So who leaves? Attrition.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
You can run on bald tires for a while but eventually you’ll get a flat.

In the last 4 decades we’ve never been in position to lose impact players without impact. We’re suddenly different now? I sure hope so.
Unfortunately all we can do is play the waiting game for the next four months. KB was definitely the best B-back we had coming back but we just don't know how well he would have translated to the new offense. Who knows? Jordan Mason, Christian Malloy, Jerry Howard or someone else might be more impactful in this offense than KB was in CPJ's.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
CGC is the head coach and will likely be for a minimum of 3 years. Maybe we can just let him get his roster established the way he wants it?
Playing devil's advocate here, we are often reminded that the S-A commits to the school not the coach. In reverse, it's the school, not the coach, that commits to the S-A.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
My comment is that with the student-athlete we are recruiting them, trying to convince them that GT is the best place for them. Although there might be some "recruiting" with top-level academic achievers, it's a whole different environment. One of the selling points of GT is the value of the degree. So, my point was that comparing the recruitment of student-athletes versus students on academic scholarship really isn't valuable.

That being said, I was a student athlete in high school and played on two club-level teams while at GT, so I understand cuts. Not everyone makes the team. Not everyone is good enough to make the team. Total roster is capped at 105, which means there can only be a maximum of 20 non-scholarship football players. The rest get cut.

After much deliberation and reflection, I am okay with cutting players, which is a reversal of my previous position. However, that acceptance is good only if it's explicitly explained to the recruit that there is no guarantee that the scholarship is good for more than the following year, and than sub par performance could cost someone their spot on the team.

What I'm still working my way through is how you handle student-athletes that are cut after 2 years at the school. To graduate from a 4 year institution, the student has to be enrolled there for the final 4 semesters (2 years of classes). If someone is a RS-sophomore, junior, RS-junior, or senior, you're talking about adding time to their education by them transferring. I haven't resolved this yet, but am still digesting.

It's an interesting discussion, and definitely not as clear-cut as many are making it. To me, it's not an ethical question as long as there is honest dialogue from the very beginning.

The student can stay and as long as their grades/classes/credits are accepted they lose no time in obtaining their degree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The student can stay and as long as their grades/classes/credits are accepted they lose no time in obtaining their degree.
Right. And pay their own way. In-state might not be so bad, but out-of-state that gets to be pretty steep. Now add on all the food and clothing and other stuff the SA gets. It's not an insignificant change. That being said, I'm still working through how I feel about it.