Season in review.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, ask the players. One is my brother. That's coming directly from the players :)

One players opinion or perception doesn't make it a fact. Bottom line, no reasonably successful P5 coach doesn't not teach his team to watch film, just doesn't happen. Now, maybe he lost the players or his methods lost their attention, but to say they didn't emphasize or do it is disingenuous. He constantly talked about looking at the film and how the players would see what was there when they went over it.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
One players opinion or perception doesn't make it a fact. Bottom line, no reasonably successful P5 coach doesn't not teach his team to watch film, just doesn't happen. Now, maybe he lost the players or his methods lost their attention, but to say they didn't emphasize or do it is disingenuous. He constantly talked about looking at the film and how the players would see what was there when they went over it.
Oh really? How can you possibly review and study film if NONE of the other teams compete against an option offense in that given season. How is that even possible...

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Is that a recruiting issue it injury issue then. It seems as if those who are calling this whole season to recruiting issues are conveniently leaving this out to make the recruiting seem like it's the only reason for it struggles. At other times the large amount of injuries is the issue. So which one is it?

...both? We've had poor recruiting for years and the a large number of those players were injured this year?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh really? How can you possibly review and study film if NONE of the other teams compete against an option offense in that given season. How is that even possible...

What are we even talking about here? You watch game film of how opponents have played you from previous games and years. You point out what fronts you saw, what mistakes were made, how to correct, etc. Most of the same **** other teams do except for the fact that you can't watch what other teams are doing as much. There is still game film of how other schools played similar opponents or concepts.

It's possible that you are talking about 1 facet of watching film - watching the defense of the upcoming opponents against similar opponents. CPJ most assuredly did that too, just wasn't much to pull from. However to say that they didn't watch or study film based off of that aspect alone is misleading.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
After year 1 of one of the greatest transitions in all of sports, we have to give not only this offense, but this team and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. CPJ has set this program back many many years by the lack of recruitment that has taken place on the flats in recent years. I'm glad the triple option worked for a few years. There's a reason why the military schools run it, because you can be competitive with undersized players. There is also a reason why no other P5 program in the country runs it. I have a favor to ask. Go look at the recruitment pages on the kids on our team, especially offensively (247, rivals, etc) and see who GT beat and competed with to land most of these players. We didn't land any top prospects and weren't competing against many P5 teams. It is going to take some time for this regime to recruit the right kind of kids that will compete nationally and within the ACC. Offensively, these guys were going into a gun fight every week with a bunch of sticks. It's very easy to complain and point fingers, but when you have probably one of the best Oline coaches in the country in CBK and one of the better passing coordinators in the country (Temple ranked top 40 in throwing last 2 years), this is set up for a recipe for success. When you don't have time to throw, guys who can open up running lanes and move guys off the ball, guys that can CONSISTENTLY throw, or guys who can consistently catch, it makes things very difficult. These coaches had to chance game-plans basically every week because there are simply schemes and gameplans that our kids can't execute because of athletic ability. This is what we're going through and things will change for the better. These coaches dedicate their lives to coaching ball and are really good at it. Trust the process and give these guys support for the future. Especially around recruits, they follow all of us on social media and take note of the negativity/positivity surrounding this program. Go Jackets!!

Well, Shane Falco taking over at QB for the Washington Sentinels was probably the BIGGEST transformation of all time....and they managed to successfully "transform" in just a few games....I'm just pointing out that it can be done!!

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

Exactly. Film time was not as important to CPJ yet you criticize him for it.

And I guess you brother is one of those guys that CGC talks about when he talks about making a transition.

I am sure the players love Collins. The last player’s coach to have any real success at Tech was Dodd. Curry had one year. Gailey never beat UGA.

It remains to be seen how well Collins does. He is definitely a players coach.

He needs to execute on his key thing recruiting. First step is this signing period.

It’s time to let the Johnson excuse go. Collins needs to focus on what he can do to make our program competitive quickly.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
What are we even talking about here? You watch game film of how opponents have played you from previous games and years. You point out what fronts you saw, what mistakes were made, how to correct, etc. Most of the same **** other teams do except for the fact that you can't watch what other teams are doing as much. There is still game film of how other schools played similar opponents or concepts.

It's possible that you are talking about 1 facet of watching film - watching the defense of the upcoming opponents against similar opponents. CPJ most assuredly did that too, just wasn't much to pull from. However to say that they didn't watch or study film based off of that aspect alone is misleading.
False. Very false. You start with formation sets of the formations you personally run. What techniques do the dline play, how to they fit their gaps, how do the LB's fit and play overhead, and how do they want to play the DB's in coverage. You can't do this is you aren't seeing the same sets as yourself. Spread sets and flexbone sets ran in the triple are totally different. Majority of the sets in the ACC are spread and multiple pro. Outside of Duke this year that put some flexbone sets in on short yardage. Apparently we need to teach both the players and fans how to watch film...

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly. Film time was not as important to CPJ yet you criticize him for it.

And I guess you brother is one of those guys that CGC talks about when he talks about making a transition.

I am sure the players love Collins. The last player’s coach to have any real success at Tech was Dodd. Curry had one year. Gailey never beat UGA.

It remains to be seen how well Collins does. He is definitely a players coach.

He needs to execute on his key thing recruiting. First step is this signing period.

It’s time to let the Johnson excuse go. Collins needs to focus on what he can do to make our program competitive quickly.
True! Ranked in the top 20 for this recruiting class is a good start! It'll be exciting to see the talent they can get in for midyear spring semester to get the ball rolling!!

The play-calling was fine. The execution was poor. Which goes back to recruiting and getting players on campus that can compete with the 4 and 5 star athletes that school in Athens and Clemson both have. Again, we're playing with walk ons and 2-3 star players on both sides of the ball. This is a major issue
A good OC takes risks at times. After a turnover, a quick strike is almost always the best thing to do, but did we do that at all today? NOPE. Did we see a single first down pass down the field all day? I really don't remember seeing one.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you this losing to Georgia by 45 points at home will not sit well with the old line Tech folks. Collins best not repeat that performance or it will be his last as the Head Coach of Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
A good OC takes risks at times. After a turnover, a quick strike is almost always the best thing to do, but did we do that at all today? NOPE. Did we see a single first down pass down the field all day? I really don't remember seeing one.
Just re-watched the first downs. They were balanced in quarters 1-3. Good pass to run ratio. UGA played a ton of single high safety man, which takes a lot of the shots down the middle of the field away. UGA matched up well with the speed on the outside especially in the slots to cover A Brown. They called a couple shots to him (inside fades) but the LB would wall him and he couldn't get off the jam. It's tough to separate when you play man coverage if you're not physical. Or don't weigh enough to get off bumps and walls by bigger defenders haha. They tried calling quick game pass plays to get the ball out of James's hand, but a mixture of Missed Targets and drops put a stall to that.

Just re-watched the first downs. They were balanced in quarters 1-3. Good pass to run ratio. UGA played a ton of single high safety man, which takes a lot of the shots down the middle of the field away. UGA matched up well with the speed on the outside especially in the slots to cover A Brown. They called a couple shots to him (inside fades) but the LB would wall him and he couldn't get off the jam. It's tough to separate when you play man coverage if you're not physical. Or don't weigh enough to get off bumps and walls by bigger defenders haha. They tried calling quick game pass plays to get the ball out of James's hand, but a mixture of Missed Targets and drops put a stall to that.
I don't recall seeing any quick game pass plays. And, as far as down the field passes go, you have to at least try, especially when Graham has shown he has a knack for completing them. Better to attempt one and fail than to throw short sideline passes that, if complete, don't gain much yardage.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

I said this multiple times in chat. Throw the dang ball down the field 3 times instead of running and going 3 and out all day long.

/

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I can tell you this losing to Georgia by 45 points at home will not sit well with the old line Tech folks. Collins best not repeat that performance or it will be his last as the Head Coach of Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!
Gailey got beat 51-7 in his first year against ugag with a helluva lot more talent than what we have now and lasted another 7 years never beating ugag. Barring NCAA sanctions, us getting blown out by them next year isn't getting Collins fired.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't recall seeing any quick game pass plays. And, as far as down the field passes go, you have to at least try, especially when Graham has shown he has a knack for completing them. Better to attempt one and fail than to throw short sideline passes that, if complete, don't gain much yardage.
Well, I'm sorry you can't recall. But throw the ball where? UGA's top 2 coverages are a man free coverage with a free safety playing center field, or a 2 man coverage with locked coverage with 2 free safeties splitting the field in half overhead. Where shall we take shots down the field? When the QB goes 5-20 that isn't very reassuring to the OC to keep trying to throw the football. If we can't complete the short ones i'm sure well complete the long ones with DB's playing man coverage with 1 or 2 high safeties overhead for added support.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Not that I'm cal for his job, but what are the chances we don't bring back Dave Patenaude? I'm pretty much indifferent on him. Ig the is a clear better option out there that can come in and drastically upgrade things I'm all for it, if not I don't mind giving him time to get "his guys" in

Gailey got beat 51-7 in his first year against ugag with a helluva lot more talent than what we have now and lasted another 7 years never beating ugag. Barring NCAA sanctions, us getting blown out by them next year isn't getting Collins fired.
He may not have ever beaten the mutts, but he was at least competitive with them after that first year debacle. Let's hope Collins can at least do that as well, but I am not convinced he can do it with P'nut, just as I (and MANY others) were not satisfied with just "being competitive" because of Patrick Nix.

Well, I'm sorry you can't recall. But throw the ball where? UGA's top 2 coverages are a man free coverage with a free safety playing center field, or a 2 man coverage with locked coverage with 2 free safeties splitting the field in half overhead. Where shall we take shots down the field? When the QB goes 5-20 that isn't very reassuring to the OC to keep trying to throw the football. If we can't complete the short ones i'm sure well complete the long ones with DB's playing man coverage with 1 or 2 high safeties overhead for added support.
The problem with that argument is that he never even tried.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Bull****. No one will ever convince me that CPJ and staff didn't have players watch film or teach them to. There was no weight cap on the OL as a whole, that myth was debunked by CPJ multiple times on the call in and pressers. The only time a weight cap was implemented was for players who gained too much to move in the offense like they needed to. There was no hard and fast rule. I'm also sure that they weren't allowed to stay strong during the season - makes sense to me. Glad you're in the know.

There was a weight cap/restriction though. It was an AJC article on it. CPJ didn’t like he thought our OL was slow and didn’t have good flexibility