So who leaves? Attrition.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Are they saying flat out that people are forced out at the threat of losing their scholarship? Or is it something a little less than that?

I think your question is subject to individual interpretation. It is my understanding that the players were given three options:

1) Stay on the football team as a walk-in with no scholarship.
2) Stay at Tech on scholarship, but don’t play football.
3) Transfer with the full help of the coaching staff.

Some will say that’s a fair offer for a player that won’t see playing time at GT. Others will say it’s “forcing a player out”. I can see how young men would see it as being forced out, especially after a tough spring. But, many of them just might land in better situations and thank the coaches later.

I hear the total is up to 9.

wc

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I have a question, and it's an honest one - I really just want to know and pin this down because I missed those posts. Do these players specifically say folks were told they will lose their scholarships if they stay at Georgia Tech, and must transfer if they want a football scholarship? Or are they saying vaguely that folks are "processed", and that "it" goes on everywhere, whatever "it" is (medicals, frank conversations about playing time, and so forth? I just want to pin down exactly what they're saying. Are they saying flat out that people are forced out at the threat of losing their scholarship? Or is it something a little less than that?

Idk about this particular situation, but as someone who played under the past 2 coaches, yes there have been times players have been told there is no way you’ll see the field here, i am not renewing your scholarship, so it would be best if you moved on. 90% time the player is just as frustrated with their current situation so coercion is usually met mutual decision to split.

We cut, we process, we coerce. Just on a smaller scale

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Damien Williams was probably #8 CB. Jaylen Jackson came in to play a spot that doesn't even exist anymore and was moving around 2 other positions where there is a lot of quality further ahead of him/been at that position longer than him. I hope both find new landing spots where they get to play more football. I don't get the outrage here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Idk about this particular situation, but as someone who played under the past 2 coaches, yes there have been times players have been told there is no way you’ll see the field here, i am not renewing your scholarship, so it would be best if you moved on. 90% time the player is just as frustrated with their current situation so coercion is usually met mutual decision to split.

We cut, we process, we coerce. Just on a smaller scale

Thanks for your answer. "I am not renewing your scholarship". That's clear.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think your question is subject to individual interpretation. It is my understanding that the players were given three options:

1) Stay on the football team as a walk-in with no scholarship.
2) Stay at Tech on scholarship, but don’t play football.
3) Transfer with the full help of the coaching staff.

Some will say that’s a fair offer for a player that won’t see playing time at GT. Others will say it’s “forcing a player out”. I can see how young men would see it as being forced out, especially after a tough spring. But, many of them just might land in better situations and thank the coaches later.

I hear the total is up to 9.

wc
Total attrition in
14 = 13,
15 = 8,
16 = 15,
17 = 11
Average 12 per year.

Deleted member 2897

Total attrition in
14 = 13,
15 = 8,
16 = 15,
17 = 11
Average 12 per year.

I’m not sure how those numbers add up. If you graduate 90% of the guys, have 20 commit classes but average 12 exits...it just doesn’t work for me. What am I missing?

Milwaukee

Banned
Every team in America cuts. Stanford cuts, buddies of mine that play for Ivies have told me they have cuts.

To be frank GT football is a business and this isn’t some welfare system to give underserved kids GT degrees.

I traded my abilities for a top tier degree knowing I wasn’t going to the NFL. That was as much as business decision as anything else.

I could kiss you on the mouth right now. @Ibeeballin and I have fought this same argument until we finally were just exhausted at the waste of energy and were done trying to enlighten people. You can tell those people the price of gas is $2.79 and literally show them the receipt and they would still disagree. It's just blatant trolling/ignorance at this point with a few. "Tech would never do that, and if they did, I tell you right now, I won't support any longer". Well guess what homie, wake up from your deep naive sleep is all I can tell you.

I don't want to lose fans but I want them to know that we are a D1 football school and we are in fact a business.

Losing weight over here with these victory laps lol. *inside joke

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I could kiss you on the mouth right now. @Ibeeballin and I have fought this same argument until we finally were just exhausted at the waste of energy and were done trying to enlighten people. You can tell those people the price of gas is $2.79 and literally show them the receipt and they would still disagree. It's just blatant trolling/ignorance at this point with a few. "Tech would never do that, and if they did, I tell you right now, I won't support any longer". Well guess what homie, wake up from your deep naive sleep is all I can tell you.

I don't want to lose fans but I want them to know that we are a D1 football school and we are in fact a business.

Losing weight over here with these victory laps lol.

To me, this sounds fairly realistic. Don't waste away though. Maybe treat yourself to some ice cream after the laps. You deserve it more than the ignorant trolls.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Losing weight over here with these victory laps lol. *inside joke
I would like to see the receipt I'm sure I paid $2.81 yesterday. :)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Exactly! They've all done it going back to at least the Ross years. Probably farther. This board has become infested with a bunch of former Hive "Pollyanna's." Playing the "holier than thou" schtick in an effort to paint the new staff in a bad way is getting old. There are a few fonts here that just can't let Johnson go so they try and find anything to ***** about and ****post in just about every thread. Even the damn recruit threads. News flash. Johnson retired! Let it go people! Acting like the Johnson years were some kind of utopia is absurd. Nothing Collins has done to this point has been bad. Recruiting has picked up. Fan interest has picked up. If people want to ***** and moan at least wait until we've played a few games. We'll probably struggle this year so they'll have plenty to ***** about then.

If he is processing kids that is bad and it is new compared to all prior staffs unless someone can name some names. No one has yet.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure how those numbers add up. If you graduate 90% of the guys, have 20 commit classes but average 12 exits...it just doesn’t work for me. What am I missing?

Probably bring in 3 transfers a year and were giving 3 walkons a year a scholly. Gets you around 85 per season with some obvious variance

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have a question, and it's an honest one - I really just want to know and pin this down because I missed those posts. Do these players specifically say folks were told they will lose their scholarships if they stay at Georgia Tech, and must transfer if they want a football scholarship? Or are they saying vaguely that folks are "processed", and that "it" goes on everywhere, whatever "it" is (medicals, frank conversations about playing time, and so forth? I just want to pin down exactly what they're saying. Are they saying flat out that people are forced out at the threat of losing their scholarship? Or is it something a little less than that?

They refuse to pin it down and just keep shuffling their argument cards.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If he is processing kids that is bad and it is new compared to all prior staffs unless someone can name some names. No one has yet.
You are like my wife you are not going to say you are wrong.
CB Dorian Walker
Just completed his redshirt freshman season as the #4 CB on the depth chart. Played sparingly in all of the team’s regular season games, recording 3 tackles all season. Made an interception against Vanderbilt.

Players ahead of him on the depth chart entering his sophomore season include rising senior Step Durham, rising senior Lance Austin, and rising junior Lamont Simmons. In other words, he was due to again spend a majority of 2017 on the bench and on special teams before having a shot at starting as a junior in 2018 — and that’s assuming he could beat out incoming recruits such as Tre’ Swilling and Jaytlin Askew.

LB Emanuel Bridges
Just completed his freshman season, having redshirted after enrolling in January 2016.

Players ahead of him on the depth chart entering his freshman season of 2017 included rising junior Brant Mitchell, rising junior Vic Alexander, rising senior Terrell Lewis, rising junior Tre Jackson, and rising sophomore David Curry. As Georgia Tech continues to play in many 2-linebacker sets, there’s a decent chance Bridges wouldn’t have seen much of the field in 2017 and may not have had much opportunity to start until 2019.

WR Christian Philpott
Just completed his redshirt freshman season, outside of the two-deep at wide receiver. He recorded a catch for 9 yards against Vanderbilt, and only played in two other games without recording any statistics.

Players ahead of him on the depth chart entering his sophomore season included rising senior Ricky Jeune, rising junior Brad Stewart, rising junior Mikell Lands-Davis, rising true sophomore Jalen Camp, and rising senior Antonio Messick. Rising sophomore Harland Howell also played in more games in 2016 than Philpott did, and both Steve Dolphus and Jair Hawkins-Anderson will be eligible to play as freshmen in 2017 after redshirting in 2016. It’s unlikely he ever would have started at Georgia Tech, and it was probably unlikely that he would have played a significant amount over his final three seasons.

SDE/DT Trent Sellers
Just completed his redshirt freshman season, outside of the two-deep at both SDE and DT. His only game action was in a blowout win against Vanderbilt, and he didn’t record any tackles or other statistics.

There are no less than three players that would have likely been in front of Sellers on the depth chart entering his sophomore season of 2017 at either position, including senior Antonio Simmons, junior Tyler Merriweather, senior Desmond Branch, junior Kyle Cerge-Henderson, sophomore Brentavious Glanton, and potentially redshirt freshman Chris Martin. It’s unlikely he ever would have started at Georgia Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Name you names of ex players. Blatantly calling members & alumni of the team liars.

Just have to start hitting ignore or hide.

Just pointing out the facts. Only name named so far was Trent Sellers. That one does not appear to apply.

But the pro processing apologists keep moving goal posts, changing definitions of what being processed even is. I think they are as confused by their changing arguments as I have become.

Let’s just go back to this since they keep talking about CPJ and claiming he processed players.

Some argue CPJ was stupid not to oversign and Tech paid a price in recruiting because of it by always being under the 85 limit. Other apologists argue that line of thought by alleging he processed players.

Let me just ask this. How does processing even apply to a program that did not over sign? Answer is obviously that it does not apply.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
But no names named. Smells like win at all cost apologists for anything that helps win today.

Ibeeballin has listed multiple players from multiple classes. Other posters have as well. If you don’t choose to believe it happened under CPJ, Gailey, etc. that is your choice. There’s no need to keep demanding names when the information is out there.

When CGC moves on one day, our next coach will send players packing as well. It’s the nature of the beast the NCAA had created.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Eh, I know some on here want to believe that GT is above a lot of things, but the reality of it is GT does the same things a lot of the factory schools do...we just don't do it to the extreme levels they do.

"Cut" players before their eligibility runs out? We do it, former SAs that have sat in front of coaches who gave them "the talk" attest to it.

"Pay" players? If you dig deep enough on this board, you'll find some very well informed posters have alluded to it...hint: look up posts on the 2007 class. I doubt we're paying tens of thousands, definitely not hundreds, but GT isn't as clean as many want to believe.

Taking in players and "getting them through" classes for sports? Quite a few of the "attrition" is because the staff got players as far as they could and SAs had no choice but to transfer to a JUCO or lower level school.

There's probably a LOT more going on than we'll ever know, or want to know. Being a fan of a school is a choice. Some of it isn't as clean as we'd like, but business is rarely clean. College sports is a business. If it doesn't sit well with you, choose the Ivy League...but they're not wholly clean either. How about High School sports? Same.

If you don't like that compromises are made to be successful, then maybe quit following sports altogether because even the lowest levels of sports (pee wee ball) has some elements that isn't clean.