Sneak Peak

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just want to say that the Russell stuff we had was very high quality. I still have some of my stuff (and wear it) from 15 years ago. It was definitely as high a quality (and maybe better sometimes) as the other big 3 (certainly not anywhere near "walmart" level). I bought a pair of Russell athletic shorts from a local sporting goods store last month and they are the best pair of shorts I've ever had. Just trying to be fair here.
Also, Russell is a good company founded by a GT grad, I believe. the reason we went with Russell for so long was simply because they gave us the best deal (because of the GT connection), not because our leaders were just idiots or something. I suppose the leadership decided that due to perception (not logic or anything measurable) the trade-off for how it affected recruiting and branding was worth going with a different company from this point forward. I don't know if that was a right or wrong decision. I'm fine with it and am good with Adidas, but there's no reason to crap on Russell unfairly.

BTW, I'm not trying to direct this at you UgaBlows. I'm addressing a common perception among our fanbase and the public in general.

Fake News!!:p
Russell was crap quality! How would you know otherwise? Just because you bought a fake jersey off eBay! :ROFLMAO:

Perceptions are what they are. I think the big missing component recently with Russell had more to do with lack of swag rather than lack of quality. But if you removed the labels and patches I bet most wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in quality between brands.

Russell brand perceptions were bad with recruits though and we have enough hurdles to jump in that department without adding any more.

Seems like the new contract focuses much more on swag than dollars for the school. Probably a net plus.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Whiskey_Clear makes a good point @vamosjackets , deeply embedded within his gruff delivery. It's not a question of quality, per se. It's a question of perception. Like it or not, RA is considered cheap, low level gear although the actual quality of the clothing is fine. In fact, some is actually really nice. Unfortunately, perception becomes more important than reality in this silly game of staking success (even partially) on the decisions of teenagers (i.e. recruits).

Lastly, I always thought RA was started by an AUB guy. They were certainly more aligned with AUB before Bowden switched from them all those years ago.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My question: are the kind of kids we will be targeting from now on: high academics first and foremost with high interest in education and career outside/after football, really give a rats arse about who makes our uni's?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My question: are the kind of kids we will be targeting from now on: high academics first and foremost with high interest in education and career outside/after football, really give a rats arse about who makes our uni's?

What they will care about is the same as players in other programs. Free stuff. Matters to our guys and I can’t say I blame them much.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Pic of the Polos in the bookstore. Not sure if this is Tech Gold
A1A9CF37-F587-4B08-9E8F-BEB2ED7C709A.jpeg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have spoken to a couple s a that would like more stuff. I would hope they would value giving away some of the stuff

Imo Its kind of viewed as an above and beyond thing you do in highly competitive business.

We paid well but still had nice christmas party for whole staff.

I agree with overall point - not really a deal maker.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pic of the Polos in the bookstore. Not sure if this is Tech Gold
View attachment 3282

I am hoping that the photo did not accurately display the gold, OR even better, this was before the new gold was agreed upon. This "appears" to be dingy brown - almost khaki.

The gold color on the basketball in the background is better. Please don't let this be right.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
If they do have 1 shade, tech should have a '50 shades of gold' campaign once the color is officially rolled out. Trade in an 'old gold' shirt for the new shade! Would help with consistency across the fanbase and get folks more excited, one would think.

Also should add, my cheap self just wants some new, free Adidas tech swag.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If they do have 1 shade, tech should have a '50 shades of gold' campaign once the color is officially rolled out. Trade in an 'old gold' shirt for the new shade! Would help with consistency across the fanbase and get folks more excited, one would think.

Also should add, my cheap self just wants some new, free Adidas tech swag.

...that's a fantastic idea, and i love the branding of it, too. (will not happen, too good)