So how do people feel about Brent Key and Geoff Collins-

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You mean like what is currently going on at FSU and Miami? That is very close to an "absolute disaster" maybe not on the scale that Louisville was this year but you saw what happened to Coach Petrino. Karma can be a demanding taskmaster.
Not sure I would include Miami 8-5 9-4 10-3 and last year 7-6 . yes 7-6 after a 10-3 would be a disappointment. But Miami is a place that 4 or 5 years is all anyone gets

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I would include Miami 8-5 9-4 10-3 and last year 7-6 . yes 7-6 after a 10-3 would be a disappointment. But Miami is a place that 4 or 5 years is all anyone gets

Miami did not like Coach Shannon, did not like Coach Golden, ditto for the Reverend. No matter who the coach is or what the style is, they don't like it and go after the next shiny thing. Manny better start updating his resume and plan on making a quick exit in about 3 years or so.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I will be shocked if we win more than 7 but that is just me. Your explanations regarding the defense are informative and interesting. I don't think we have the personnel to run a true press coverage on the corners but maybe that is because we haven't tried. Let's give it a try and see.

I’m not saying we can’t run press cover. I just don’t know any teams doing it with a 3-3-5. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done I just haven’t seen it and I’m not knowledgeable enough to know why 3-3-5 teams tend not to.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
[
Several years? He won’t get several years. Expectations are blowing up and a most of it is his doing. He won’t get several years.
THANK YOU - perhaps he is willing to take that chance of being very pro ga tech football could come back to hurt him.
Your observation that he is doing that to himself means he is delusional, a liar , or a damn good coach.
It don't matter what "athlon" thinks......if he craps the bed or can't deliver (see our current basketball coach) after all the hype......he will be gone in less than 5

Under not situation am i willing to have crap years after year 1.
That includes crap basics like continuously blitzing 2 lb in the same not open gap as the same time!

I am glad to see that you and cheese are willing to give the guy a few years.
You mentioned deliver by 5 and he said several - so i am thinking we agree on 4.

A metric i am stuck on is ACC wins.
We must start beating these guys asap so we can keep improving our recruiting against them.

Going forward the acc win record of the last 4 years can not be considered acceptable. In last 4 years we won 14 of 32 games (1,4,4,5 = 14).
5 years ago we game the whole staff a raise and just 2 years ago we gave coast an extension. That was based on doing better than 14 of 32.

Yes, we are starting over with a new staff and a new offense and some will say its unfair to expect the better results in that time period.
I say we hired the guy with better results in mind. He knew it when he took the job.
So: 16 wins is what i expect in the next 32 ACC (Clemson is a bixxx for a while) games.
BUT at the end of the period i am expecting to see a believable plan to go higher = 20 + wins in the next 4 year.

Ideally it would be a progression from 3,3, 4,6 then 5, 6, 7 , 7.
ADD 3 wins over crappy teams and we are doing pretty damn good.

With this 16 wins in 4 years i am ok , but not very happy.

If after 4 years we don't see a clear path to 5/6 ACC wins for the near future then its time to find a stronger horse.

GOT TO AIM HIGH after 4 years. THWG time.

I hope we are close to agreement on this metric ( and yes we need to go to bowl games and yes win division but this level of acc wins will take care of everything).
please review and consider it for future referece.

as i understand it the beers on gt swarms account names whisky === :beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
[

THANK YOU - perhaps he is willing to take that chance of being very pro ga tech football could come back to hurt him.
Your observation that he is doing that to himself means he is delusional, a liar , or a damn good coach.

That includes crap basics like continuously blitzing 2 lb in the same not open gap as the same time!

You mentioned deliver by 5 and he said several - so i am thinking we agree on 4.

We must start beating these guys asap so we can keep improving our recruiting against them.

Going forward the acc win record of the last 4 years can not be considered acceptable. In last 4 years we won 14 of 32 games (1,4,4,5 = 14).
5 years ago we game the whole staff a raise and just 2 years ago we gave coast an extension. That was based on doing better than 14 of 32.

Yes, we are starting over with a new staff and a new offense and some will say its unfair to expect the better results in that time period.
I say we hired the guy with better results in mind. He knew it when he took the job.
So: 16 wins is what i expect in the next 32 ACC (Clemson is a bixxx for a while) games.
BUT at the end of the period i am expecting to see a believable plan to go higher = 20 + wins in the next 4 year.

If after 4 years we don't see a clear path to 5/6 ACC wins for the near future then its time to find a stronger horse.

I hope we are close to agreement on this metric ( and yes we need to go to bowl games and yes win division but this level of acc wins will take care of everything).

as i understand it the beers on gt swarms account names whisky === :beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers:

This level of success would please dang near everyone. But. Few teams play that well consistently year to year. A down season here and there are likely. If you fire every coach who fails to meet the mark, despite showing ability to get there fairly regularly, you likely create a revolving door. Probably leading to even more instability and.....”mediocrity.”

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Great post. I agree. Something I'll add in regards to the comparisons to Dabo: one of the knocks on Dabo was that he was never considered a good football coach. Most would point out early that he was pure salesman and didn't have much of an X's and O's mind at all, suggesting this was the element holding him back (before the program took off). I feel so many think the same about Collins, and that without the insane program support that Clemson possesses that he'll fail.

But I think many of us forget (myself included) that Collins was a three time finalist for the Broyles award. The guy was a superb football coach who was long considered one of the best defensive coordinators in the game before becoming Temple's head coach. Remember how thankful we were to hear he wouldn't be coaching the 2014 Orange Bowl? Heck, you can call it sucking up, but Thacker said he was straight up the best DC in college football. Collins knows the X's and O's in addition to being a great motivator. That adds a decent bit more to my belief that he'll be successful, but I'm not blind to the fact that there are real obstacles he has to overcome to get there.

A friend who is a Florida alumnus and Gator backer from way back told me at church yesterday that on one of the UF sites there was a poll as to who got the best coach this go around on the coaching roulette and the overwhelming consensus was our very own Coach Collins. Make of that what you will but they swear by him. Good enough for me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
[

My metric is not as precise but just for starters in year one and two: Beat Duke just about every time. Win at least 2 of the BIG FIVE: Virginia Tech, Miami, UGA, Clemson, and Virginia. Slap Pitt and UNC around like a red haired step child. Go to a bowl.
THEN: Beginning in year 3 and following: Beat Duke, Pitt and UNC, Win at least 3 or 4 of the BIG FIVE, Win the Coastal, Challenge Clemson for ACC supremacy and start going to a major bowl. See? I can be a reasonable man.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This level of success would please dang near everyone. But. Few teams play that well consistently year to year. A down season here and there are likely. If you fire every coach who fails to meet the mark, despite showing ability to get there fairly regularly, you likely create a revolving door. Probably leading to even more instability and.....”mediocrity.”
Sorry, it we are not headed up or he is out after 4 years. They are making good coaches every day.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Stansbury will likely stand by him but the fickle fan base won’t. Not after generating these expectations.

You say that like it's a bad thing. What exactly are these expectations that he generated and what should he have done differently to prevent that from happening? It's like people are upset that the program actually has energy and excitement again, pretty weird.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You say that like it's a bad thing. What exactly are these expectations that he generated and what should he have done differently to prevent that from happening? It's like people are upset that the program actually has energy and excitement again, pretty weird.
Not a bad thing but he now has to deliver.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I guess he was just supposed to mope around and shrug his shoulders and say "Hey, we will just wait and see".

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not a bad thing but he now has to deliver.

I mean, that goes without saying and is true for literally any coach at any program. CPJ, had he stayed, was going to have to deliver next year to keep his job, as well. If we hadn't come back to win 7 games, his retirement decision likely would have been made for him.

What's the point in bringing it up so much? Some of ya'll are acting like Coach Collins is on the hot seat before he has coached a game.

Last edited:

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The following IMO is germane to the tenor of this specific discussion, and the board in general:

IMO the dumbest posts right now are those calling out the "skeptics", "doubters", "CPJers", etc.

First, if you despise "the negative energy", why add to it and propagate it by making such posts? Why not let folks quietly have their own opinions and just go about your own way being happy and optimistic? The people you are addressing are relatively few so why cram up the board with such drivel?

For the record I am optimistic, and I also feel T. Stan gave Collins 7 years for the reason he stated: If we are going to build a contender here it's going to take some time to get from A to B. I suppose I might also be a CPJer because I like going to Orange Bowls. It doesn't detract from CPJ for me to say the program can improve. IMO, the timing is right: AD is getting out of debt, we have a solid director in T. Stan who 'gets it', ACC Network tap is about to begin flowing, facilities are being updated, Adidas, etc.

I am hoping Collins really truly embraces the GT mission/total person concept and puts down roots here. His salesmanship is not an act, it's who he is. He is pathologically positive, effusive, and fun loving. I also valued CPJ's straight shooting, running a clean program (few off the field and major academic issues), and he was well-liked by his players. It doesn't have to be either/or. CPJ stepped down, so even if one doesn't like him/the offense you can like him because he made it so we don't have to pay him (unlike say, Paul Hewitt).

If someone chimes in and says "lets wait and see how Collins does on the field" that really shouldn't piss anyone off. People said the same stuff about Dabo and now he is one of the most respected coaches in the game. BUT Dabo had to earn that. Collins will have his chance, and I'm excited to see him do it. Early returns are good in that he is attracting some really good assistants.

Just my two cents and people have the right to post however they like. It's just gotten for me to where 'ignore' is gettin' ready to come out again.
Great post Insidelb. I would also add I liked beating UGA between the hedges

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
A friend who is a Florida alumnus and Gator backer from way back told me at church yesterday that on one of the UF sites there was a poll as to who got the best coach this go around on the coaching roulette and the overwhelming consensus was our very own Coach Collins. Make of that what you will but they swear by him. Good enough for me.
You can tell Geoff Collins is a good coach when SEC fans are impressed with his hire by Georgia Tech

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I mean, that goes without saying and is true for literally any coach at any program. CPJ, had he stayed, was going to have to deliver next year to keep his job, as well. If we hadn't come back to win 7 games, his retirement decision likely would have been made for him.

What's the point in bringing it up so much? Some of ya'll are acting like Coach Collins is on the hot seat before he has coached a game.

That’s not the point. The point is that high expectations not met create greater angst than bad results following low expectations to begin with. It’s not a hit on CGC, it’s just a statement of fact.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That’s not the point. The point is that high expectations not met create greater angst than bad results following low expectations to begin with. It’s not a hit on CGC, it’s just a statement of fact.

What new coach doesn’t have high expectation put upon him? If the AD, fans and team don’t have that then there is something seriously wrong with the hire.