So who leaves? Attrition.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I like philosophical discussions, but lets remember the only thing that has happened here is a few guys left to find opportunities for themselves, which happens every year. And one player who has spent his entire career injured was put on a legit medical scholarship. He will get a Tech degree for free without ever playing a down.

There never was any big bad wolf here.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, Brad Morgan, David Curry, Nathan Cottrell, and Tyler Cooksey are active players graduating this weekend. Cooksey is a walk-on (?), they moved him to TE. Be interesting to see if he stays with the team (or gets a scholly for his last year). Would not be surprised at all to see Cottrell or B Morgan announce they are moving on to the next thing after graduation is over. I think Curry is a guy the coaches will want to keep. But he could Grad Transfer, like Parker and KB, in search of a different opportunity.

Regardless, Big Congratulations to all of them for getting what they came here for.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, Brad Morgan, David Curry, Nathan Cottrell, and Tyler Cooksey are active players graduating this weekend. Cooksey is a walk-on (?), they moved him to TE. Be interesting to see if he stays with the team (or gets a scholly for his last year). Would not be surprised at all to see Cottrell or B Morgan announce they are moving on to the next thing after graduation is over. I think Curry is a guy the coaches will want to keep. But he could Grad Transfer, like Parker and KB, in search of a different opportunity.

Regardless, Big Congratulations to all of them for getting what they came here for.
Cooksey is a scholarship linebacker move to tight end.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete

I think most of the players you mentioned are now in a position to play more than they ever have. I believe Curry is a starting LB, and a legacy, so I don’t see him moving on at all. Cooksey appears to be the back up TE behind Davis. He started the spring game and caught the opening pass of the night. He is also a legacy. I feel a lot of folks are writing Cottrell off because he didn’t participate in the spring game. I think if he wasn’t held out due to injury, we would’ve saw a lot more from him in the slot. Keep in mind he’s one of the fastest dudes on the team. Could use him in the slot behind Ahmarean, and for return purposes. Based on all of the media coming out of winter/spring, he also appears to be committed to the team AND the brand. I have no idea regarding Brad. Is he the one cross training? His brothers are at Tech, and with the state of our OL and DL, I think he has an opportunity to be ATL on one or the other.

And regarding the legacy thing....I know that doesn’t really matter, but being a Curry, I think it does. He’s gonna be a baller for us this year. Cooksey will catch some passes for us this fall, which he should be pumped about...rather than MAYBE seeing the field in a backup LB role.

Just my two cents.

ranjar

Georgia Tech Fan
Curry's dad played for UNC and the Atlanta Falcons. Cooksey's dad is a former Tech player. I believe both will stay. I hate to see Benson leave. I believe a healthy Benson is our best back, but hope he does complete his degree and everything works out for him.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think most of the players you mentioned are now in a position to play more than they ever have. I believe Curry is a starting LB, and a legacy, so I don’t see him moving on at all. Cooksey appears to be the back up TE behind Davis. He started the spring game and caught the opening pass of the night. He is also a legacy. I feel a lot of folks are writing Cottrell off because he didn’t participate in the spring game. I think if he wasn’t held out due to injury, we would’ve saw a lot more from him in the slot. Keep in mind he’s one of the fastest dudes on the team. Could use him in the slot behind Ahmarean, and for return purposes. Based on all of the media coming out of winter/spring, he also appears to be committed to the team AND the brand. I have no idea regarding Brad. Is he the one cross training? His brothers are at Tech, and with the state of our OL and DL, I think he has an opportunity to be ATL on one or the other.

And regarding the legacy thing....I know that doesn’t really matter, but being a Curry, I think it does. He’s gonna be a baller for us this year. Cooksey will catch some passes for us this fall, which he should be pumped about...rather than MAYBE seeing the field in a backup LB role.

Just my two cents.
Brad has had some injury problems as has his twin brother. But if he can stay healthy I do think he will stay to finish with his brother. He loves Tech too much not to play. Matter of fact the whole family does his younger brother Matthew turned down scholarships to come and play for Tech as a walk on. All 3 are very smart and great guys.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
losing Benson hurts bigtime. Good that we have depth there but i doubt any will get the 1K + yds he was likely to get.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...dly-planning-transfer/20of2iadZdsRGrNqu8Y3PL/
Unless I'm mistaken - I haven't checked today - Benson has not entered the NCAA "transfer portal". So what we have so far is rumors of what he might do, given that he is graduating in the summer. What that calls for is a recruiting effort by Coach: he needs to decide if he wants Krivontae to stay - and I'll be the first to call him a fool if he doesn't - then go after him to stay and play for Tech. Bear in mind that he is the only proven 1000+ yard rusher on the team.

I think this rumor might be true and if it is Coach has hard sell to make. Until he graduates, however, he should be our main recruiting target.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Curry's dad played for UNC and the Atlanta Falcons. Cooksey's dad is a former Tech player. I believe both will stay. I hate to see Benson leave. I believe a healthy Benson is our best back, but hope he does complete his degree and everything works out for him.
So, are Bill and Buddy not related? I’ve been fooled this whole time if that’s the case!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be willing to bet $1 the people you just described will come back in to the thread to claim they've had to do the above.
Not one that dislikes either, but what's your point? It's very likely that people here who have done just what the above says, have said let's wait and see. They are also the people who haven't bought time shares or fallen for pyramid schemes. Actually, a great many on here have hired, fired, and run large corporations/businesses---at least those that are over 40. They also had patience with Curry and Ross and will with Collins.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Unless I'm mistaken - I haven't checked today - Benson has not entered the NCAA "transfer portal". So what we have so far is rumors of what he might do, given that he is graduating in the summer. What that calls for is a recruiting effort by Coach: he needs to decide if he wants Krivontae to stay - and I'll be the first to call him a fool if he doesn't - then go after him to stay and play for Tech. Bear in mind that he is the only proven 1000+ yard rusher on the team.

I think this rumor might be true and if it is Coach has hard sell to make. Until he graduates, however, he should be our main recruiting target.
We have no idea what his rehab has been like or whether he will have the speed and/or power he had before the latest injury. My guess is KB feels he has one shot to impress the NFL and doesn’t want to chance it behind a line learning a new offense. If he goes I wish him well and if he says I hope he has a full recovery and helps us win. I would assume CGC wants him to stay and has told him that but understand if KB wants to leave. He would have to come back at 100% and beat out about 4 guys.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone that is transferring posted anything on social media? I know in the past guys have posted a “thank you, but I’m doing what is best for me” letter.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He averaged 6 yds per carry against Clemp & mutt combined in 2017. If anyone does that this year, well I’ll come back on here & let all those that think losing KB is no big deal that they were right. I suspect that will be a hard task for whoever inherits the primary ball carrying duties.

I really don’t understand the logic behind dismissing the significance of losing good players. I like our team but GT has never had sufficient depth to just do a shoulder shrug when a star performer unexpectedly departs. We’re not that deep.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He averaged 6 yds per carry against Clemp & mutt combined in 2017. If anyone does that this year, well I’ll come back on here & let all those that think losing KB is no big deal that they were right. I suspect that will be a hard task for whoever inherits the primary ball carrying duties.

I really don’t understand the logic behind dismissing the significance of losing good players. I like our team but GT has never had sufficient depth to just do a shoulder shrug when a star performer unexpectedly departs. We’re not that deep.

I think folks who aren’t concerned about this feel that we have pretty significant depth at this position and have a stud RB coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Hypothetical question: If a coach has a good reason for letting a player go but doesn’t say so because he doesn’t want to tarnish that kid’s reputation (grades, team rules, questionable behavior, drugs, attitude), even if the coach himself is slammed for losing players, what should he do? It’s a no-win situation. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Not saying this is the case for any specific player, but not saying it isn’t either.