Sims=Bilbo

Jmonty71

Banned
I think Sims has some raw tools. I also think that P'naude does not put him in position to succeed. I think Sims feels like he has to carry the team. That forces errors, that could / should be avoided. With that said. I would like to see plays that allow our play makers to be one on one. We need to understand we cannot simply just force our will on other teams. We don't have the size, strength, nor speed (at least on the Oline). We should get Sims throwing slants and screens. Having him drop back and surveying the field doesn't work. He doesn't have the time necessary to accomplish this. I thought we were a RPO offense? Anyone seen much RPO? We simply don't pressure defenses, right now. Just my opinion. This isn't a Sims issue, it's a crappy play calling issue.

slugboy

Staff member
OK, first Bilbo did his best here, and came in with a lot of raw talent. Chan Gailey (2002) was the HC and had a reputation as a QB cultivator along the lines of Cutcliffe. Bill O'Brien was the OC in 2001 and 2002, and had the Fridge pedigree. Bilbo should have had enough coaching on how to read defenses, throwing mechanics, etc. He should have had all the coaching options you could want. He had great receivers, and the line and skill positions from the O'Leary era.

Keep in mind that those two coaches also got AJ Suggs as a transfer from Tennessee. They didn't accomplish anything with either QB. Bilbo's OC and QB coach went on to be HC at Penn State and the Houston Texans (and Alabama this year), as well as OC at the NE Patriots.

The one year you can really use for a passer rating is 2002, where he had a passer rating of 104.2 and 3 TDs to 5 INTs

After 2002, we'd moved him out to WR.

Pass
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2001Georgia TechACCFRQB1010.000.0-45.001-200.0
*2002Georgia TechACCFRQB8296743.34877.34.835104.2
*2003Georgia TechACCSOWR5
*2004Georgia TechACCJRWR1131225.0292.42.40045.3
*2005Georgia TechACCSRWR1211100.03333.033.000377.2
CareerGeorgia Tech338140.75496.84.23695.1

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/10/2021.

Here is Jeff Sims:

Pass
2020Georgia TechACCFRQB1014125754.918817.36.11313122.9
2021Georgia TechACCFRQB4497962.078910.09.264160.9
CareerGeorgia Tech19033656.526707.96.81917131.8

Sims has a much better NCAA passer rating (it's 160 for this season). His completion percentage is nearly 20 points higher (62% vs 43%).

Generated 10/10/2021.

Here are Yates and Sims from this year (Sims is higher rated, with more pluses {tds} outweighing the minuses {ints}), but they're both solid QBs and we're lucky to have both of them:

Pass
RkPlayerGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1Jordan Yates4528065.06137.78.950150.0
2Jeff Sims4497962.078910.09.264160.9

Generated 10/10/2021.

Here are Bilbo and Suggs from 2002
Pass
1A.J. Suggs1320836357.322426.25.01215111.8
2Damarius Bilbo8296743.34877.34.835104.2
3Jonathan Smith121250.0126.06.000100.4
4Ajenavi Eziemefe911100.033.03.000125.2

Generated 10/10/2021.

What I pull out of the comparison is
  1. Sims has a lot of upside but could use some solid coaching on mechanics and reads
  2. He has a history of letting his talent overcome some other issues, and at the P5 level he needs to move his fundamentals up to meet the rest of what he can do.
  3. Gailey and O'Brien didn't do anything with the QBs they had to train. Our current and much maligned OC has been doing more with his QBs than O'Brien and Gailey did with theirs running the Friedgen offense. (we had Gailey keep O'Brien so that we wouldn't lose our great offense. It declined a ton)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It seems you are the one having trouble with reality, and it's a really odd hill to want to die on. The facts are out there for everyone to see. He has the same eligibility as a freshman, but he is not a freshman.
Not sure why you have difficulty understanding the reality of the situation, but here you go. Straight from the Georgia Tech website. I'm pretty sure, they're the ultimate decider in whther Sims is a freshman or sophomore.

1633889861657.png

I'll even add a link to make it easy for you. https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/roster/

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why you have difficulty understanding the reality of the situation, but here you go. Straight from the Georgia Tech website. I'm pretty sure, they're the ultimate decider in whther Sims is a freshman or sophomore.

View attachment 11407

I'll even add a link to make it easy for you. https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/roster/
If you are not going to accept the reality that Jeff Sims has been in the program and played for two seasons now, there is no point trying to discuss anything with you. Yell "He's just a freshmen" as much as you want. Everyone knows you are delusional.

Sophmores make mistakes too, aka sophmore slump. You don't have to keep putting on that clown makeup and act like he just showed up, we all know how long he's been here.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
How does a steady hand win the game easily if you can't rely on the running game at all? Because we couldn't with Sims and there is no way you believe Yates improves our running game. As far as the turnovers go, Duke got 0 points off them so you're saying you think just with a steady hand we score more than 31 yesterday with Yates? What is winning the game easily to you? 17 points? You expected Yates to lead us to 45?
It probably depends on what is meant by 'steady hand.' After we went up by 14 Sims was 5-18 for 99 yards 1TD and 2INT (if my math is right). You can throw up all kinds of explanations or excuses for it but that's bad. He was great at the beginning and at the end but ice cold for a lot of the game. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that someone with some more consistent play could have kept our offense on the field longer to build a cushion or keep Duke offense on the sidelines.

Is Yates that guy? Maybe. Does Yates even get us up by 14 to start? I don't know. Does Yates lead that drive at the end? Probably not but maybe he doesn't need to. I'd put myself in Sims corner at this point but he absolutely needs to be more consistent in his play or we're in trouble. I'd bet he knows it and I'd bet the coaches know it too. I don't know why you guys get so upset when someone brings it up.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
It probably depends on what is meant by 'steady hand.' After we went up by 14 Sims was 5-18 for 99 yards 1TD and 2INT (if my math is right). You can throw up all kinds of explanations or excuses for it but that's bad. He was great at the beginning and at the end but ice cold for a lot of the game. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that someone with some more consistent play could have kept our offense on the field longer to build a cushion or keep Duke offense on the sidelines.

Is Yates that guy? Maybe. Does Yates even get us up by 14 to start? I don't know. Does Yates lead that drive at the end? Probably not but maybe he doesn't need to. I'd put myself in Sims corner at this point but he absolutely needs to be more consistent in his play or we're in trouble. I'd bet he knows it and I'd bet the coaches know it too. I don't know why you guys get so upset when someone brings it up.
I remember Fridge pulling Godsey in a several games. Taking a QB or any other player aside to fix an issue or get them ready is reasonable coaching. We have a quality #2, and swapping them in to thaw out a QB or figure out how to get them pointed in the right direction can be good coaching.
Going cold doesn’t make you a bad QB, especially if you’re young. It is something for coaches to manage.

LibertyTurns

Banned
OK, first Bilbo did his best here, and came in with a lot of raw talent. Chan Gailey (2002) was the HC and had a reputation as a QB cultivator along the lines of Cutcliffe. Bill O'Brien was the OC in 2001 and 2002, and had the Fridge pedigree. Bilbo should have had enough coaching on how to read defenses, throwing mechanics, etc. He should have had all the coaching options you could want. He had great receivers, and the line and skill positions from the O'Leary era.

Keep in mind that those two coaches also got AJ Suggs as a transfer from Tennessee. They didn't accomplish anything with either QB. Bilbo's OC and QB coach went on to be HC at Penn State and the Houston Texans (and Alabama this year), as well as OC at the NE Patriots.

The one year you can really use for a passer rating is 2002, where he had a passer rating of 104.2 and 3 TDs to 5 INTs

After 2002, we'd moved him out to WR.

Pass
2001Georgia TechACCFRQB1010.000.0-45.001-200.0
*2002Georgia TechACCFRQB8296743.34877.34.835104.2
*2003Georgia TechACCSOWR5
*2004Georgia TechACCJRWR1131225.0292.42.40045.3
*2005Georgia TechACCSRWR1211100.03333.033.000377.2
CareerGeorgia Tech338140.75496.84.23695.1

Generated 10/10/2021.

Here is Jeff Sims:

Pass
2020Georgia TechACCFRQB1014125754.918817.36.11313122.9
2021Georgia TechACCFRQB4497962.078910.09.264160.9
CareerGeorgia Tech19033656.526707.96.81917131.8

Sims has a much better NCAA passer rating (it's 160 for this season). His completion percentage is nearly 20 points higher (62% vs 43%).

Generated 10/10/2021.

Here are Yates and Sims from this year (Sims is higher rated, with more pluses {tds} outweighing the minuses {ints}), but they're both solid QBs and we're lucky to have both of them:

Pass
1Jordan Yates4528065.06137.78.950150.0
2Jeff Sims4497962.078910.09.264160.9

Generated 10/10/2021.

Here are Bilbo and Suggs from 2002
Pass
1A.J. Suggs1320836357.322426.25.01215111.8
2Damarius Bilbo8296743.34877.34.835104.2
3Jonathan Smith121250.0126.06.000100.4
4Ajenavi Eziemefe911100.033.03.000125.2

Generated 10/10/2021.

What I pull out of the comparison is
  1. Sims has a lot of upside but could use some solid coaching on mechanics and reads
  2. He has a history of letting his talent overcome some other issues, and at the P5 level he needs to move his fundamentals up to meet the rest of what he can do.
  3. Gailey and O'Brien didn't do anything with the QBs they had to train. Our current and much maligned OC has been doing more with his QBs than O'Brien and Gailey did with theirs running the Friedgen offense. (we had Gailey keep O'Brien so that we wouldn't lose our great offense. It declined a ton)
Glad you posted that stats but if you were old enough to follow the team in 2002, you didn’t really need this. There is no comparison between Bilbo & Sims Either via the eyeball test or a stat sheet comparison. People show their youthfulness when they spend a lot of time trying to argue this point. Sims is vastly better than Bilbo.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It probably depends on what is meant by 'steady hand.' After we went up by 14 Sims was 5-18 for 99 yards 1TD and 2INT (if my math is right). You can throw up all kinds of explanations or excuses for it but that's bad.

You're math is wrong. Sims had two TDs after we went up by 14 early and led another drive to a FG. Did you think 14+7= 31?

. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that someone with some more consistent play could have kept our offense on the field longer to build a cushion or keep's Duke offense on the sidelines.

Except Yates is not more consistent or at least not in the way you think. There is more to consistency than simply not turning the ball over.

Against NIU Yates got 7 drives - 3 TDs, 3 punts, and downs. And one of those drives was one that started at the NIU 25.
Against Clemson - 10 drives, 2 field goals. The start to that game was 4 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. People had such low expectations going into that game that any kind of ball movement was seen as wonderful but there wasn't much consistency to our offense. We'd have a good play and do little else on the drive.
Against UNC - 5 drives, 2 FGS, 1 starting on the UNC 10. 4 failed to produce a 1st down.

People have a warped view on what Yates did because of the game against an FCS team and a game with such low expectations that anything would be seen as a success.

What is ridiculous is the claim the insinuation that Yates probably wins that game easily. Other than the first TD to Gibbs I don't see Yates making the plays it took for us to score the other TDs. I don't see him moving the pocket and hitting Carter like Sims did on the second drive, I don't see him hitting McGowan in the endzone the way Sims did for the third TD, and the last drive wasn't happening. Maybe he wins by virtue of the extra possessions if he never turns it over but he certainly doesn't win easy and I doubt we win at all with him if we can't establish a running game to lean on.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 11407

You’re using his eligibility as a replacement for experience. He is a sophomore by experience. Heck even Yates is a Freshman with a RS and a COVID year. But you can’t call him a freshman forever. He has a year+ of experience and was a starter in over 10 games. Call him what you want, but you can’t say he hasn’t touched the ball at all.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love for someone to show us what Yates has done against power 5 competition that they are so convinced that he will run the offense better than Sims. Yates may not turn the ball over as much but he has not shown that he can move the offense either. The Duke game was never going to be a 10-3 type game. We were going to have to score points to win. With our oline woes I think you need a player like Sims back there that can make things happen. With that being said he has things he needs to improve. However he is still a very young player and definitely not a finished product. I think he will continue to improve.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How does a steady hand win the game easily if you can't rely on the running game at all? Because we couldn't with Sims and there is no way you believe Yates improves our running game. As far as the turnovers go, Duke got 0 points off them so you're saying you think just with a steady hand we score more than 31 yesterday with Yates? What is winning the game easily to you? 17 points? You expected Yates to lead us to 45?
I think the game changes when Yates is in. Teams won't defend him the same way because he is a different kind of QB in general. Against Sims everyone is going to stack the box, spy the QB and force him to beat them with his arm on 3rd down. That's why we are 25% on third down conversions in the last three games, against three teams that aren't all that great defensively. Well, that and obvious issues with play calling. Before the final drive, which was a great showing by Sims and Sanders, im not trying to take that away from them, Sims was 8-20, and we had gone 3 and out 3 straight times with the game on the line against a pretty bad team. Without a holding penalty on Duke, that would have been what decided the game in the other direction. Do I think possibly Yates may have gotten a first down and more in one or all of those drives? Yes. Is it possible that Yates could have hit the wide open tight end over the middle and put the game away? Yes. Sims simply wasn't playing well yesterday.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember Fridge pulling Godsey in a several games. Taking a QB or any other player aside to fix an issue or get them ready is reasonable coaching. We have a quality #2, and swapping them in to thaw out a QB or figure out how to get them pointed in the right direction can be good coaching.
Going cold doesn’t make you a bad QB, especially if you’re young. It is something for coaches to manage.

I have thought they'd make a nice pair.

I don't think we have 1 and 2, it's 1A and 1B. Might be a good change up to play them both a bit.