So... can we raise money like this????

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I trust them, too. I believe they both want it to work and are sincerely committed to the effort. It's tough road. I plan on making an extra effort this year to be at every home game knowing that butts in the seats are especially needed if things start off not looking good.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
You may not (or perhaps you did) see my earlier post about my observations of the make-up of my daughter's graduating class in 2016. "The Patels" is not a slight but it is an indication of another hurdle GT has to overcome in amassing a support system to help with our funding problem.

I just went back and read it. Again, I see your point, but we're not going to bring uninterested students into the fold by generalizing them and referring to them all as "The Patels."

And to answer your question, 10% of undergrads are international students. So it's not as high a number as you expect. Most of those Patels you saw were born in America.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
And as a last challenge to this stereotype, I'd like to point out that the article on FTRS "Applying the Stanford Model," which has a lot of discussion on this forum, was written by a student named Akshay Easwaran.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is important to the OP's question:

upload_2019-7-3_7-45-27.png

That's Clemson's direct spending on football, which isn't the same as the funds they've raised. But I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that there's a correlation between the two. They're going to spend as much on their A1 priority (Football) as they can. I know that IPTAY has existed a long time, but the big boost in spending and, I would surmise, fundraising happened over the past 5-6 years. Which also went hand-in-hand with Clemson winning big on the national stage. Clemson doesn't have a huge alumni base, relative to the big State Universities out there. Their numbers are similar to Tech.

So, I don't think we should be discouraged that we're 'too far behind'. There are large untapped GT Alum bank accounts just waiting to be plundered by CGC and TStan. I'm not a big money donor (not yet at least), but I've been asked for and given more in the last 18 months than the prior 8 (slight exaggeration, but there's a definite uptick in fundraising efforts under TStan). The Athletics Initiative alone has raised $72 million in 18 months.

Looking at some of the info on IPTAY, I don't think it's impossible for Tech to reach a somewhat similar level of ongoing fundraising in 5-6 years, with:
1. Continued effective messaging and marketing to a broad base of alumni actively soliciting support. (GTAA/AA lists combined, if true, are a boon for this)
2. Show improvement and progress towards excellence on the football field and basketball court.
3. Show an appreciation of value and commitment to athletics from the Institute as a whole.
4. Leverage opportunities to engage current students, the geographically dispersed alumni and "sidewalk fans".
5. Many other large and small things I'm not thinking of...​

"Founded in 1934, the name was a testament to the simple vow that "I Pay Ten A Year" to support Clemson football. Today, the acronym remains to honor the organization's history, but all of its 17,000 members give much more than $10 per year... Half of the members donated at least $1,600 last year, according to the organization's annual review."
"In 2018, it raised $38.2 million in its annual fund, $15.1 million in major gifts, including cash, real estate and securities, $5.1 million in planned gifts and endowments and $6.6 million in premium seating and suites"
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...y-athletics-fundraising-arms-race/1445681001/

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 6025

That's Clemson's direct spending on football, which isn't the same as the funds they've raised. But I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that there's a correlation between the two. They're going to spend as much on their A1 priority (Football) as they can. I know that IPTAY has existed a long time, but the big boost in spending and, I would surmise, fundraising happened over the past 5-6 years. Which also went hand-in-hand with Clemson winning big on the national stage. Clemson doesn't have a huge alumni base, relative to the big State Universities out there. Their numbers are similar to Tech.

So, I don't think we should be discouraged that we're 'too far behind'. There are large untapped GT Alum bank accounts just waiting to be plundered by CGC and TStan. I'm not a big money donor (not yet at least), but I've been asked for and given more in the last 18 months than the prior 8 (slight exaggeration, but there's a definite uptick in fundraising efforts under TStan). The Athletics Initiative alone has raised $72 million in 18 months.

Looking at some of the info on IPTAY, I don't think it's impossible for Tech to reach a somewhat similar level of ongoing fundraising in 5-6 years, with:
1. Continued effective messaging and marketing to a broad base of alumni actively soliciting support. (GTAA/AA lists combined, if true, are a boon for this)
2. Show improvement and progress towards excellence on the football field and basketball court.
3. Show an appreciation of value and commitment to athletics from the Institute as a whole.
4. Leverage opportunities to engage current students, the geographically dispersed alumni and "sidewalk fans".

"Founded in 1934, the name was a testament to the simple vow that "I Pay Ten A Year" to support Clemson football. Today, the acronym remains to honor the organization's history, but all of its 17,000 members give much more than $10 per year... Half of the members donated at least $1,600 last year, according to the organization's annual review."
"In 2018, it raised $38.2 million in its annual fund, $15.1 million in major gifts, including cash, real estate and securities, $5.1 million in planned gifts and endowments and $6.6 million in premium seating and suites"
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...y-athletics-fundraising-arms-race/1445681001/

Thank you for this information!

I believe we have the money out there. But Tech grads by nature are let's say, conservative with their money. Rightfully so! But... aren't we supposed to be rambling and GAMBLING? Well we need to pony up and "GAMBLE" on our Yellow Jacket football team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 6025

True, it somewhat tracks the arrival of DRad, but it takes off with the NC appearances. What is overwhelmingly evident at Clemson, however, is that Swinney is the coach they want, and the AD and administration through the president are fully committed, or per the Swinney mantra, "All In". So on the other end, the increase in applications track heavily to out-of-state students, and now they are talking real money.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I just went back and read it. Again, I see your point, but we're not going to bring uninterested students into the fold by generalizing them and referring to them all as "The Patels."

And to answer your question, 10% of undergrads are international students. So it's not as high a number as you expect. Most of those Patels you saw were born in America.
To end my participation in this side conversation, our relatively small overall alumni population is further diminished by graduates who are perhaps one generation removed from the cultural experiences that the rest of us were immersed in throughout our lives. We all know some. And I meant nothing degrading about my comments as much as your perception may not have gleaned.

Happy 4th to you.

Deleted member 2897

To end my participation in this side conversation, our relatively small overall alumni population is further diminished by graduates who are perhaps one generation removed from the cultural experiences that the rest of us were immersed in throughout our lives. We all know some. And I meant nothing degrading about my comments as much as your perception may not have gleaned.

Happy 4th to you.

When we toured Clemson for my daughter, they had 15-20 tour guides. Not 1 of them was a STEM major. That matters too and is part of what you are getting at.

Deleted member 2897

View attachment 6025

I gave twice as much money this year (nearly 3x) what I gave last year, and I still dropped several hundred spots in the points rankings. I think our fundraising is doing a lot better.