Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This thread is too funny. While his working at ugag is not hurting us that much, it also is not helping us at all. Both can be true. He is not extracting any new kernal of offensive wisdom from Monken. If he has not picked it up by now then the extra time will not help. Nor are we generating positive recruiting buzz by his being in the booth with Monken. No one knows or cares. He certainly does not get as much credit as Monken. No, there is no benefit here to us other than allowing him to fulfill some absurd commitment that not many 'consultants ' would request to fulfill.

I will repeat this. He is a consultant
He us not an assistant. He is not a coordinator. He consults. He may be helping them, but he is not really the person doing much else other than offering some feedback to coaches and players. While this does not hurt us much, let's not pretend that this will be great for us.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
How about giving me a recap of what he did last week? He was on the sideline for the mutt game which means he spent most if not all of Saturday working for them instead of us. It's pretty clear what's happening here but we're 30 days to signing day and our guy is helping prep our rival to win a national championship for another week. Maybe he's busy picking up some nuggets of gold from the awesome football minds he's hanging around with the next 7 days instead of organizing his staff and working on recruiting targets for GT?
I really don’t think being a consultant is a 24 hour per day job. My guess is that he is organizing his staff and working on recruiting targets. I’m nearly 70 and I can Skype and FaceTime ! 😀

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
OCBF is going to walk into recruits' homes wearing that ring, and he's going to tell them how they will be a part of replicating what he did in Athens at Tech.

Kids who don't get offered by the Big Dogs (and some who do) are gonna listen because he's been to the mountain top even if he wasn't driving the bus personally.

You can quibble all day (and night) if you want to about consultant v. assistant v. coordinator. The fact is that he's got bling, and you don't.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
OCBF is going to walk into recruits' homes wearing that ring, and he's going to tell them how they will be a part of replicating what he did in Athens at Tech.

Kids who don't get offered by the Big Dogs (and some who do) are gonna listen because he's been to the mountain top even if he wasn't driving the bus personally.

You can quibble all day (and night) if you want to about consultant v. assistant v. coordinator. The fact is that he's got bling, and you don't.
LOL!

First of all, he supposedly has the ring already. So, his continuing to consult does not change that.

Second, whether you or I have a ring is irrelevant. He is neither coaching nor recruiting against us. He will be against others who got their rings for being an assistant and not a consultant.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I have only one way to judge the situation and that’s that obviously Key feels Faulkner is worth waiting for. These pronouncements about “you don’t hire the guy” are kind of ridiculous because nobody here has any real idea of whether Faulkner’s overall impact for us will be positive enough to overcome the negatives of him not being 100% working for GT yet. And yes, I agree there’s negatives. But again the guys who have the make the decisions think the good outweighs the bad otherwise they wouldn’t have hired him. It really is that simple.

Hey if some disagree and would have made a different decision that’s fine. Everyone is welcome to their opinion and it’s kind of an interesting back and forth here.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I have only one way to judge the situation and that’s that obviously Key feels Faulkner is worth waiting for. These pronouncements about “you don’t hire the guy” are kind of ridiculous because nobody here has any real idea of whether Faulkner’s overall impact for us will be positive enough to overcome the negatives of him not being 100% working for GT yet. And yes, I agree there’s negatives. But again the guys who have the make the decisions think the good outweighs the bad otherwise they wouldn’t have hired him. It really is that simple.

Hey if some disagree and would have made a different decision that’s fine. Everyone is welcome to their opinion and it’s kind of an interesting back and forth here.
I am not that much against it, but I am certainly not for it. I do find the mental gymnastics that some are exercising to justify this by suggesting it is some type of coup for Tech to have him in the booth to be quite funny though.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I am not that much against it, but I am certainly not for it. I do find the mental gymnastics that some are exercising to justify this by suggesting it is some type of coup for Tech to have him in the booth to be quite funny though.
Nobody thinks it a “coup” for him to be there. It’s just not a big deal. Tech isn’t “helping” UGA because Faulkner is still on their staff either, though. It’s literally just a normal process. We hired a coach from a team who’s in the playoff. It doesn’t really matter that it’s UGA or not.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody thinks it a “coup” for him to be there. It’s just not a big deal. Tech isn’t “helping” UGA because Faulkner is still on their staff either, though. It’s literally just a normal process. We hired a coach from a team who’s in the playoff. It doesn’t really matter that it’s UGA or not.
We hired one of their consultants. He is not a coach for them.

And, yes, some fonts are suggesting how great this is for Tech that he continues to consult there. In fact, you do not even have to go more than a page to find an example.

Last edited:

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

And, yes, some fonts are suggesting how great this is for Tech that he continues to consult there.
The title "consultant" is how the rich teams can have 30 coaches when the NCAA limits them to 10. It's similar to how NIL is being used as legal "bag man" money when it's supposed to be for Name, Image and Likeness.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The title "consultant" is how the rich teams can have 30 coaches when the NCAA limits them to 10. It's similar to how NIL is being used as legal "bag man" money when it's supposed to be for Name, Image and Likeness.
I doubt they are bringing in tax accountants to be a consultant. Regardless if he is a former coach or an extra coach, he is not a coach that is an official member of the staff.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

And, yes, some fonts are suggesting how great this is for Tech that he continues to consult there. In fact, you do not even have to go more than a page to find an example.
Georgia’s QB literally raved about Faulkner during his Heisman interviews before he was ever publicly connected to the GT job. He said, “the main thing that he’s helped at is on the sidelines.”

Whether or not his official title is “analyst” or “consultant”, and also whether or not it is against rules and regulations for him to be actively coaching on the sidelines as an “analyst,” he is. By all accounts Buster Faulker is a coach on UGA’s football staff. Even if he’s not, does it matter? He’s a member of their staff for the 2022 season which hasn’t concluded yet. There is no expectation for him to leave his role there before their season is over, regardless of whether or not he’s officially labeled as a “coach.”

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Georgia’s QB literally raved about Faulkner during his Heisman interviews before he was ever publicly connected to the GT job. He said, “the main thing that he’s helped at is on the sidelines.”

Whether or not his official title is “analyst” or “consultant”, and also whether or not it is against rules and regulations for him to be actively coaching on the sidelines as an “analyst,” he is. By all accounts Buster Faulker is a coach on UGA’s football staff. Even if he’s not, does it matter? He’s a member of their staff for the 2022 season which hasn’t concluded yet. There is no expectation for him to leave his role there before their season is over, regardless of whether or not he’s officially labeled as a “coach.”
Except he is not a coach on the team.

I alredy said there is no great harm to us, but there is also no benefit. Everything else you wrote is moot.

By the way, i am curious if you can name one other consultant that was hired onto the staff for another program that continued to work as a consultant at the former program. Sure, coaches on staff have remained, but name a consultant that has.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Its sad to see u wasting time trying make a point

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
engineer_meme.jpg

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I alredy said there is no great harm to us, but there is also no benefit. Everything else you wrote is moot.

By the way, i am curious if you can name one other consultant that was hired onto the staff for another program that continued to work as a consultant at the former program. Sure, coaches on staff have remained, but name a consultant that has.
Lol. It’s like some of y’all don’t even watch or follow college football.
From this article:
Offensive analyst Alex Mortensen is still with the team through the Sugar Bowl after being announced as the new offensive coordinator at UAB.

From this article:
Steve Casula, a senior offensive analyst on Jim Harbaugh’s staff since 2019, has been hired for an on-field coaching role at the University of Massachusetts.
Michigan spokesman Dave Ablauf tells MLive that Casula plans to remain in Ann Arbor through the College Football Playoff, with the Wolverines gearing up to play Georgia in the Orange Bowl on Dec. 31 (7:30 p.m., ESPN).

From this article:
Austin Woods joined the USC staff in January of 2022 as an analyst working with the defense. He is now heading to Incarnate Word with USC graduate assistant Conner McQueen.
Woods and McQueen’s last game with USC will be in the Cotton Bowl versus Tulane.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Lol. It’s like some of y’all don’t even watch or follow college football.
From this article:

From this article:

From this article:
I honestly did not know. Thanks.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

No one knows who most consultants are. Also there are only 4 teams pre year where this is an issue. Odds are some have done this but since it’s not GT or a big deal no one in this board would have a clue.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Whether or not his official title is “analyst” or “consultant”, and also whether or not it is against rules and regulations for him to be actively coaching on the sidelines as an “analyst,” he is. By all accounts Buster Faulker is a coach on UGA’s football staff.
This is the part I am confused about. From what I understand, analysts and consultants are not allowed to coach players on the field. By all accounts (and no one seems to be hiding it) he is coaching on the field during games (Stetson has also said he has helped him outside of the games as well) therefore they would be in violation. Can someone please clarify what I am missing?