Should Hall Return?

Should Hall Return?

• No.

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Yes, with a new pitching coach.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Yes, give him another year.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Yes, give him to the end of the contract (2021).

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Yes, as long as he wants.

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It's time. This year has been an unmitigated disappointment. The pattern seems pretty clear and it transcends injuries. The stats don't lie and this program is at risk of falling into medicority, assuming it hasn't done so already. CDH has certainly contributed enormously during his tenure, but I fear those days are firmly behind us.

No more CDH event games or CDH swag ... enough already. I say clean house and bring in some fresh, young coaches to reinvigorate a program that consistently outperformed many others. The fact that we no longer generate the same kind of preseason buzz should tell you all you need to know. It would be a shame to see him stick around just to see him break some new coaching records. Put the program first already...

It's time.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Right on man. Nobody was coming to the games this year. His trend has completely zapped the interest and excitement in GT baseball. It used to be a really great and intense crowd.

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
Right on man. Nobody was coming to the games this year. His trend has completely zapped the interest and excitement in GT baseball. It used to be a really great and intense crowd.
Agreed. That is what saddens me greatly. Game days didn't possess the excitement they once did. As someone who has attended just about every home game over the past 15 years and quite a few road games and championships, I can tell the mood in the stands is different and not in a good way. Even the marketing has been lackluster (not trying to pile on, just stating a fact).

Part of me really envies other programs who have parted ways with long-time coaches and seen success. Loyalty to the staff is commendable, but there has to be a limit.

There in lies the problem. "Can't fire him cause his other son is coming." We've heard for a decade every single year how great a recruiting class we have coming the next season. What's been produced with them?
A bunch of bust and injuries. Bust is a strong word. Overrated players sounds more appropriate. Draft.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is pretty simple really:
  1. results on the field have been declining. Not up and down, not marginally bad, but steadily declining;
  2. talent level seems to have been declining. I haven't gone and put together draft picks and the like, but just to my eyeballs, the talent level has been dropping. Maybe this year's ACC all star selections have influenced me;
  3. the man himself has character and quality (as seen from afar...I do not know him personally) and he seems a good representative for the Institute.
  4. The pitching stats in particular have been in steady decline (some might call it free fall)-either the recruitment is terrible or the coaching is terrible.
  5. The injury excuse to me is a red herring. IN a single year I can accept it, but over a 5 year span, we either have similar levels of injuries as other programs OR if we have more injuries, that's another strike against Hall
  6. his contract has a 5 year buyout left on it (is that right?)...not sure GTAA can afford that in a non-rev sport
  7. fan enthusiasm and attendance clearly on the decline (see: "Hewiit, the final years")
Only #3 is in his favor. That and whatever the financial realities of his contract might be.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I still think he deserves another year. It would have been like firing CPJ after the 2015 season, a big mistake.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Danny's record, updated to reflect the end of this season:

GC3Vvh.jpg

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bottom line is pretty simple really:
  1. results on the field have been declining. Not up and down, not marginally bad, but steadily declining;
  2. talent level seems to have been declining. I haven't gone and put together draft picks and the like, but just to my eyeballs, the talent level has been dropping. Maybe this year's ACC all star selections have influenced me;
  3. the man himself has character and quality (as seen from afar...I do not know him personally) and he seems a good representative for the Institute.
  4. The pitching stats in particular have been in steady decline (some might call it free fall)-either the recruitment is terrible or the coaching is terrible.
  5. The injury excuse to me is a red herring. IN a single year I can accept it, but over a 5 year span, we either have similar levels of injuries as other programs OR if we have more injuries, that's another strike against Hall
  6. his contract has a 5 year buyout left on it (is that right?)...not sure GTAA can afford that in a non-rev sport
  7. fan enthusiasm and attendance clearly on the decline (see: "Hewiit, the final years")
Only #3 is in his favor. That and whatever the financial realities of his contract might be.

My thoughts exactly. He seems like a great guy and representative of GT, but other than that, I don't see much of a reason to keep him. We're already irrelevant in college baseball.

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
I still think he deserves another year. It would have been like firing CPJ after the 2015 season, a big mistake.
I think your earlier post (#15) made it clear where you stood on this topic. Given your reluctance to rely on hard data and the reference to coaching his sons, I have to ask ... Do you know personally know CDH? If so, you might want to check your biases.

With regard to your comparison to CPJ, I am not following your logic. At all. Are you also saying we should've given Gregory another year, too?

In light of what's been occurring over the past few years, what makes you think next season will be a breakout year?

Sometimes you have to make decisions with your mind and sometimes with your heart. This is the time when the AD should be doing both.

It's time.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say get rid of him. However, who ya going to get? What young coach is doing the best job of getting top GA HS players (specifically east cobb players).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

A lot different scenarios. PJ had a great season the year before the bad one. Hall is at 6 non-winning ACC seasons in a row.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think your earlier post (#15) made it clear where you stood on this topic. Given your reluctance to rely on hard data and the reference to coaching his sons, I have to ask ... Do you know personally know CDH? If so, you might want to check your biases.

With regard to your comparison to CPJ, I am not following your logic. At all. Are you also saying we should've given Gregory another year, too?

In light of what's been occurring over the past few years, what makes you think next season will be a breakout year?

Sometimes you have to make decisions with your mind and sometimes with your heart. This is the time when the AD should be doing both.

It's time.

@65Jacket and I don't agree politically, but I understand his position. It is basically that Danny Hall has done so much for the program in the last 24 years that he deserves to leave when he wants.

That is a rational (and profoundly liberal) point of view. I shared it until this year. Like I think @65Jacket implied, I believe firing people is the hardest thing to do. I did it several times and it was awful. That is part of the reason why I have my own company now with no one working for me. The next one to get fired is me when I stop producing.

Calling for someone to be fired after they dedicated their life to the job is a sh!tty thing that I did by starting this post.

But for me, it's time for Danny to step aside. I hope I'll be able to do the same, but I probably won't.

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
Calling for someone to be fired after they dedicated their life to the job is a sh!tty thing that I did by starting this post.

I sense your internal conflict and salute your honesty. To your point, it seems you were only acknowledging the elephant in the room.

Regards,

M.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
A lot different scenarios. PJ had a great season the year before the bad one. Hall is at 6 non-winning ACC seasons in a row.
I'm going to keep bringing this up. Even in those 6 losing seasons, he has won 2 ACC championships which is more than football and basketball combined in the last decade and a half. He is also the only coach at Tech with a winning record against UGaG. He is definitely on the hot seat, but like I already posted, I believe that he deserves one more year to get himself off that hot seat.

65Jacket

GT Athlete

It's time.

Do you want to donate enough to handle the buyout? And no, I am not a personal friend of Danny Hall.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
@65Jacket and I don't agree politically, but I understand his position. It is basically that Danny Hall has done so much for the program in the last 24 years that he deserves to leave when he wants.

That is a rational (and profoundly liberal) point of view. I shared it until this year. Like I think @65Jacket implied, I believe firing people is the hardest thing to do. I did it several times and it was awful. That is part of the reason why I have my own company now with no one working for me. The next one to get fired is me when I stop producing.

But for me, it's time for Danny to step aside. I hope I'll be able to do the same, but I probably won't.
That must be the first time I have ever been called a liberal, I am about as conservative as a person can be.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think he should be given the opportunity to announce his last year, within the next two. So, he can go out with dignity.

However, that would likely kill recruiting if he said after 2019 since we can't afford a manager in waiting.