So how do people feel about Brent Key and Geoff Collins-

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We also get to find out how good of a recruiter Key actually is. If you'll notice, Alabama has three of the top five recruiters in the country...I mean sheesh, not wonder they're so good (tic).

Don't get me wrong...I'm excited about the shift towards young recruiting hungry coaches...but could it be that these guys are so great because they're recruiting for Alabama?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As long as we have the resources to pursue these players, I'm all for it. I would much prefer - as I'm sure our coaches would - that the players we have the best shot at getting to Tech would get most of the attention and resources. Problem = finding out who those players are is something we'll have to wait on an improved recruiting infrastructure to deliver. Remember, Paul's staff offered players like this every year. It doesn't cost much to make contact and send a letter. The followup is what's important. And that is also the difficult part when resources are limited; you don't want to pursue players who aren't likely to give you a hearing.

Still, I don't blame Key one bit for giving this the old college try. We got JT by persistently recruiting him after he committed to Bama; we offered what he wanted. Maybe one of these players will have the same turn of mind if it looks like Satan won't give him a shot at playing where he wants to.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Could be that these guys are so great because they're recruiting for Alabama, right?
Yep. It isn't that great a challenge to recruit for a program that can get just about anybody into school and has won multiple recent MNCs. I think we'll soon see if Key is as good a recruiter as everybody seems to think. Hope he is.

Animal02

Banned
We also get to find out how good of a recruiter Key actually is. If you'll notice, Alabama has three of the top five recruiters in the country...I mean sheesh, not wonder they're so good (tic).

Don't get me wrong...I'm excited about the shift towards young recruiting hungry coaches...but could it be that these guys are so great because they're recruiting for Alabama?
Are they the best recruiters or is it being at Alabama made them the best recruiters?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Happy with both happy with the whole staff ( and still like CPJ )

But I have a question and I know some will take it the wrong way . What happens if we spend time and money recruiting these 4 and 5 star players and we don't get them to commit. At what period do you drop back and start recruiting the 2 and 3 star players before it too late ? Could that scenario at some point be a problem ? I hope Key can get 5 or 6 OL in 2020 because we will be short after this year.

Animal02

Banned

But I have a question and I know some will take it the wrong way . What happens if we spend time and money recruiting these 4 and 5 star players and we don't get them to commit. At what period do you drop back and start recruiting the 2 and 3 star players before it too late ? Could that scenario at some point be a problem ? I hope Key can get 5 or 6 OL in 2020 because we will be short after this year.
Or they commit.....and then don't "play school" and end up ineligible?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Don't see it as an issue. We aren't going to stop offering 3 star players to start with. They will still make up a big portion of our classes. Even if we missed on a bunch of 4 stars in the early signing period one year, there would be tons of 3's left.

Milwaukee

Banned
Lol. The staff is smart enough to recruit. They will not rely on just their primary targets as they will have backup offers ready in a blink. Do yall think these guys don't know how to do their job or do you just not understand anything about recruiting?

Also, we will have players be ineligible every year just like Paul did and just like every school in the country does. This isn't groundbreaking or even remotely difficult to understand.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Don't see it as an issue. We aren't going to stop offering 3 star players to start with. They will still make up a big portion of our classes. Even if we missed on a bunch of 4 stars in the early signing period one year, there would be tons of 3's left.
Ok lets good at it this way , you have 6 scholarships for the OL . you offer 10 3 star players and 5 4 star players , before the early signing day 5 of the 3 star players commit and 1 4 star commits . Now the last week 3 more 4 star players want to commit , now what do you do like Alabama or like Tech has in the past.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wait and see.

There are a ton of overly optimistic people on this board right now. The things that cause recruits to select factories are still true today....academics, "the ratio", entrance requirements, narrowness of curriculum....so until I actually see the remarkable improvement many seem to expect, I will hold my opinions.I hope it happens, I will be rooting for it...but I will not be surprised if GT remains...GT.

herb

Helluva Engineer
o9rGWqP.jpg

The Marquis of Queensbury rules will be observed on all occasions. Now shake hands and come out fighting

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Ok lets good at it this way , you have 6 scholarships for the OL . you offer 10 3 star players and 5 4 star players , before the early signing day 5 of the 3 star players commit and 1 4 star commits . Now the last week 3 more 4 star players want to commit , now what do you do like Alabama or like Tech has in the past.

I dunno how each specific situation will play out, but a lot of times, if a lower ranked player sees that a higher ranked player has committed at his position, he will end up flipping on his own. These things tend to work themselves out and our staff is very experienced in these areas.

Animal02

Banned
I dunno how each specific situation will play out, but a lot of times, if a lower ranked player sees that a higher ranked player has committed at his position, he will end up flipping on his own. These things tend to work themselves out and our staff is very experienced in these areas.
Not what he was asking........the question is do you pull the offer from the lower commits because a higher level recruit wants to commit.......i.e. be like Bama......or do you honor the commits.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious on how the new titles of the coach staff over-lap seemingly at some places.Key as OL coach still has to coordinate with OFfense coach.Who has say on certain decisions?