So who leaves? Attrition.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Howard, Mason, Malloy, Griffin, Amerson. We are going to throw plenty, too. Just not enough carries for KB to get himself noticed.

I mean thats kind of ridiculous, if anything (assuming he comes back from his injury strong) would be our best rb (not counting Griffin) and would be more able to showcase nfl rb skills (pass blocking anyone) much moreso than in the old offense imo.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Ask parker Braun?
Ok read the post.

I ll try again.

At gt the rb will have a lot of guys get touches in the new scheme.

Since KB has had major surgeries (3), he needs to show he is fully recovered or NFL scouts will take a sure thing

Where is there a better place than GT to showcase his skills? Your last statement will be true anywhere.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Where is there a better place than GT to showcase his skills? Your last statement will be true anywhere.
I disagree and KB and Parker disagree.

How bout i add another idea to try to convince u. The next school might have a course of stydy he wants to pursue but gt does not offer ( parker wants some type of anthropology)

Now for an idea that supports your gt idea. At gt he may get less touches, but w the new pass blocking scheme he would d get a LOT of high lite film stone blocking rushers. To me that's we are going to miss. KB violently flipped the rusher like they hit a stump. Protecting the qb is highly valued by nfl

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I mean thats kind of ridiculous, if anything (assuming he comes back from his injury strong) would be our best rb (not counting Griffin) and would be more able to showcase nfl rb skills (pass blocking anyone) much moreso than in the old offense imo.

Howard has looked really good. And you've got to consider that KB hasn't participated all spring. All our staff has on him is film from a totally different offense. Not saying he needed to go, but can totally understand why he would.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ll miss KB, but I don’t see it as a huge loss. RB is an area of fullness.

I agree. I wish he would stay but that’s a position we can afford to lose several. Make no mistake, Griffin will be the starter. Collins is gonna showcase the studs so expect to see a lot of young guys flying around the field.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
System, system, system. KB was the best Bback, but he’s not as suited for our new system as other RB’s are. That’s nothing against him, he was very good, his running style is just different than what our new system typically has. I say this to show even if healthy he might not have been the best RB. I do wish him well though, curious to see where he lands.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to football and sports in general we all have a little bit of that "shiny ball syndrome". We'll all miss KB a ton for all the great things he's done for The Institute until someone else comes in and has big moments for themselves. We all missed Dedrick Mills but KirVonte Benson helped us to move past him. It'll be the same thing here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
System, system, system. KB was the best Bback, but he’s not as suited for our new system as other RB’s are. That’s nothing against him, he was very good, his running style is just different than what our new system typically has. I say this to show even if healthy he might not have been the best RB. I do wish him well though, curious to see where he lands.

So he’s going to showcase himself for the nfl by playing BB at Woford or K State? I don’t buy that he’s not suited for a different offense, we don’t know that, but if he’s not he sure ain’t sniffin’ the league.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Judging from the spring game Mason will be back 1a in a heavy rotation of backs. I’m sure Griffin will come in and get major burn.

LibertyTurns

Banned
When it comes to football and sports in general we all have a little bit of that "shiny ball syndrome". We'll all miss KB a ton for all the great things he's done for The Institute until someone else comes in and has big moments for themselves. We all missed Dedrick Mills but KirVonte Benson helped us to move past him. It'll be the same thing here.
You can run on bald tires for a while but eventually you’ll get a flat.

In the last 4 decades we’ve never been in position to lose impact players without impact. We’re suddenly different now? I sure hope so.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea the numbers on that, not sure where this is going.
My comment is that with the student-athlete we are recruiting them, trying to convince them that GT is the best place for them. Although there might be some "recruiting" with top-level academic achievers, it's a whole different environment. One of the selling points of GT is the value of the degree. So, my point was that comparing the recruitment of student-athletes versus students on academic scholarship really isn't valuable.

That being said, I was a student athlete in high school and played on two club-level teams while at GT, so I understand cuts. Not everyone makes the team. Not everyone is good enough to make the team. Total roster is capped at 105, which means there can only be a maximum of 20 non-scholarship football players. The rest get cut.

After much deliberation and reflection, I am okay with cutting players, which is a reversal of my previous position. However, that acceptance is good only if it's explicitly explained to the recruit that there is no guarantee that the scholarship is good for more than the following year, and than sub par performance could cost someone their spot on the team.

What I'm still working my way through is how you handle student-athletes that are cut after 2 years at the school. To graduate from a 4 year institution, the student has to be enrolled there for the final 4 semesters (2 years of classes). If someone is a RS-sophomore, junior, RS-junior, or senior, you're talking about adding time to their education by them transferring. I haven't resolved this yet, but am still digesting.

It's an interesting discussion, and definitely not as clear-cut as many are making it. To me, it's not an ethical question as long as there is honest dialogue from the very beginning.