So how do people feel about Brent Key and Geoff Collins-

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure. And even he recruited better than we’ve generally seen under the last 2 coaches.
Lewis did recruit the skill positions pretty well with number of good gets, but let's not go overboard. His line recruits on both side of the ball weren't the best. Even on the skill positions, while he got some high profile players, he didn't get enough of them. Bottom line, his recruiting wasn't much different from the rest of the coaches since Dodd.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
A friend who is a Florida alumnus and Gator backer from way back told me at church yesterday that on one of the UF sites there was a poll as to who got the best coach this go around on the coaching roulette and the overwhelming consensus was our very own Coach Collins. Make of that what you will but they swear by him. Good enough for me.
I know alot of gator fans who are also GT fans

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This one by several posters who have said we must accept losing seasons until he get all his own recruits. :rolleyes:
If he isnt playing his players 2022 he is not recruiting and folks will be noisy. 2019 he is honoring all scholarships
2020 he has new freshmen
2021 he has new freshmen and sophomore.
2022 he has new freshmen sophomores and juniors.
He claims to be able to recruit w the best.
2021 end of year we need to see progress and 2022 the progress must be obvious.

And yes player devlopment, game planning , and in game coaching are important.
I expect to see a lot more gt players out running , out muscling the acc teams .

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Lewis did recruit the skill positions pretty well with number of good gets, but let's not go overboard. His line recruits on both side of the ball weren't the best. Even on the skill positions, while he got some high profile players, he didn't get enough of them. Bottom line, his recruiting wasn't much different from the rest of the coaches since Dodd.

You can’t lump all of our coaches since Dodd in the same category. O’Leary, Ross and Curry for example all did better than the previous coach. Johnson was a poor recruiter by our own standards.

This argument is meaningless. Collins will get us back to where we should be. Im really not worried about that.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So I haven't bothered to reply to this thread up to this point because there seemed no purpose. Seeing that everyone else is chiming in, I figured I may as well toss in my two cents...
Let me preface by saying that I love watching option football and was in absolute nirvana watching my favorite team play my favorite style of football. I am still in a bit of mourning.
That being said, we are about to witness one of the great football experiments of our lifetimes. We have seen over the past few years that "Physical superiority cancels all theories" and that "Jimmys and Joes can trump Xs and Os". Now we are going from a coach who specialized in the Xs and Os to one who (seems at present)specializes in the Jimmys and Joes. Now we get to see the relative value of Jimmys and Joes vs. Xs and Os in a highly controlled environment. The school hasn't changed. The entrance requirements haven't changed. The limited majors haven't changed. The only real changes are the people doing the recruiting and coaching.
If we come out in a couple of years and set the world on fire then we will know Jimmys and Joes are much more important. If (heaven forbid) we fall off a cliff, then we will know that the scheme really makes a large difference. If (as I expect to happen), we do about the same, then we know that it doesn't matter which one you are good at, but you have to be good at one or the other.
In an interesting corollary, one of the debates I have seen over the years is whether or not schools "recruit themselves" i.e. how big of a difference do the recruiters make vs. how much of recruiting is simply the school itself. The next couple of years will provide an interesting insight into that question.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So I haven't bothered to reply to this thread up to this point because there seemed no purpose. Seeing that everyone else is chiming in, I figured I may as well toss in my two cents...
Let me preface by saying that I love watching option football and was in absolute nirvana watching my favorite team play my favorite style of football. I am still in a bit of mourning.
That being said, we are about to witness one of the great football experiments of our lifetimes. We have seen over the past few years that "Physical superiority cancels all theories" and that "Jimmys and Joes can trump Xs and Os". Now we are going from a coach who specialized in the Xs and Os to one who (seems at present)specializes in the Jimmys and Joes. Now we get to see the relative value of Jimmys and Joes vs. Xs and Os in a highly controlled environment. The school hasn't changed. The entrance requirements haven't changed. The limited majors haven't changed. The only real changes are the people doing the recruiting and coaching.
If we come out in a couple of years and set the world on fire then we will know Jimmys and Joes are much more important. If (heaven forbid) we fall off a cliff, then we will know that the scheme really makes a large difference. If (as I expect to happen), we do about the same, then we know that it doesn't matter which one you are good at, but you have to be good at one or the other.
In an interesting corollary, one of the debates I have seen over the years is whether or not schools "recruit themselves" i.e. how big of a difference do the recruiters make vs. how much of recruiting is simply the school itself. The next couple of years will provide an interesting insight into that question.
I couldn't agree more.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree 100%! I loved the option and was an avid CPJ fan. It appears to me that we are moving in a totally different direction and I think it is a good idea. If we flame out so be it. To improve significantly we must change how we are doing things. One other phase that I look forward to see change is fan attendance and participation. I think CGC will motivate the fan base also. That will be a critical part of our improvement!

Animal02

Banned
I agree 100%! I loved the option and was an avid CPJ fan. It appears to me that we are moving in a totally different direction and I think it is a good idea. If we flame out so be it. To improve significantly we must change how we are doing things. One other phase that I look forward to see change is fan attendance and participation. I think CGC will motivate the fan base also. That will be a critical part of our improvement!
Have to disagree a several points....."If we flame out so be" being the first.....to me that is totally unacceptable. To significantly change for the most part simply required spending in the range that we wish to compete......spending at the bottom of the ACC and that is about where you can expect to end up, spend at the top and compete at the top.
As for "motivating the fan base" I ssem to recall similar things being said about the BB coach.....and from what I recently read, the stands were half red for Louisville. Winning is what will motivate fans to attend....not the other way around.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Have to disagree a several points....."If we flame out so be" being the first.....to me that is totally unacceptable. To significantly change for the most part simply required spending in the range that we wish to compete......spending at the bottom of the ACC and that is about where you can expect to end up, spend at the top and compete at the top.
As for "motivating the fan base" I ssem to recall similar things being said about the BB coach.....and from what I recently read, the stands were half red for Louisville. Winning is what will motivate fans to attend....not the other way around.
:confused:o_O

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I took it slightly differently. We have decided to up our game from a $$ and hype standpoint. If Collins flames out we will still have changed the perception of the program and how we intend to operate. The next coach would start from a new baseline. I also think there is a huge difference at Tech between football and basketball. I think fans care much more about football in general and will show up to see what we have. Certainly you have to win to keep the momentum. In basketball I think you have to win before people will show up. We’re really not a basketball school and it’s easier for fans just to ignore when things aren’t going well.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have a mutual hate lol.

Formerly "GTjay"

Yep. It really depends on who you talk to. With Gator fans, more times than not, it is a generational thing. The older crowd hate Georgia with a passion stemming from the days of "Fourth and Dumb", the one week at number one and losing to UGA, the Dooley domination etc. The young fans are more obsessed with FSU. They despise what they consider to be an inferior program both athletically and academically, the years of futility against Bowden during the late 1990s, the Choke at Doake, the Swindle at the Swamp and various other heartbreaks. In some ways, they are about as despondent as we can be at times. Hopefully, those days are about to be put in the rear view mirror for good.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I started this fire, and have sat back and watched it consume a 12 page forest. I think a lot of those responding just read the title and not the message with it. That's fine.

One factor that no one talks about that is not constant is the growth of the Atlanta metro area in the last 20 years and the explosion of football talent in that time. There is a possibility for us to start a situation like Da U had for awhile (and still has to some extent) where the talent coming out of the ATL sees us as The Team of the City. Then that becomes a situation where the city recruits for the team. I sense that Collins has the same designs, and is playing up the 404 and other Atlanta connections. The hoops team had a similar energy under Cremins for a decade.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We’re really not a basketball school.....

I remember plenty of years when the consensus thought after a couple of football losses was to just wait for basketball season. The later 80s and 90s were pretty good for basketball at GT. I don't think basketball expectations lowered too much until the Hewit years after the championship game.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I remember plenty of years when the consensus thought after a couple of football losses was to just wait for basketball season. The later 80s and 90s were pretty good for basketball at GT. I don't think basketball expectations lowered too much until the Hewit years after the championship game.
My perspective comes from growing up and living in NC. Duke or UNC fans would trade basketball wins for football losses in their rivalry every day. Tech fans would MUCH rather beat ugag in football vs basketball given an option.