about 20 in the offseason program fwiw.