So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well now that the choice has been made I guess it’s time to throw as much support as we can at the team. Sure hope this avoids defections in the offseason.

Also I disagree about having nothing to play for. We need to get above .500 in league play and then take the time to relax this tourney season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
The ACC crowns its champion in the tournament. If GT were to win it there would be no champion. If you say, crown the second place team you make the championship game meaningless.

Or, if any of the teams we beat on the way to the championship game would have beaten the second-place team, the ACC would never know what team should have been the champion...we’d have just distorted the entire process

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well now that the choice has been made I guess it’s time to throw as much support as we can at the team. Sure hope this avoids defections in the offseason.

Also I disagree about having nothing to play for. We need to get above .500 in league play and then take the time to relax this tourney season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Winning these next two games gives us a winning record in the ACC.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably the most prudent decision. It should never take this long to decide an appeal. It does provide the ultimate clarity for next season for Pastner, NCAA tourney or you are fired. This year's team was a tourney team without injuries and I see as winning the last two. Next year, no excuses.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
For the program this is for the best. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on the players. I could see it deflating them because of thinking that they aren't playing for anything significant this year (not that I agree with that outlook). Or I could see it energizing them to treat these last two games extra special because they won't be playing again this year.

Overall the ban isn't likely to translate to anything other than missing one or maybe 2 games. I hate it for Banks and Phillips but they are both transfers, and while I certainly appreciate what they have done for us, I'd hate it more to see guys like Jose, Moses, and Evan who came as freshman when we were so low not have a chance to play for a NCAAT showing their senior year. This year the appeal gave us that chance, and although the team made strides and did better in conference play than we have in a long time, it wasn't enough. I don't feel this team was robbed of an NCAAT appearance. I do think had we been banned next year it would have felt that way, or given transfers robbed of a chance to play for a spot.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
So much for getting a first day bye at the ACC tourney..... figures. Good grief it’s painful being a GT fan sometimes.

The NCAA ram rods us every chance they get. Takes away our ACC championship in football under CPJ for Bebe accepting like $200 worth of clothes and now this.

Meanwhile Auburn pays Scam Newton to come their for a year and they win a Natty in football and then hires Bruce Pearl the sleaziest coach in all of basketball and they make a final 4. The NCAA has never thought about punishing them for anything . Such a load of crap
What a great last few days it’s been

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The appeal on the loss of scholarship and recruiting limitations is still on the table. Maybe the fact that we take the more public penalty of sitting out the ACCT will encourage the NCAA to give us a break and quietly give us out scholly back and recruiting harness when Men's Hoops are not on the media's front burner.

As for sitting out the post season this year, we were not going to make the NCAAT this season and I don't care much about the NIT. But, sitting out the ACCT this season is a bitter pill to swallow.

As for next year, it is a big year for Pastner as the roster seems to be set-up decently as it sits now. But a lot can happen that is beyond a coach's control (early departures, injuries). So, what I am looking at is this Fall recruiting period. We seem, finally, to have established some inroads with several in-state recruits of note. If we pull in a good class in the Fall after having us set-up pretty good roster-wise for next year, that is good enough for me.

GT11

GT Athlete
Fans need to come to the game Wednesday and stand in support of these kids. They’ve worked hard not backing down from anything knowing in the of their minds this could happen. They’ve shown a mental toughness that not all teams have.

There have been a lot of BLOWHARDS that badmouthed the team and the coaches. But, you know, as a GT alum, it’s great to come to a game every night and know we have a chance to win every game. I for one am proud of these kids and work the coaches have done. Sorry if you disagree, but that your issue.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2020-3-2_17-44-19.png
1. Why does it take 4+months for the NCAA to rule on the appeal? It should take a few weeks at most once the school appeals.
I won’t argue, but they do have a standard timeline for the appeals process which allows for a response, rebuttal, and a hearing.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Fans need to come to the game Wednesday and stand in support of these kids. They’ve worked hard not backing down from anything knowing in the of their minds this could happen.

This. Times ten.

My senior year, we had a mediocre record and knew we wouldn't make the postseason. (We won our conference junior year, so it was a huge letdown) Senior night, our gym was packed and people were loud as hell. It meant a lot to us and I'll never forget it. I hope we can do the same for Banks on Weds

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This decision makes the most sense to me. I believe barring injury we will have a better team next year with the continued improvement of current players and the addition of the freshmen. This team should be a tourney team next year. Risking having to sit out next year vs. This year would not be wise.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like this was the plan the entire time as far as the timing of the announcement goes. It is obvious that we aren’t making the NCAA tournament at this point. I don’t really mind the decision. I think we could have a really good team next year. If we can come right back with another class like the class coming in, I’m confident we can turn this thing around.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Not that this ultimately matters, but how does this end up in the history books? Do we still end the season in the top ten (maybe top 5) of the ACC or do we end up in last place? I guess we end up where we end up in the regular season, then have an asterisk next to our name for the tournament???

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fans need to come to the game Wednesday and stand in support of these kids. They’ve worked hard not backing down from anything knowing in the of their minds this could happen. They’ve shown a mental toughness that not all teams have.

There have been a lot of BLOWHARDS that badmouthed the team and the coaches. But, you know, as a GT alum, it’s great to come to a game every night and know we have a chance to win every game. I for one am proud of these kids and work the coaches have done. Sorry if you disagree, but that your issue.

Well said!! I’ll be there and I’ll be louder than normal. The NCAA can go and **** themselves. So many crooked *** programs like LSU, Kansas, Arizona all caught on tape cheating, giving kids tens of thousands, and they come after us.

The worst part is that they’re too much of a ***** to even send them a letter about the infractions.