Should Hall Return?

Should Hall Return?

• No.

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Yes, with a new pitching coach.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Yes, give him another year.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Yes, give him to the end of the contract (2021).

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Yes, as long as he wants.

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everyone has an opinion but only the AD (and maybe Mark Teixeira) matters.

Regardless, I hope Hall decides to allow someone else to coach. While changing the pitching coach is an option too since pitching is our chronic weak area, Howell has been here 4 years and should own the poor pitching performance over that period regardless of bad "luck" with injuries. (From all the pre-games I've heard, Howell is a great guy too.)

This is based on
  1. ACC Performance. Over the last 6 years, we have won 12, 15, 14, 13, 13 and 11 ACC regular season games. I guess all the injuries over normal meant we didn't win 13 or 14 ACC games this year since that is what we usually do. This continued level of performance (over multiple pitching coaches) is unacceptable to me (again, not that it matters).
  2. NCAA Performance. Over the last six years we have gone 4 times. Four years ago, the only way we went to the NCAAs was to win the ACC tourney. We came from last seed to win over another low seed (MD).
I think Hall is a great person and does a lot for developing the student athlete. He had a great run his first 18 years at GT. But he's not getting it done. Looking at the recruiting class rankings we have, we should be doing a lot better. I understand many injuries this year hurt our performance this year. And pitching injuries were a valid reason last year. I just don't think injuries were as valid a reason the prior four years or can be the continual reason.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has an opinion but only the AD (and maybe Mark Teixeira) matters.

Regardless, I hope Hall decides to allow someone else to coach. While changing the pitching coach is an option too since pitching is our chronic weak area, Howell has been here 4 years and should own the poor pitching performance over that period regardless of bad "luck" with injuries. (From all the pre-games I've heard, Howell is a great guy too.)

This is based on
  1. ACC Performance. Over the last 6 years, we have won 12, 15, 14, 13, 13 and 11 ACC regular season games. I guess all the injuries over normal meant we didn't win 13 or 14 ACC games this year since that is what we usually do. This continued level of performance (over multiple pitching coaches) is unacceptable to me (again, not that it matters).
  2. NCAA Performance. Over the last six years we have gone 4 times. Four years ago, the only way we went to the NCAAs was to win the ACC tourney. We came from last seed to win over another low seed (MD).
I think Hall is a great person and does a lot for developing the student athlete. He had a great run his first 18 years at GT. But he's not getting it done. Looking at the recruiting class rankings we have, we should be doing a lot better. I understand many injuries this year hurt our performance this year. And pitching injuries were a valid reason last year. I just don't think injuries were as valid a reason the prior four years or can be the continual reason.
I believe that Hall is firmly on the hot seat next year, but he deserves one more year to get himself off that hot seat. Next year will be the third year of the top 5 recruiting class and that is when those classes make a difference in baseball. I also believe that the talent coming in next year is better than the players that are graduating. He desperately needs to find a new pitching coach though. In order for Hall to stay after next year, he probably needs to accomplish 4 of the 7 things listed below.
1. Decisively win the UGA series (not necessarily a sweep, but I would like to see a couple of 20-0 games in our favor:);))
2. Have a better than .500 record in ACC play
3. Win the Coastal division
4. Win the ACC tournament
5. Host a regional
6. Make it to the Super Regionals
7. Make it to Omaha
I completely believe that all of these are goals that can be met next year by the team. We have the talent and hopefully everybody will stay healthy next year. I also hope that the draft doesn't pillage our recruiting class.

Like you pointed out though, my opinion does not matter at all.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe that Hall is firmly on the hot seat next year, but he deserves one more year to get himself off that hot seat. Next year will be the third year of the top 5 recruiting class and that is when those classes make a difference in baseball. I also believe that the talent coming in next year is better than the players that are graduating. He desperately needs to find a new pitching coach though. In order for Hall to stay after next year, he probably needs to accomplish 4 of the 7 things listed below.
1. Decisively win the UGA series (not necessarily a sweep, but I would like to see a couple of 20-0 games in our favor:);))
2. Have a better than .500 record in ACC play
3. Win the Coastal division
4. Win the ACC tournament
5. Host a regional
6. Make it to the Super Regionals
7. Make it to Omaha
I completely believe that all of these are goals that can be met next year by the team. We have the talent and hopefully everybody will stay healthy next year. I also hope that the draft doesn't pillage our recruiting class.

Like you pointed out though, my opinion does not matter at all.
Wow, that's an impressive wish list. I would think a winning ACC regular season record and either hosting a regional or a good showing in regionals (I.e., a "close" second or better) would be enough to stick around. Basically, return is to relevance. That is, If he is given another year. I don't know if his contract is a constraint or not, but to me, there are enough years of decline to signal it's time for a change.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some very good points made in this thread. One of the most disappointing things that we continue to see is losing series' where we are not out-talented, but outcoached and outplayed: ND, Duke, and UGA this year come directly to mind. I see the point saying he should get another year because this rising junior class was such a highly ranked recruiting class and usually year 2 to 3 is where they make the biggest jump...but then maybe that is also a reason why a change should be made now. Also all the injuries this year would be hard for any team to overcome; but why does it seem GT has so many more injuries than other schools?

Another concerning thing for me is what I heard/read earlier in the season (can't recall exactly where now) that said that CDH basically wouldn't let Howell do what he wanted to do with the pitchers---CDH still determined how they work out and what conditioning programs those guys stick to. Why have a pitching coach if you limit what he can do as a coach. Hire someone you fully trust to do the job or just don't hire one at all (we see how that ended for Perno at UGA who felt he could be the pitching coach and the HC).

This was overall a very disappointing season; but if you would've told all of us on January 1 this year that we would not have English, Kel, or Bart for extended portions of the season; we probably wouldn't have expected much more than how we've finished.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does the contract basically make this whole discussion moot? I'm seriously asking. Is it a non-starter for GTAA to pay him or buy him out in order to replace him?

If you believe the staff cannot be held accountable for injuries... then I'd say not just this season; but last year too...are difficult to assess as to holding the staff accountable. Simply too many key injuries.

Those 2 things (contract/finances & injuries) might be the weightiest parts the AD must consider. And I just don't know those things. Sort of gets me stuck on answering the question.

The results (over last 5-6 seasons) are damning & concerning, for sure.

Hall has done a ton for the program... and I'll accept the ridicule for saying this; but my "feel good" side would like to see Coach Hall go out on his terms. Next season he'll accomplish/experience the following (barring something crazy happening):
-Coach his 25th season at Tech
-Hit 1200 career wins
-Hit 1000 wins at Tech
-Coach both of his sons on same team

I realize it's the GT Baseball team & program...& not the CDH love-fest. But at one point (a few years ago)... they weren't mutually exclusive.

The idea of going in a different direction right now is certainly understandable.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's face facts (iiuc):
1) we've been on a downward trajectory for last 10 yrs (since APR?)
2) we've still managed acc tourney wins
3) we haven't got past 1st round of playoffs recently, even when seeded well (iirc)
4) there hasn't been heat on his seat
5) before the recent slide he's done pretty well by Tech, deserves some respect
6) it's baseball and won't spark fan furor for firing like fball and bball would
7) we don't seem to fire coaches until past time

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does the contract basically make this whole discussion moot? I'm seriously asking. Is it a non-starter for GTAA to pay him or buy him out in order to replace him?

The AJC article on his contract last year didn't give terms of any buyout. I think whatever buyout there would be in the contract should be honored (duh) and more importantly is deserved for his 24 years here. But even without knowing the amounts, I would not think they are large amounts per year ($several $100K) since baseball is not a money sport.

We certainly can't be growing in fan base with the performance we have. Also, the student support, judged solely by camera shots of the game day crowds has been limited. That consideration should outweigh his buy out amount.

If Hall comes back, I won't be that upset. It will be good to see him reach the milestones you listed. I hope next year will be different and I'm wrong in my opinion (again).

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I can't see firing him at this point. We have had our third consecutive really good recruiting class, so at least give him a chance to coach them, especially his sons. Some of you guys can totally take the human side out of a decision, but I can't. That is why I turned down management positions in my work career.

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
It's time. This year has been an unmitigated disappointment. The pattern seems pretty clear and it transcends injuries. The stats don't lie and this program is at risk of falling into medicority, assuming it hasn't done so already. CDH has certainly contributed enormously during his tenure, but I fear those days are firmly behind us.

No more CDH event games or CDH swag ... enough already. I say clean house and bring in some fresh, young coaches to reinvigorate a program that consistently outperformed many others. The fact that we no longer generate the same kind of preseason buzz should tell you all you need to know. It would be a shame to see him stick around just to see him break some new coaching records. Put the program first already...

It's time.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
There in lies the problem. "Can't fire him cause his other son is coming." We've heard for a decade every single year how great a recruiting class we have coming the next season. What's been produced with them?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Beamer, Cremins, Bobby Bowden were all elite level coaches and among the best at their craft...but when the slide begins, it seems irreversible. I think it is unwise to ignore trends and tends to prolong the suffering for all parties. I say it's time for a change.