So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
“We’re playing for the NCAA tournament,” Pastner said. “I mean, that’s what we want to do.

I would not any find fault with any starter or any other player that sat on the bench in the final 2 games as a protest. Imagine that you have been hustling and banging and playing your heart out to get a shot to go to the "Big Dance" but the AA who you thought had your back yanks the rug out from under you, and you won't even get to play in your conference tournament.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
“We’re playing for the NCAA tournament,” Pastner said. “I mean, that’s what we want to do.

I would not any find fault with any starter or any other player that sat on the bench in the final 2 games as a protest. Imagine that you have been hustling and banging and playing your heart out to get a shot to go to the "Big Dance" but the AA who you thought had your back yanks the rug out from under you, and you won't even get to play in your conference tournament.

Don’t be a clown. That’s not what a teammate does. They show up and play their tail off for the team. There is no way that this was a surprise for the kids.

ETA: If it comes out that I am wrong, and the kids didn’t hear the why and the what of this then I’ll eat crow. The situation sucks, no argument here, but quitting on the team doesn’t do anyone any good. This was the least of two bad choices. Take the anger at the NCAA not the AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Well said!! I’ll be there and I’ll be louder than normal. The NCAA can go and **** themselves. So many crooked *** programs like LSU, Kansas, Arizona all caught on tape cheating, giving kids tens of thousands, and they come after us.

The worst part is that they’re too much of a ***** to even send them a letter about the infractions.

Agree on all points. And add to that the fact that we self-reported, penalized ourselves (Dlab suspended, Okokie and Jackson forced to sit), and then the NCAA came out a year+ later as if they had nosed it out and investigated it all themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck

The NCAAT is not the only thing the players are playing for! GT has two conference games remaining. If they go 10-10 in conference, that .500 conference record will be the highest winning percentage since 2007. If we manage to win both remaining games, the 11-9 record (.550) will be the highest winning percentage since the 2004 national finalist team that went 9-7 (.562).

And the team is not going to want to send James Bans and Shembari Phillips out as losers when the team can demonstrate an decided uptick in the quality of play this year.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I don’t understand how our team will be better next year. James Banks rim protection is not an easy replacement and I don’t see how we make that happen next year.

Deleted member 2897

I guess I don’t understand how our team will be better next year. James Banks rim protection is not an easy replacement and I don’t see how we make that happen next year.

Because our other top 8 players are all back, and Banks is replaced by a 7 footer that 247 rates as a top 100 player nationally.

GT11

GT Athlete

I WOULD. You play for your school an your teammates. I see this having more pride and the guts to handle this situation the way it should. They will want to finish strong and as winner not someone you let a teammate down on their last games by taking a seat. Taking a seat the last two minutes is not an option

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see how Mr. Zelnak feels after offering up the cash for a lawsuit against the NCAA, then to have Stansbury blink. Will he open his checkbook in the future after such a public humiliation?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like to see how Mr. Zelnak feels after offering up the cash for a lawsuit against the NCAA, then to have Stansbury blink. Will he open his checkbook in the future after such a public humiliation?

If anyone had really in-depth knowledge of the plan here, it was Zelnak. He's way too invested and is on the GTAA Board.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a lot more to the punishment being appealed than the post-season ban.

Deleted member 2897

Public humiliation? LOL.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

I see no humiliation, public or otherwise. If Mr.Zelnak and others plan to sue because of inconsistency in how the NCAA has penalized member schools for infractions —which is how he was quoted by the AJC —- this does nothing to change that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Silly response. Zelnak probably knew about this or at least knew it was a distinct possibility when he gave the interview. I'm sure TStan has been waiting til the last minute hoping the NCAA would decide something but finally had to make the move. If anything it should make Zelnak even more convinced that this needs to be publicly thrown back in the NCAA enforcement committee's face.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck

You are right in that we probably won't have a low post defensive presence of the level of Banks. But you can make up for the loss by being better in other areas. For instance, without Banks, the team might show better court awareness, can open the floor and speed-up the pace of play.
We add shooter Maxwell and return Sjolund. With Alvarado, Devoe, and Wright the team might finally have enough outside firepower to spread the floor and challenge defenses.
In other words, we might be seeing a shift from a defense-first, grind-it-out kind of team to one that wants a lot of possessions.

Maybe not all of the things we are losing after this season are good things.