Sneak Peak

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you seriously complaining about mannequins? Russell is poison for recruiting, no 18 year old kid wants to see that walmart crap.

To have our first “Sneak Peek” of Adidas unis appearing on those skinny almost-female-looking mannequins is a laughable embarrassment. Damn right that’s worth complaining about

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
This was a horrible execution for even a sneak peek. Not the jerseys but the reveal, the mannequin, the lack of fanfare. Tech is just way behind the times on marketing and has that awful engineer thought process that a superior product will sell itself. Any excuse you have to make something hit the headlines or get views on social media you should go all out on, even something as small as a first draft of uniforms. That's how you gain exposure. Make a countdown, throw up a billboard, get one of the many aspiring filmmakers in Atlanta to make a badass video and flood social media with it. Throw a party with free swag to get students there. Then repeat x10 for the actual reveal. Tweak the stuff that didn't work and you get twice the material for the media to talk about. Clemson literally got days worth of national headlines for having a pizza party, we could at least have used this for some articles in the local papers...

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
The new gold is already in the bookstore in the form of some Adidas Polos. The BN employees comfirmed that was "the" shade we've chosen.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Are you seriously complaining about mannequins? Russell is poison for recruiting, no 18 year old kid wants to see that walmart crap.
Just want to say that the Russell stuff we had was very high quality. I still have some of my stuff (and wear it) from 15 years ago. It was definitely as high a quality (and maybe better sometimes) as the other big 3 (certainly not anywhere near "walmart" level). I bought a pair of Russell athletic shorts from a local sporting goods store last month and they are the best pair of shorts I've ever had. Just trying to be fair here.
Also, Russell is a good company founded by a GT grad, I believe. the reason we went with Russell for so long was simply because they gave us the best deal (because of the GT connection), not because our leaders were just idiots or something. I suppose the leadership decided that due to perception (not logic or anything measurable) the trade-off for how it affected recruiting and branding was worth going with a different company from this point forward. I don't know if that was a right or wrong decision. I'm fine with it and am good with Adidas, but there's no reason to crap on Russell unfairly.

BTW, I'm not trying to direct this at you UgaBlows. I'm addressing a common perception among our fanbase and the public in general.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Just want to say that the Russell stuff we had was very high quality. I still have some of my stuff (and wear it) from 15 years ago. It was definitely as high a quality (and maybe better sometimes) as the other big 3 (certainly not anywhere near "walmart" level). I bought a pair of Russell athletic shorts from a local sporting goods store last month and they are the best pair of shorts I've ever had. Just trying to be fair here.
Also, Russell is a good company founded by a GT grad, I believe. the reason we went with Russell for so long was simply because they gave us the best deal (because of the GT connection), not because our leaders were just idiots or something. I suppose the leadership decided that due to perception (not logic or anything measurable) the trade-off for how it affected recruiting and branding was worth going with a different company from this point forward. I don't know if that was a right or wrong decision. I'm fine with it and am good with Adidas, but there's no reason to crap on Russell unfairly.

BTW, I'm not trying to direct this at you UgaBlows. I'm addressing a common perception among our fanbase and the public in general.

There’s also the fact that Russell was slowly pulling out of the team outfitting game entirely, and only stuck around through the end of our contract. Even if we had wanted to continue with them I don’t believe that would have changed their decision. And honestly, I bet they had more negative PR from it anyway. It’s not really a good thing for a company to have your name/product widely treated as a joke.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

As I recall, the GTAA was in desperate straits re finances and Russell came through with a large cash infusion when Tech needed it most.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Agreed. This upgrade in the workout gear that Russell has been putting out may be due to a narrowed focus since they're getting out of team uniforms. I got some Russell workout clothes from Wal-Mart recently, too, and they're better than the Nike and UA stuff I have.

That said, the "R" was killing us with high school kids. And if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, that matters more, no matter what any of us think.