So... can we raise money like this????

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Are we over 20K now? The last numbers I saw (2016-17) had us under 15K.

My fault on the numbers, I was thinking we were at 20K, but it is small. And then take into account our alumni which I'm not sure where to get numbers.

We do have more postgraduates that all the other schools combined, but by grad school, a persons loyality to a school/team are cemented before they step foot on campus.

Undergrad Numbers for Fall 2018:
Georgia Tech 16K+
Georgia 29k+
Georgia State 44k+
Georgia Southern 23K+
Kennesaw St 32K+

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
I understand everyone’s opinions and agree with most of them to a point.

@TheSilasSonRising @dtm1997 @Supersizethatorder-mutt and others in this thread have completely valid points. I was not trying to dissuade engagement, ie IPTAY like efforts, but we need the whole strategy.

1) GT athletics needs massive cash infusions for about 10 years if not more. $75M/year, maybe more.
* From where we are now we need a large number of really large donations each year. These typically come from the extremely successful who have either made a bunch over a very long time or are quick hitters. Something like a combination of one $10-25M, 5-10 each $5M, and then 20-25 each $1M type of campaign. Every single year.
* Some in this category of people don’t want to give to athletics & prefer research but we should ply them for $50-100K and/or get it written into their wills.
* Need to re-engage the mid-career people. They’re busy with families, business, community work, etc. Net worth as been established on here is in the $2-5M range. Getting them to open up for $10-25K gets them in the giving spirit so when the move up to the big donations they already have a history of giving. Maybe we can only get them to pony up $1k but it’s better than nothing.
* Then the newbies. Just getting started out. Buying new cars, here comes the baby, I want to take a trip to Europe or I’m not funding my 401k enough crowd. Not rich, not poor, but have all kinds of reason to not donate. Get them donating now & 30 years later they’re donating at a much higher level.
* Somehow we need to convince our millionaires that $50/month is not going to kill them & if that’s too much they need to quit complaining about GT sports.

2) GT athletics needs to work on its culture.
* We like being nerds but we do it in a way that pisses people off. There are people that don’t splice genes, split atoms or design rockets that are not dumb. They run successful companies, are community leaders, etc & they didn’t graduate from GT. There’s only one place I can think of where the gene pool is substantially defective, but those people deliver our pizzas, clean our restrooms and take out our trash. They do have some value & we should pity them.
* Our last regime & diehard supporters allegedly ran off the stars from the previous regime and made them feel unwelcome. It soured a large portion of our fanbase apparently. Now we have some doing the same thing. It’s not good for GT athletics. It’s GT athletics and the fanbase needs to get along & stop warring with each other. I do not see this at any other school quite frankly.

3) Maybe we can make student athlete’s lives easier rather than harder. New President needs to get the academic staff in line. GT’s precious reputation is not going to be soiled if the kicker gets a waiver to take biology instead of physics. If classes are not offered at reasonable times, then accommodations need to be made. There’s roughly 1800 academics on staff and another 6000 administrative. Someone should be able to figure out how to have a class at 0800 instead of 1800 or have more than one.

We didn’t get here in 1 day & frankly we won’t get out of it in 1 day either. Even if someone dumped $500M on us tomorrow we wouldn’t have the infrastructure to deploy it properly because all our people know how to do is make do with little or nothing.

I hope our President and AD have a lot of talent & have a vision/strategy to rebuild our programs. What other choice do we have?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This feels like you're potentially pigeonholing where Clemson grads end up after graduation and how much wealth/economic impact they create. I'd be wary of making such assumptions.

Regarding your thoughts on "other options", that's fine, but if people are busy pursuing "other options" and can't do something within their means for the GTAA, they don't really deserve a seat at the complaint table when the time comes to ***** & moan about wins & losses.
Oh, I agree.

Just anecdotal evidence from fans I know. Many of the Tech fans I know will watch the team that is having a good year but otherwise focus on other things. The Clemson fans I know make it a central part of their life.

The thing about IPTAY that some of you seem to be missing is that it is not an alumni fund. IPTAY members have historically come from the farms and backwoods of upstate SC, most of whom never went to college at all. That's also where Georgia gets a large part of its support, although even the cesspool never organized it like Clemson always has. If Tech had had an IPTAY-like group beginning in the 30s and had maintained it after the glory years of the 50s, we would be in great shape financially now. It's a shame that farmers had more foresight than engineers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am familiar with the Alabama program and the money just pours in. Local Red Elephant Clubs, TD clubs, etc ... organize, organize, organize to raise money. FSU generates more money from the Seminole Club than ticket sales.

Why Tech doesn’t have a National Yellow Jacket Club to raise money is a huge missed opportunity.
Would be nice if the alumni association and gtaa worked closer raiseing funds .

The big AA fund raise is highlited at home coming football weekend. They will be hitting my 50th reunion class up at a big party in the south end zone banquet room lights will be on at bds. Sure seems like AA could grant at least limited use of the master gt alumni list. Perhaps the gtaa coild use as a way to at least give out info.

Still give a small gift to AA. i have for 50 years , but now its much smaller and only so i can say i have always donated.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This discussion reminds me for the gajillionth time that Tech culture is not like any other.

Clemson is to be congratulated for putting in a strategic fund raising plan and going all in on promoting it. But in my experience the typical Clemson fan is different than the typical Tech fan.

This may sound elitist but I don't mean it that way. Tech fans rarely have entire rooms in their house painted in school colors or an entire room devoted just to sports memorabilia. Tech fans may go to Hilton head but that is not their only annual trip. Tech fans may be in a sports booster group but they also sit on company boards, work with town planners, volunteer with local schools and nonprofit groups, and have a very rich and full life beyond sports.

This is not nay saying either. We can do more and should. But the options for spending your money in Clemson are limited compared to the options in Atlanta. That is the challenge.

"Culture" ain't got a thing to do with it.

Time we get over ourselves and do the right thing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The thing about IPTAY that some of you seem to be missing is that it is not an alumni fund. IPTAY members have historically come from the farms and backwoods of upstate SC, most of whom never went to college at all. That's also where Georgia gets a large part of its support, although even the cesspool never organized it like Clemson always has. If Tech had had an IPTAY-like group beginning in the 30s and had maintained it after the glory years of the 50s, we would be in great shape financially now. It's a shame that farmers had more foresight than engineers.
By definition Farmers are business people.

Engineers are good employees.

I wonder how many gt guys start commercial businesses or break away from engineering.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Would be nice if the alumni association and gtaa worked closer raiseing funds .

The big AA fund raise is highlited at home coming football weekend. They will be hitting my 50th reunion class up at a big party in the south end zone banquet room lights will be on at bds. Sure seems like AA could grant at least limited use of the master gt alumni list. Perhaps the gtaa coild use as a way to at least give out info.

Still give a small gift to AA. i have for 50 years , but now its much smaller and only so i can say i have always donated.

Excellent post.

What pisses me off is the Alum Assn. thinks, when things are going good at the GTAA, that it is ok to piggyback off that success.

But God forbid they should support the GTAA. Even to the point of supporting taxpayer cheating profs feeling the right to degrade our S/As for simply being in their class.

Scumbags should be dragged down Peachtree behind a garbage truck whilst naked.

By definition Farmers are business people.

Engineers are good employees.

I wonder how many gt guys start commercial businesses or break away from engineering.
By "farmers", I meant and all-inclusive group of non-graduates of Clemson; some are farmers, some are gofers, some are private business owners, most are just good-old-boys, and I am not taking anything away from any of them. They LOVE the Clemson Tigers and they give what they can to support them. In other words they are LOYAL fans. Tech just doesn't have that many such people as fans anymore, although we sure did until the late 50s or mid 60s. The BIG mistake Tech made was not embracing those fans and encouraging them to give, even giving them some kind of reward for their support, no matter how limited. Unfortunately, Tech, and especially the "eilite" from Atlanta looked down on such fans and pretty much ignored them. Until the late 50s, and maybe until Dodd stupidly pulled us out of the SEC, Tech was one of the biggest draws in the south, and known and respected nation-wide. In spite of some equivalent success on the field, including against the Jackets, Georgia NEVER had that kind of reputation or draw until Tech left the SEC and Georgia hired Dooley. Let's face it: Dodd and ADx both before and after him totally blew it. Thank God for TStan. I just hope it's not too late.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We also need a lot of folks to step up for $10, $100, or $1000 a year also. Every dollar matters and everyone should be doing whatever they can.

Also, getting someone to donate $10 a month, or even $10 a year gets them somewhat invested in the program.

They changed the First and Ten program with the Yellow Jacket Club program. It is important for the program in twenty years to get the current students involved with the GTAA. If they understand the advantages of having extra priority points, and the ease of accumulating extra points now, then in twenty years when they are in their forties and have more money there is a better chance that they will still be attending games and donating money.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lots of possible solutions offered on this thread. But, one more time, why is it so hard for Tech to raise money for its athletics?

I would be curious what other major universities or big time football programs have these kinds of discussions. Year after year after year.

Lots of possible solutions offered on this thread. But, one more time, why is it so hard for Tech to raise money for its athletics?

I would be curious what other major universities or big time football programs have these kinds of discussions. Year after year after year.
Well, part of the reason is because until now Tech apparently never really tried.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I live in clemson country. I can't tell you how many cars have the IPTAY stickers. Stands for I pay 10 a year. You no longer need a 10K donation to get the sticker but the fans love to flex that they donate.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Rhetorical question here, NE Stinger...What are the shear numbers of graduates who actually grew up in the American culture where football, basketball, baseball, etc meant something. While waiting for my daughter's 2016 graduation ceremony to begin, I was reading the roster of graduates. Dare I say that Patel was the predominate last name of everyone receiving a diploma that session? And the names in some fancy computer-related Masters and PHD programs? Hah!!

As far as the funding necessary to make GT somewhat respectable and relevant....Atlas is indeed shrugging.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree completely, but if that worked we would of kept up with other teams. We will see if this new regime gets wallets to open up.

But my idea is literally giving very little back. I'm talking like a 50 dollar waffle house gift card. Maybe 25. Hopefully you'll have over 2,000 people sign up for $5 a month, which is 10k. You could even do $100, $50, $25. You pay $175 to receive $9825. I'm sure they would take that any day. Heck I'd sign up. That's less than half a netflix subscription. I'd sign up for $10 a month. To give myself another ticket in the drawing.
I know diddly about raising money but it reading the entries hereabout is interesting, the big vs. little donations debate particularly. It might be instructive, however, to keep in mind that while drooling over Clemson's splashy digs and financial support backed by the booster group IPTAY, that the acronym is for "I Pay Ten Dollars A Year". From such modest beginnings such things grew.