Should Hall Return?

Should Hall Return?

• No.

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Yes, with a new pitching coach.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Yes, give him another year.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Yes, give him to the end of the contract (2021).

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Yes, as long as he wants.

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
One of the hardest things to do in this life is knowing when to quit. Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, all needed to go out gracefully long before they did. Their legacy was tarnished in each case (to a much less extent with the Bear but he was a very sick man) . Dodd had the good sense to know when to leave coaching as did Wallace Wade, Daryl Royal, Steve Spurrier, and many others. Is Coach Hall in that category? I do not pretend to know the answer but he really needs to take a good hard look at himself and do what is best for him and Georgia Tech. He has nothing to prove to anyone and can leave on his terms IF he chooses to do so.
The key phrase is "if" he chooses to. If he continues to hang on just for numbers, then he could ruin all the good will he created. If he had won a national championship, yes he could call his time, but he hasn't. So him telling Tech when it's time is not in Tech's best interest. He hasn't earned the right to say when he's ready to leave. This is still a business not a club or good will job he's got. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made and that is why Stans earns the big bucks.

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
One of the other sites is saying a GT coach resigned after the game Thursday. It was vague, but sounded like it might be Prince--the hitting coach who has been at GT for quite a while.
I have heard similarly through informal sources, but until recognized media confirms these rumors as true I will treat them as such.

Has anyone seen or heard anything official? News searches come up empty.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The key phrase is "if" he chooses to. If he continues to hang on just for numbers, then he could ruin all the good will he created. If he had won a national championship, yes he could call his time, but he hasn't. So him telling Tech when it's time is not in Tech's best interest. He hasn't earned the right to say when he's ready to leave. This is still a business not a club or good will job he's got. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made and that is why Stans earns the big bucks.
His goals are to win 1000 games at GT and to coach his two sons, so why would he leave.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think hall should stay. We have the 35th highest winning percentage, which places us at 4th in our division historically. Two teams, Wake Forest and Virginia, have lower all time winning percentages but have WS titles, so in reality, we have the 9th best history in the ACC, with 2 of the top 3 historic programs, FSU and Miami, in our conference. As to not winning our division, I think that's fair considering our previous winningest coach of all time is now coaching at a better program than us, at Miami. Hall may be past his prime, but he's coaching us at a position that is better than what tech has been historically and we should be fine with that. Let him coach out his continue and finish his contract and retire in peace.

I think hall should stay. We have the 35th highest winning percentage, which places us at 4th in our division historically. Two teams, Wake Forest and Virginia, have lower all time winning percentages but have WS titles, so in reality, we have the 9th best history in the ACh 2 of the top 3 historic programs, FSU and Miami, in our conference. As to not winning our division, I think that's fair considering our previous winningest coach of all time is now coaching at a better program than us, at Miami. Hall may be past his prime, but he's coaching us at a position that is better than what tech has been historically and we should be fine with that. Let him coach out his continue and finish his contract and retire in peace.
Historically? Our best days are behind us. At one time we were a top 5 program nationally. That time has gone and unless changes are made they are not coming back. On a side note da u is not a better place to coach. Tech can be a national power again, but Danny isn't take us there. Unlike football, Tech would have some of the best coaches in the country wanting to come here.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Historically? Our best days are behind us. At one time we were a top 5 program nationally. That time has gone and unless changes are made they are not coming back. On a side note da u is not a better place to coach. Tech can be a national power again, but Danny isn't take us there. Unlike football, Tech would have some of the best coaches in the country wanting to come here.
The U has made 44 straight playoffs and had actually won a title. Georgia tech hasn't even made 44 playoffs. Better history, not up for debate. Georgia tech has finished 5th (and 2nd) in the polls before; doesn't mean we were the fifth best team ever. We were ranked at the beinning of the season and injuries suck. 2015 football learned that too. We are in an SEC wear kind of world right now, be happy with success and what our division brings us but as the behemoth that is Miami is there, it'll take luck to break out and win. We made the tournament last year and I belove hall can make it again if the injury bug moves on to take its toll on another team. I love GT but I also love having realistic expectations.

The U has made 44 straight playoffs and had actually won a title. Georgia tech hasn't even made 44 playoffs. Better history, not up for debate. Georgia tech has finished 5th (and 2nd) in the polls before; doesn't mean we were the fifth best team ever. We were ranked at the beinning of the season and injuries suck. 2015 football learned that too. We are in an SEC wear kind of world right now, be happy with success and what our division brings us but as the behemoth that is Miami is there, it'll take luck to break out and win. We made the tournament last year and I belove hall can make it again if the injury bug moves on to take its toll on another team. I love GT but I also love having realistic expectations.
I am not sure why you are comparing Tech with da u? This is about should hall stay or go. This is the same situation when Bobby Cremins was at the end of his run at Tech. Only exception Hall didn't build Tech's baseball program. Morris did. That is why it is easier to say bye to Hall. Spin how you'd like, but the numbers for Hall don't support him staying. This is a what did you do for me today not yesterday. He fails in both categories. His flame outs in the regionals and supers are prime example. Now he is having a hard time making the ACC tourn. Every team has injuries, can't use that excuse for only so long and get away with it.

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
Hall is staying, you are wasting your time.
Care to shed light on this unimpeachable confidence?

With all due respect, this forum is a place for open and respectful comments. I will spend my time however I choose thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
A lot of folks on this thread ok with mediocre baseball. Be careful what you wish for, if you run off the "ranters", you're going to be watching total apathy level, much like happened with basketball. Outside of the blind Hall loyalist faction.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
*tournament* championships. 4 and 6 years ago. 12-18 and 14-16 regular season those 2 years. Bounced outta ncaas immediately both times as well. Last 3 years trend completely going the opposite direction.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought mediocre was making the tournament once every 5 years, a la basketball. The last few years have definitely been down years but the fact of the matter is a five year buyout won't happen. Debate all you want on rather it should happen, but the fact of the matter is we simply don't have the money (cuz it's a sport we already rely on Hope scholarships for funding, if I'm not mistaken. Athletic scholarships take priority #2 behind state funds for obvious financial reasons). Who exactly would we take, and who would want to come to tech knowing they would have a likely smaller contract due to the buyout?