So... can we raise money like this????

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Remember I'm married my wife took my wallet 46 years ago, she said it would keep me from losing it. I guess I could ask her for it but then I would have to talk to her.

Why would I remember that? Remember, I didn't know anything about you until the past 5 minutes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This discussion reminds me for the gajillionth time that Tech culture is not like any other.

Clemson is to be congratulated for putting in a strategic fund raising plan and going all in on promoting it. But in my experience the typical Clemson fan is different than the typical Tech fan.

This may sound elitist but I don't mean it that way. Tech fans rarely have entire rooms in their house painted in school colors or an entire room devoted just to sports memorabilia. Tech fans may go to Hilton head but that is not their only annual trip. Tech fans may be in a sports booster group but they also sit on company boards, work with town planners, volunteer with local schools and nonprofit groups, and have a very rich and full life beyond sports.

This is not nay saying either. We can do more and should. But the options for spending your money in Clemson are limited compared to the options in Atlanta. That is the challenge.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This discussion reminds me for the gajillionth time that Tech culture is not like any other.

Clemson is to be congratulated for putting in a strategic fund raising plan and going all in on promoting it. But in my experience the typical Clemson fan is different than the typical Tech fan.

This may sound elitist but I don't mean it that way. Tech fans rarely have entire rooms in their house painted in school colors or an entire room devoted just to sports memorabilia. Tech fans may go to Hilton head but that is not their only annual trip. Tech fans may be in a sports booster group but they also sit on company boards, work with town planners, volunteer with local schools and nonprofit groups, and have a very rich and full life beyond sports.

This is not nay saying either. We can do more and should. But the options for spending your money in Clemson are limited compared to the options in Atlanta. That is the challenge.

This feels like you're potentially pigeonholing where Clemson grads end up after graduation and how much wealth/economic impact they create. I'd be wary of making such assumptions.

Regarding your thoughts on "other options", that's fine, but if people are busy pursuing "other options" and can't do something within their means for the GTAA, they don't really deserve a seat at the complaint table when the time comes to ***** & moan about wins & losses.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why would I remember that? Remember, I didn't know anything about you until the past 5 minutes.
Just a little history of myself

I love two things Tech and Beer , I started at an early age drinking
th

Started getting season ticket season in 1981 , wife hates football so I thought it was a great way to get away for 5 to 6 hours.

in order to have someone to talk to that would understand me I would drink with my dog. Not the it matters but his name is Frodo.

th

been married to a sweet lady for 46 years

th

I do find it best to hide from her time to time
th

But the fact is graduated from Southern Tech but still donate to Georgia Tech each year since 1981 and wish more would I'm old running out of time ans would like to see one more year like 1990.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just a little history of myself

I love two things Tech and Beer , I started at an early age drinking
th

Started getting season ticket season in 1981 , wife hates football so I thought it was a great way to get away for 5 to 6 hours.

in order to have someone to talk to that would understand me I would drink with my dog. Not the it matters but his name is Frodo.

th

been married to a sweet lady for 46 years

th

I do find it best to hide from her time to time
th

But the fact is graduated from Southern Tech but still donate to Georgia Tech each year since 1981 and wish more would I'm old running out of time ans would like to see one more year like 1990.

Yes, but you're DOING SOMETHING and I thank you for it! Like you said, we need more people to do anything at all. Whatever's within their means to do so.

Also, thank you for the personal history lesson.

My tickets don't require a fee sitting in 101, well they didn't use to. I think it is small now. About $25 now.

I think if everyone gave 5 dollars a month it would raise some serious money. They could easily do a give away. 5, 10, 15 dollars a month club can win a day on the flats with coach, waffle house gift cards, GT swag only given to players and staff. That would draw some serious attention I believe.
Remember the original meaning of Clemson's IPTAY was I Pay Ten A Year, and that goes back at least till the 50s, probably earlier. If Tech had had something like that in place for the past 60 years, we would probably be running over with money now too.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Remember the original meaning of Clemson's IPTAY was I Pay Ten A Year, and that goes back at least till the 50s, probably earlier. If Tech had had something like that in place for the past 60 years, we would probably be running over with money now too.

1930s, according to this...
https://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/IPTAY

We used to encourage Athletic giving via a young alumni program that built up to a regular annual gift of $125, but LazyAD really threw A/T Fund to the side for TECH Fund... because he was lazy.

1930s, according to this...
https://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/IPTAY

We used to encourage Athletic giving via a young alumni program that built up to a regular annual gift of $125, but LazyAD really threw A/T Fund to the side for TECH Fund... because he was lazy.
I figured it went back further than the 50s, but I didn't know. Which one of many lazy ADs is the one you call LazyAD?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What we are forgetting is it's your every day fans donating to the Clemson boosters. We don't really have that here

I am familiar with the Alabama program and the money just pours in. Local Red Elephant Clubs, TD clubs, etc ... organize, organize, organize to raise money. FSU generates more money from the Seminole Club than ticket sales.

Why Tech doesn’t have a National Yellow Jacket Club to raise money is a huge missed opportunity.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
After listening to the Toddcast last night and reading this thread today, it is obviously clear that the "got out of Tech" mentality; ie elitist mindset, is hurtful to athletics. It is why my sister who graduated with honors from Tech will never give 1 cent to the school. While she could easily donate at a mid-tier level, she states that Tech got enough of her money while she was there. She attended on HOPE and some student loans, BUT it is the Tech degree that she earned that has opened the doors of the corporate HQ she now works at.

Lets also keep in mind that undergrad attendance has only very recently reached 20K. Most of the state schools we play against are around 35K, the ACC private schools not withstanding. Even all the flunkies that went to the big state schools, will still buy tickets and brag how they went to that school. We also have a much higher international undergrad student body whom are not raised in the religion that is college football in the south. We also attract the students who can list a higher percentage of the elements in the periodic table of elements than FBS football teams and mascots.

We have been behind the 8ball for a long time now. But it seems the team of Stansbury/Collins has put some english on the queball and it's about to get interesting. Fortner appears to be of the same mindset, or Stansbury wouldn't have hired her. Paster must either become sold-out (not convinced he is but, we will see) or he will be gone when the GTAA is financially able to move on.

I fully believe that a "Coaches Caravan" type event of traveling the state and getting the fans together to form the fan clubs for towns/areas, will jump start earning sidewalk fans. I'd hate to have to organize it and work it out, but there are GT fans all over, even here in south Georgia. We just got to get them all on the same page.

I never attended Tech. I worked several basketball for Coach Hewitt. I bleed White and Gold. First year season ticket holder. THWg!

After listening to the Toddcast last night and reading this thread today, it is obviously clear that the "got out of Tech" mentality; ie elitist mindset, is hurtful to athletics. It is why my sister who graduated with honors from Tech will never give 1 cent to the school. While she could easily donate at a mid-tier level, she states that Tech got enough of her money while she was there. She attended on HOPE and some student loans, BUT it is the Tech degree that she earned that has opened the doors of the corporate HQ she now works at.

Lets also keep in mind that undergrad attendance has only very recently reached 20K. Most of the state schools we play against are around 35K, the ACC private schools not withstanding. Even all the flunkies that went to the big state schools, will still buy tickets and brag how they went to that school. We also have a much higher international undergrad student body whom are not raised in the religion that is college football in the south. We also attract the students who can list a higher percentage of the elements in the periodic table of elements than FBS football teams and mascots.

We have been behind the 8ball for a long time now. But it seems the team of Stansbury/Collins has put some english on the queball and it's about to get interesting. Fortner appears to be of the same mindset, or Stansbury wouldn't have hired her. Paster must either become sold-out (not convinced he is but, we will see) or he will be gone when the GTAA is financially able to move on.

I fully believe that a "Coaches Caravan" type event of traveling the state and getting the fans together to form the fan clubs for towns/areas, will jump start earning sidewalk fans. I'd hate to have to organize it and work it out, but there are GT fans all over, even here in south Georgia. We just got to get them all on the same page.

I never attended Tech. I worked several basketball for Coach Hewitt. I bleed White and Gold. First year season ticket holder. THWg!
I totally disagree that "got out of Tech" is an elitist mentality. Hell, even the athletes often say that once they get out. Just because it is a distinctive phrase does not make it elitist, although it IS a badge of honor which should be embraced by all.

I DO, however, agree with you about the coaches caravan. We used to have them, and, even in Augusta (SOLD mutt country), there was a large attendance, as there had been in the past when individual coaches appeared here for gatherings. That is a major way to make Tech known in the "hinterlands".

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
My tickets don't require a fee sitting in 101, well they didn't use to. I think it is small now. About $25 now.

I think if everyone gave 5 dollars a month it would raise some serious money. They could easily do a give away. 5, 10, 15 dollars a month club can win a day on the flats with coach, waffle house gift cards, GT swag only given to players and staff. That would draw some serious attention I believe.
Been saying this for years, plus F'EM (5 each month) is a very Tech sentiment