So how do people feel about Brent Key and Geoff Collins-

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So have u and Animal given us a number that is acceptable for cgc? Finish in top 20??
Those were the days.
My criteria extends beyond onfield record. Furthermore, the onfield record component doesn’t focus on mean record/winning percentage. I’m ok with ups and downs as long as the highs include division and conference championships and major bowls.

Off the field we cannot regress in APR, grad rate, philanthropy and citizenship.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That surprises me. I will have a look at the numbers myself sometime when I have the time.
I used the data from a site that compiled 5 yr composites from all recruiting sites and then ranked the results. I then compared that to the most recent top 25 final AP rankings and got the result that surprises. I was surprised as well.

slugboy

Staff member
That surprises me. I will have a look at the numbers myself sometime when I have the time.

It makes sense. Recruiting is important, but not everything. The team that averages #20 recruiting classes but underachieves vs their talent won’t be top 25. I’d expect about half to underachieve vs their recruiting.
Look at Miami for example; they start ranked in the top 25 based on recruiting classes but end up out of the top 25. How many others can you think of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It makes sense. Recruiting is important, but not everything. The team that averages #20 recruiting classes but underachieves vs their talent won’t be top 25.
Look at Miami for example; they start ranked in the top 25 based on recruiting classes but end up out of the top 25. How many others can you think of?

Yeah. I would imagine if you only took the top 10, it might be different.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only ones stirring the pot are the ones continuing to crap on our new HC and his efforts to rid the malaise that had settled over the program.

Which would be...nobody. Lots of tilting at windmills here, and I don't get why. We're all behind the new coach. Of course we all want him to succeed. Some are wildly enthusiastic, and some are cautiously optimistic, and some are somewhere in between. What is the problem?

herb

Helluva Engineer
Which would be...nobody. Lots of tilting at windmills here, and I don't get why. We're all behind the new coach. Of course we all want him to succeed. Some are wildly enthusiastic, and some are cautiously optimistic, and some are somewhere in between. What is the problem?

Apparently you can only be supportive if you also hate Paul and hate running the football and hate the option.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It seems to be about 15 out of the top 25 have a top 25 roster, so 60%. I used the Football Outsiders F/+ Rankings to even out schedule and bias and I used the 247 Team Talent Composite for roster talent. The 10 teams that have top 25 talent that missed the top 25 rankings include USC, Florida State, Tennessee, Miami, Stanford, UCLA, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Maryland, and Oregon (Stanford barely missed it at #27 on F/+).

Top 25 in Recruiting and Rankings:
Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, Washington, Michigan, Florida, Mississippi State, Penn State, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Texas.

Top 25 in Rankings Only:
Central Florida (56th in recruiting), Fresno State (83), Missouri (42), Utah (44), Utah State (103), Iowa (43), Appalachian State (110), Boise State (58), West Virginia (38), and Washington State (57).

For reference, GT's roster last year was considered to be 50th.

herb

Helluva Engineer

Amen

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Not gonna name names but that's blatantly false. It's a small number but there are definitely a few, active Swarm posters who are very contrarian to almost every bit of positivity from Coach Collins.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It seems to be about 15 out of the top 25 have a top 25 roster, so 60%. I used the Football Outsiders F/+ Rankings to even out schedule and bias and I used the 247 Team Talent Composite for roster talent. The 10 teams that have top 25 talent that missed the top 25 rankings include USC, Florida State, Tennessee, Miami, Stanford, UCLA, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Maryland, and Oregon (Stanford barely missed it at #27 on F/+).

Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, Washington, Michigan, Florida, Mississippi State, Penn State, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Texas.

Top 25 in Rankings Only:
Central Florida (56th in recruiting), Fresno State (83), Missouri (42), Utah (44), Utah State (103), Iowa (43), Appalachian State (110), Boise State (58), West Virginia (38), and Washington State (57).

Something that strikes me about these rankings is that most of the teams listed under "Top 25 in Recruiting and Rankings" are regularly in the top 25, but most of the ones listed under "Top 25 in Rankings Only" pop up into the top 25 very rarely. I think the correlation is fairly strong in general. Most of the ones in the top 25 in recruiting only will be back soon, in all probability. And most of the ones that were "Top 25 in Rankings Only" probably won't be. That kind of overachievement is rarely sustainable. But there will be exceptions every year, to be sure.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My criteria extends beyond onfield record. Furthermore, the onfield record component doesn’t focus on mean record/winning percentage. I’m ok with ups and downs as long as the highs include division and conference championships and major bowls.

Off the field we cannot regress in APR, grad rate, philanthropy and citizenship.
No looking back allowed or this will decend into a Gailey fest.

Great response !!
So u want more than finishing ranked in top 20.
I am easy - top 20 at end of year ranking after uga and a likely good bowl would also likely include a division championship.

Many would say adding more metrics is raising the bar, but I am glad to have them listed.
If ok I will add a couple like getting slaughterd by Clemson or uga and beating these factories.

Next, we need a time frame for these goals to be reached.

Rather than start with what results we need to be considered bad or average , I suggest we define what is good and when and frequency we expect it.

Lets leave this philanthropic/ citizenship out as it's hard for to measure. I am satisfied with recent team activity even though I dont like Coach yelling at players on national TV or players getting kicked out of school for drug use. These are pretty incidental & in general our team (top to bottom) has an exemplary reputation.
I may add some pet peeves I have like constantly having informed errors in same area.

I think u will be surprised at how close we all are on these metrics in years 3 & up+.

Got to watch second half of Pats/kc game.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Reading some of y’all argue on every thread is so exhausting lol

By all means, keep it going. I’ll add my 2 cents to keep things rolling..

CPJ WAS THE GREATEST COACH SINCE THE LAST GREAT TECH COACH. COLLINS IS ALL HYPE! LETS SEE HIM WIN 11 GAMES AND BEAT uga 3 TIMES!

CPJ WAS OLD AND OFFENSE SUCKED. COLLINS HAS JUICE AND A COMPLETE TURNAROUND FROM CPJ. CANT WAIT TO SEE A REAL DEFENSE! WAFFLE HOUSE!

slugboy

Staff member

Top 25 in Rankings Only:

So, 60/40, where most of the top 25 recruits in the top 25. Good research.