Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Then you hire someone else, he ain't that special if he's just working as an analyst the past few years.
That’s just stupid. You hire the best person you think can do the job. If you wait a few weeks during a dead period for recruting so be it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is quite the weird hill to die on and calling people bad fans. And you keep giving examples that are not the same as what is happening here. Georgia and Alabama are not rivals.

And I guess rivals means something different to you. Whenever Georgia is playing, a rival should want them to embarrass themselves. That does not take away from wanting tech to be the best. You don’t have to follow Georgia’s every move to want to fall
Georgia and Alabama are not rivals? Okay lol. Sure.

When did I ever call anybody a bad fan? I said it’s a terrible attitude as a Georgia Tech fan to want UGA to lose more than you want Tech to win. I think there are far too many people with that attitude.

When did I say I didn’t want Georgia to lose, or that I would prefer them to win? I don’t. I was actually sick that they pulled that game out last night. I had to stay up a drink a few beers to settle down some. But that doesn’t mean I would prefer us to not hire Faulkner because he’s working at UGA, or get mad that he’s still employed there. Because the reality is Georgia winning has very little to no impact on Georgia Tech right now. We aren’t fighting for the same recruits, or even the same fans. Maybe if Tech was recruiting in or near the top 35 and coming off a 10-win season it would matter a little more. But as it stands, it just truly doesn’t matter. Our job as fans and as a program, and Faulkner’s job as a coach next year, is to make it matter. Get to a position where we are fighting for recruits, fans, and resources with UGA instead of just being an afterthought.

The weird hill to die on is acting like Faulkner finishing the season with UGA is anything more than an afterthought as we move into the future of our program.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

When did I ever call anybody a bad fan? I said it’s a terrible attitude as a Georgia Tech fan to want UGA to lose more than you want Tech to win. I think there are far too many people with that attitude.

When did I say I didn’t want Georgia to lose, or that I would prefer them to win? I don’t. I was actually sick that they pulled that game out last night. I had to stay up a drink a few beers to settle down some. But that doesn’t mean I would prefer us to not hire Faulkner because he’s working at UGA, or get mad that he’s still employed there. Because the reality is Georgia winning has very little to no impact on Georgia Tech right now. We aren’t fighting for the same recruits, or even the same fans. Maybe if Tech was recruiting in or near the top 35 and coming off a 10-win season it would matter a little more. But as it stands, it just truly doesn’t matter. Our job as fans and as a program, and Faulkner’s job as a coach next year, is to make it matter. Get to a position where we are fighting for recruits, fans, and resources with UGA instead of just being an afterthought.

The weird hill to die on is acting like Faulkner finishing the season with UGA is anything more than an afterthought as we move into the future of our program.
GT has tons of fans with UGA inferior complexes. Really stupid. They are a much better football program than GT and have been for many decades. Not likely to change either.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow

How many times have Georgia played Alabama? Just because they are 2 juggernauts of programs, does not make them rivals.

People have given plenty of good reasons why it would be be beneficial for us to take him off UGA’s staff. That doesn’t mean that it’s not understood why he is saying.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yes we are.

The fact that you think UGA and Bama were rivals in 2015 shows you don't know what you are talking about. They played 3 games total in the 7 years prior. From 1978 to 2015 they played a total of 12 games. 12 games in 37 years is not a rival.
You don’t have to play somebody regularly to be a rival. Texas and Texas A&M haven’t played since 2011, think they aren’t rivals? Clemson and UGA have only played 5 times since 2000, yet they are still rivals.

You’re trying to base an argument on semantics of the definition of “rival.” Georgia and Alabama were and currently are competing for the same recruits, eyeballs, titles, and resources. That makes them rivals. Ask a fan of either team if they are rivals. 100% of them on both sides will tell you yes.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
GT has tons of fans with UGA inferior complexes. Really stupid. They are a much better football program than GT and have been for many decades. Not likely to change either.

I don’t understand how wanting to hurt UGA is inferior complex? Even if Tech was constantly in the playoffs, would we not want to make UGA worse?

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
You don’t have to play somebody regularly to be a rival. Texas and Texas A&M haven’t played since 2011, think they aren’t rivals? Clemson and UGA have only played 5 times since 2000, yet they are still rivals.

You’re trying to base an argument on semantics of the definition of “rival.” Georgia and Alabama were and currently are competing for the same recruits, eyeballs, titles, and resources. That makes them rivals. Ask a fan of either team if they are rivals. 100% of them on both sides will tell you yes.

You’re absolutely right I’m arguing about semantics of rivalries. Because in a true rivalry, normal business practices are thrown out the window

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How many times have Georgia played Alabama? Just because they are 2 juggernauts of programs, does not make them rivals.

People have given plenty of good reasons why it would be be beneficial for us to take him off UGA’s staff. That doesn’t mean that it’s not understood why he is saying.
Ask a fan from either program if they are rivals. They will tell you yes.

Obviously it would be nice if he was already full-time employed by us and not working with UGA anymore. But that’s not the reality of any coach who’s working for a playoff team. If we would’ve hired Todd Monken, Dell McGee, Garrett Riley, Corey Dennis, or literally any other coach from a CFP team we’d be in the same situation. People are just freaking out because it’s UGA, even though their success is irrelevant to us.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand how wanting to hurt UGA is inferior complex? Even if Tech was constantly in the playoffs, would we not want to make UGA worse?
Constant whining about a coach who is going to be our OC staying on as an analyst thru the CFP. Only reason is somehow thinking that makes GT fans feel better. Sure I was hoping OSU would win but I respect Key, Faulkner and Smart for working out how Faulkner’s status would go.

So many fans gripe about players “bailing” on there teams why would then they gripe when a coach doesn’t. If this wasn’t UGA would anyone care, not likely thus the inferiority complex.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Constant whining about a coach who is going to be our OC staying on as an analyst thru the CFP. Only reason is somehow thinking that makes GT fans feel better. Sure I was hoping OSU would win but I respect Key, Faulkner and Smart for working out how Faulkner’s status would go.

So many fans gripe about players “bailing” on there teams why would then they gripe when a coach doesn’t. If this wasn’t UGA would anyone care, not likely thus the inferiority complex.

There’s a difference between whining and talking through a hypothetical situation.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Clemson and UGA are not rivals, lol

You don't go nearly 4 decades barely playing someone and call them a rival. If you asked that question in 2015 I guarantee you plenty of Bama fans would say uga was not a rival. They have played a lot more recently - 5 times in the last 5 years - but I'm sure there are plenty now who would still say they aren't a true rival.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That’s just stupid. You hire the best person you think can do the job. If you wait a few weeks during a dead period for recruting so be it.
Not if the terms they require to accept the offer are unfavorable you don't. If that were true we would be hiring better guys than Buster Faulkner.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Clemson and UGA are not rivals, lol

You don't go nearly 4 decades barely playing someone and call them a rival. If you asked that question in 2015 I guarantee you plenty of Bama fans would say uga was not a rival. They have played a lot more recently - 5 times in the last 5 years - but I'm sure there are plenty now who would still say they aren't a true rival.
Semantics. And missing the overall point entirely

JacketFan137

Banned
I thought Key & company are all in, 24/7 365. Is it supposed to be 9/80, 223 instead or something like that?
he’s coaching football it’s not like he’s golfing. he’s still in the room with a lot of great football minds and hearing a lot of different ideas and giving input as well. he can’t recruit right now anyway so i’ll take him gaining experience in a high stakes environment all day

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You beat me to the punch. I would be interested in what 33 has observed with regards to how and where our recruiting has suffered. He may know of something I’m not aware of.
How about giving me a recap of what he did last week? He was on the sideline for the mutt game which means he spent most if not all of Saturday working for them instead of us. It's pretty clear what's happening here but we're 30 days to signing day and our guy is helping prep our rival to win a national championship for another week. Maybe he's busy picking up some nuggets of gold from the awesome football minds he's hanging around with the next 7 days instead of organizing his staff and working on recruiting targets for GT?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
he’s coaching football it’s not like he’s golfing. he’s still in the room with a lot of great football minds and hearing a lot of different ideas and giving input as well. he can’t recruit right now anyway so i’ll take him gaining experience in a high stakes environment all day
I agree with this. This can only help us more as he gains more and more experience. Georgia Tech could mirror TCU in a couple of years. We're on the right path.