So how do people feel about Brent Key and Geoff Collins-

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
So, 60/40, where most of the top 25 recruits in the top 25. Good research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also note that many of those Top 25 in Rankings Only aren't in the P5 and don't play a P5 conference schedule. Take them out and skews even more.

Formerly "GTjay"

slugboy

Staff member
Also note that many of those Top 25 in Rankings Only aren't in the P5 and don't play a P5 conference schedule. Take them out and skews even more.

Formerly "GTjay"

I don’t know about that. UCF, Fresno State, Utah State, and App State weren’t P5, but I think they’d still be top 25 with a P5 schedule. Those teams were GOOD.
If anything, the G5 schools have a harder time making the top 25 because of bias against them. Computer polls and other statistical rankings usually rate them higher than the playoff and other human polls.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know about that. UCF, Fresno State, Utah State, and App State weren’t P5, but I think they’d still be top 25 with a P5 schedule. Those teams were GOOD.
If anything, the G5 schools have a harder time making the top 25 because of bias against them. Computer polls and other statistical rankings usually rate them higher than the playoff and other human polls.

I agree some of them may have still been top 25. But throughout the season they faced lesser talent, therefore likely needing less to win as much. Just of note.

Formerly "GTjay"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I feel very good about Geoff Collins and his coaching staff and i think they will do very good things at Georgia Tech

I am very happy with the drive, enthusiasm, and ability to connect with high school athletes that we have seen from Coach Collins and his staff. Coach Choice was at the basketball game with a recruit last night. We have good things happening BUT there will be challenges, disappointments, and some hills to climb in transitioning to a more traditional offense and defense. We lack talent in both lines and that will not be remedied in just one class. Recruiting of linemen needs to be job one from the class of 2020 onwards. Tech fans will need to be patient and keep your eyes on the prize.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
New to the group, 08' Grad...What do I think? I'm all the way turnt up! We win another National Championship before that lesser in-state school does. We beat Clemson in August. The single greatest thing hurting Tech's recruiting is not academics...It's our "cautiously optimistic" fan base. Recruits don't want to come online and see that. Put me and my boys on the field with any team in the world and I'm going to think we're going to win...until we don't. That's what this coaching staff believes and if your athletes believe that too then magical things will happen regardless of rankings. Back that by a fanbase that jumps on the bandwagon and turns the hype volume all the way up and no one can stop you. We are in the state with the greatest talent in the #1 city for any young man. How hard is it to sell ATL vs some backwoods farming school. Hell, we have a waffle house on campus...and we've put men on the moon! I know, I know, we're all engineers and way too good at numbers, statistics but I have a solution...six pack of beer(preferably PBR), a four loco, a gallon of ice cream and your favorite bag of Doritos. Turn your brain into a sugar high mush equivalent to the average Alabama fan. Then tell me Georgia Tech isn't capable of being the helluva greatest college football school in the universe. 4X National Champions and that's not all!
My mans

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree some of them may have still been top 25. But throughout the season they faced lesser talent, therefore likely needing less to win as much. Just of note.

That is just speculation. Years ago SEC homers used to say that the Big 12 was a weak conference and that if Oklahoma or Texas were in the SEC, they would have problems getting to a winning record. Two lesser Big 12 teams, A&M and Mizz, joined and not only had winning records but exceeded expectations. Mizz even made it to the SEC championship game two years. Talk is talk. Until you play on the field, it doesn't mean anything.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
who gives a damn about FSU? Dabo has a dynasty and is doing it the right way. So is Coach Collins.

I try not to make derogatory comments about our ACC brethren but in the case of FSU (ditto the U, and UNC) I will make an exception. Personally, I am very happy for the success that Clemson has made in recent years. When you look back over a half century and see how long they have waited for this moment of glory when they have had times that were oh so close and then a humiliating loss would ensue usually on national television with all the snide remarks about "Clemsoning". To take just one example, of several, they were 8-0 visiting Grant Field in the late fall of 2011 playing a dangerous but decidedly inferior Tech team. They were touted at being, what? number 3 or 5 or some such, with the chance to be the first ACC team since NC State in the early 2000s with Phillip Rivers to go 9-0. Lo and behold Tevin Washington has the game of his life, Orwin Smith and Embry Peeples run wild and tiger angst is evident among the visitors...again. Contrast that with FSU and Miami who down through the years have managed to win national championships but have largely squandered talent on an obscene basis. That said, I want to beat them again doing it the right way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Back to the original question about feelings about Collins and Key. I have said before about CGC that I am cautiously optimistic. Some believe that that is a knock against CGC or that I am working against him. That isn't how I feel.

I have heard others comment about him from the range of -- We are now on the level of Alabama and Clemson -- to -- This much hype sounds just like B*** L****. My feelings are not represented in either of those levels.

The general feelings I have seen posted are that CGC's crew will need to: Recruit better, coach defense better, coach special teams better, not drop off on offense much. They can do those things, but they haven't as of yet. We will see next fall how they can coach, but if they stumble that could be interpreted as an issue with personnel they inherited. We will see in the next two recruiting classes how they can recruit, but even if they have higher ranked classed it will take another couple of years to see if those recruits pan out and/or can stay in school. Even if the classes are ranked lower, it will still take a couple of years at least to see if those players pan out better than the websites ranked them.

CGC is the head coach for GT football, and I support him. I feel good about the things they are doing. It is far too early to form an opinion on CGC's place in the history of coaches at GT. I don't understand why that upsets some people.

I want to see our players get better over time. We have not done as well in developing players lately as we perhaps could be doing. I honestly believe that we will get better over time from expanded recruiting efforts and relentless pursuit of players that hitherto were dismissed as not being able to make the grade at Tech. The days of teams coming into metro Atlanta and stealing players right out from under our noses are about to come to an end. This state is producing talent in the top 5 of all states in the country. It is high time we got our share and then some.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I did that exact analysis a few years back and the data showed roughly 50% of that year’s top 25 had a 5 year average recruiting ranking in the top 25.

There are some schools that routinely perform better than their recruiting rankings would suggest. Wisconsin is one that comes to mind. Let me tell you though, recruiting good players and developing their talents to fit your program is the best way to improve a football team. That said, just recruiting a bunch of four and five star prima donnas looking to show off their bona fides waiting for a big paycheck will not get it done.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It seems to be about 15 out of the top 25 have a top 25 roster, so 60%. I used the Football Outsiders F/+ Rankings to even out schedule and bias and I used the 247 Team Talent Composite for roster talent. The 10 teams that have top 25 talent that missed the top 25 rankings include USC, Florida State, Tennessee, Miami, Stanford, UCLA, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Maryland, and Oregon (Stanford barely missed it at #27 on F/+).

Top 25 in Recruiting and Rankings:
Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, Washington, Michigan, Florida, Mississippi State, Penn State, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Texas.

Top 25 in Rankings Only:
Central Florida (56th in recruiting), Fresno State (83), Missouri (42), Utah (44), Utah State (103), Iowa (43), Appalachian State (110), Boise State (58), West Virginia (38), and Washington State (57).

For reference, GT's roster last year was considered to be 50th.

It is hard to believe that Central Florida was only 56th in recruiting being smack dab in the middle of a recruiter's dream in the Sunshine State but then they have three bullies to contend with in the U, FSU, and the mighty Gators, so maybe it is legit. Could be that is why Coach Frost elected to leave Central Florida to go home to Nebraska.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to believe that Central Florida was only 56th in recruiting being smack dab in the middle of a recruiter's dream in the Sunshine State but then they have three bullies to contend with in the U, FSU, and the mighty Gators, so maybe it is legit. Could be that is why Coach Frost elected to leave Central Florida to go home to Nebraska.
The qb (melton) makes a huge difference in their system.
I would have thought they would do a better recruiting job.
Ucf got 2 from pensacola high team that had a terrible years the last 2 years. Coach dismissed halfway thru year. One player they got is defensive end and bb center . Other kid was highly rated gt recruit that ucf flipped from texas a m.

They need a better recruiting organization

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Would this be closer to true?
The single biggest thing hurting tech recruiting that we can do anything about is the overly pessimistic attitude of the fans.

So all of the failures of the last regime fall at the feet of option haters by your logic.

Recruits read little on any fan forums and it’s probably worse at other schools than here even. You want to really know what fans do that hurts recruiting? Crappy game day presence at BDS!

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So all of the failures of the last regime fall at the feet of option haters by your logic.

Recruits read little on any fan forums and it’s probably worse at other schools than here even. You want to really know what fans do that hurts recruiting? ****ty game day presence at BDS!
Wow!!
Loaded for bear.

You really got me.

It was a trick question

Read the next post.

We hired a nut ball wildman recruiting hc andxwe hope like he k he can coach.

Duh, recruits reading a stupid forum where grumpy old men gripl!

Who would say that's true? An idiot.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Wow!!
Loaded for bear.

You really got me.

It was a trick question

Read the next post.

We hired a nut ball wildman recruiting hc andxwe hope like he k he can coach.

Duh, recruits reading a stupid forum where grumpy old men gripl!

Who would say that's true? An idiot.

Well.......

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I want to see our players get better over time. We have not done as well in developing players lately as we perhaps could be doing. I honestly believe that we will get better over time from expanded recruiting efforts and relentless pursuit of players that hitherto were dismissed as not being able to make the grade at Tech. The days of teams coming into metro Atlanta and stealing players right out from under our noses are about to come to an end. This state is producing talent in the top 5 of all states in the country. It is high time we got our share and then some.
“I didn’t come here to play school!”

One “elite” had the balls to say it out loud in front of reporters.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I am very happy with the drive, enthusiasm, and ability to connect with high school athletes that we have seen from Coach Collins and his staff. Coach Choice was at the basketball game with a recruit last night. We have good things happening BUT there will be challenges, disappointments, and some hills to climb in transitioning to a more traditional offense and defense. We lack talent in both lines and that will not be remedied in just one class. Recruiting of linemen needs to be job one from the class of 2020 onwards. Tech fans will need to be patient and keep your eyes on the prize.
CGC is not getting an empty cupboard on the OL.