Sims=Bilbo

Towers214

Georgia Tech Fan
Sims is better than Yates. Complain all you want GT loses to UNC without Sims
I disagree, CDP even stated he held back successful plays (that worked) for Sims. Yates walks in on the spread QB draw just like Sims. We don’t win by the same margin but we win.

That said, I want Sims to be successful. But I want an offense that is more balanced and I felt like the Yates offense was more so.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The most egregious was Tevin but the same holds true for most of the QBs in the option who were allowed to skate on being mediocre or worse passers. But Sims went for 360 yards on 70% last week and some posters only wanted to focus on the INTs as if that is all that matters.

And zero TDs. The point about TDs from outside of the 40 goes against you. Sims has big play potential. Yates doesn't. So even if the redzone issues aren't exclusive to Yates, although they are worse with him, it's a bigger deal because of it. Also, no, Yates did not move the ball down the field. He had 5 drives against UNC. 4 went without a first down. There is a reason people focus almost exclusively on turnovers. It's the only area where Yates has any sort of argument. Sims is the better runner and better passer and the idea he hasn't progressed in the last year is a laughably bad take.
I agree that the criticism of Tevin was egregious.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree, CDP even stated he held back successful plays (that worked) for Sims. Yates walks in on the spread QB draw just like Sims. We don’t win by the same margin but we win.

That said, I want Sims to be successful. But I want an offense that is more balanced and I felt like the Yates offense was more so.
I just want to win, balance be damned. Also, how do you think that putting in Yates (who I hold in high esteem, along with Sims) would somehow make our woeful running between the tackles more successful? If anything, Duke would respect Yates' deep ball less than that of Sims, freeing them up to creep up to the line and tee off on our backs even more, making us less balanced.

I'll go with the coach on QB decisions since they see them practice, talk with them, and know them so much better than anyone on here.

Towers214

Georgia Tech Fan
The most egregious was Tevin but the same holds true for most of the QBs in the option who were allowed to skate on being mediocre or worse passers. But Sims went for 360 yards on 70% last week and some posters only wanted to focus on the INTs as if that is all that matters.

And zero TDs. The point about TDs from outside of the 40 goes against you. Sims has big play potential. Yates doesn't. So even if the redzone issues aren't exclusive to Yates, although they are worse with him, it's a bigger deal because of it. Also, no, Yates did not move the ball down the field. He had 5 drives against UNC. 4 went without a first down. There is a reason people focus almost exclusively on turnovers. It's the only area where Yates has any sort of argument. Sims is the better runner and better passer and the idea he hasn't progressed in the last year is a laughably bad take.
Tevin was in a 80% run offense. Are you seriously comparing people giving a pass to a QB in a run first offense to an RPO QB? And when Sims reaches Tevins win total, let me know.

Regardless, I pointed out an area where Sims has grown over last year. And no one on this board has stated he isn’t physically talented. But yes, he is still int prone. And his two big plays were a busted play by Duke defense and a prayer of a heave.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s a sophomore. COVID rules don’t change reality.
Ok, so he is a sophomore with a crappy line. What's your point? That he should be all-world already? Is he not improving as quickly as you would prefer? Tough titty. You have given an example of an area where he has improved. The 2 Pitt interceptions were fluky plays. He is a young, dynamic player. I'm looking forward to watching him develop.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Tevin was in a 80% run offense. Are you seriously comparing people giving a pass to a QB in a run first offense to an RPO QB? And when Sims reaches Tevins win total, let me know.

Regardless, I pointed out an area where Sims has grown over last year. And no one on this board has stated he isn’t physically talented. But yes, he is still int prone. And his two big plays were a busted play by Duke defense and a prayer of a heave.

He had more than those two. Off the top of my head there was the sideline pass to sanders, the seam route to Carter, the post corner to McGowan.

I think the reason Sims is so polarizing is that we see him hit passes like the above while trying to force stuff like the comeback pick. I think if he can settle in and learn to take the sack or get rid of the ball, he can really elevate his game. That is one area I think Yates has him beat.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t realize that sims is better then yates and gives us the better chance to win then I’m sorry that you’re blind. Sims has the threat of the deep ball and run which yates does not. Using Yates limits the offense so much on what they can do play wise based on his physical abilities running the ball on a rpo and straight up run and he also doesn’t posses any where close to the same arm strength. Sims makes teams gameplan for more then they would for yates.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t realize that sims is better then yates and gives us the better chance to win then I’m sorry that you’re blind. Sims has the threat of the deep ball and run which yates does not. Using Yates limits the offense so much on what they can do play wise based on his physical abilities running the ball on a rpo and straight up run and he also doesn’t posses any where close to the same arm strength. Sims makes teams gameplan for more then they would for yates.
Sims will get you far more yards on the ground, and more deep balls. That comes with the price of accuracy issues, turnovers, and inconsistency that may take you out of the game and put more pressure on your defense. Im not all that convinced that we wouldn't have done better today with Yates in there. A steady hand probably wins this game easily. Some other times Sims looks like he is bound for greatness. If he plays like he did today then we will have trouble winning another game this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I like Sims and see his ceiling. He has superstar potential. No one in their right mind can deny that. But his two INTs today were unforced. He stared down a receiver who was standing in place and the DBs read him like a book. And the other INT was because he threw the ball to the wrong side of a contested WR. These aren’t OL issues, but they are correctable and teachable moments. I think Pnode will either make or break Sims’ NFL potential. We will just have to see what becomes of the both of them.
HE IS A FRESHMAN! Freshmen make those kind of mistakes. Hell, seniors make those kind of mistakes.

You know the one thing most freshmen (even RSFreshmen) do? Stare down the receiver. This will change as he develops.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He had more than those two. Off the top of my head there was the sideline pass to sanders, the seam route to Carter, the post corner to McGowan.

I think the reason Sims is so polarizing is that we see him hit passes like the above while trying to force stuff like the comeback pick. I think if he can settle in and learn to take the sack or get rid of the ball, he can really elevate his game. That is one area I think Yates has him beat.
All of the things that bother you about his inconsistency can be summed up very succinctly. Just look at my previous posts on this thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Im not all that convinced that we wouldn't have done better today with Yates in there. A steady hand probably wins this game easily

How does a steady hand win the game easily if you can't rely on the running game at all? Because we couldn't with Sims and there is no way you believe Yates improves our running game. As far as the turnovers go, Duke got 0 points off them so you're saying you think just with a steady hand we score more than 31 yesterday with Yates? What is winning the game easily to you? 17 points? You expected Yates to lead us to 45?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What Sims does is make you defend the entire field.

He can run, so you have to defend outside the tackles, and between the tackles. You have to make a DB or LB account for Sims, so in a way you take one less defender out of 100% focus on every play Sims is in. He's fast enough to run by LBs and DBs, so can absolutely wreck the best defensive call.

Sims can throw to all 3 levels of the field (short, intermediate, deep), and he can do it with ease (see the Adonicas winning TD against Duke). What I liked about that throw was Sims threw Adonicas Sanders open...that is, he threw it where only Sanders could get it, all while a pass rush was barreling down on him.

So far, he's improved his completion % almost 8 points (55% in 2020 to 62.5% this season). Against UNC and Pitt, his completion percentage was OVER 70%.

Sims is growing as a QB before our eyes. The same criticism everyone is giving Sims, I heard the same things about Joe Hamilton early in his career. Right now, Sims is producing at modestly higher pace than what Joe Hamilton did at the same point in their careers.

If you want to worry about something, worry about our OLine and our defense. QB is further down the list of things we need to worry about.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Does Sims make you scratch your head sometimes? Yes Does Yates? Not as much so - but Sims has greatly improved his accuracy and particularly throwing the deep ball that you have to go with him. I actually think he has played well. We moved the ball on Pitt but just didn't do it in the red zone where our play calling has been atrocious. I feel for Yates and it would be interesting to know how we would playing with him rather than Sims. He did some good things when in there. I know people always complain about play calling but I seriously think that has hurt Sims and Yates. The runs up the middle on 3rd down when we are not getting any yards there has to stop. Red zone calls have been so predictable.