Season in review.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Re: Manny Diaz

If you’re barely bowl eligible with years of Miami-ranked recruiting classes, maybe you should catch flak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, let me tell you he is catching it big time. They did win 6 games and beat their arch rival FSU convincingly but to hear them tell it on Canes Insight it was akin to a blind sow finding an acorn. Manny has only been there a year and already has to endure taunts about losing to a commuter college and Georgia Tech. In their minds, Tech is just about on the same level as Florida International which is ridiculous but during the few times they have mentioned Tech it is never positive always denigrating with the disdain one usually has for bottom feeding G5 or FBS programs. My response would be "we might be dumb and have a bad team but we are blind as a bat stupid spending money you don't have to revive a program that will never sniff past glory under the current football landscape" Miami is a private school with limited financial resources at present. They are stuck with him and his assorted baggage.

Poor Manny is not getting anywhere close to the pass Coach Collins is getting. After all, has anyone seen an airplane banner with "Fire Geoff" on it? Manny has endured that humiliation on his own field and most recently at FIU's home stadium. To their credit, they identify the problem as not stopping with the coach, the offensive coordinator and the assistants they want a total burn down of the entire athletic department starting with the AD and that woman who is the assistant AD. They have special ire for her because she headed up the bogus search committee that hired Manny right out of the chute and hired the same consulting firm that brought them Al Golden and Randy Shannon. The college football landscape is littered with disgruntled fan bases who think firing coaches will solve all their problems.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
@Heisman's Ghost All the FSU, UF, Miami, other major college fans down my way have been asking me all week when we’re canning our new coach. There’s a lot of sympathy for GT right now but when I tell them GT is going to have CGC for at least 2 more years the look on their faces is utter disbelief.

FSU fires Willie T and gets stuck with a multi million dollar buyout. That was after paying Oregon and South Florida for their shares in his buyouts. He will be paid for years to do nothing. Is this a great country or what? Tech cannot afford such largesse and we will have to hope that Coach Collins gets the ship turned around. I don't know why the fans of other schools think we should just fire a coach for having a bad year. It happens. Frank Beamer had multiple bad years but Virginia Tech was rewarded for their patience with some excellent teams. Tennessee has fired coaches right and left since Fulmer. To what effect? More underachieving football at a factory that ought to be competing with UGA and Florida instead of South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt. It may very well be that three or four years from now, Tech fans will look back and say why did we not fire this guy before when all the signs were there? Or, we might be looking back at the wreckage of once proud programs at FSU and Miami and be thinking whew! That was close. If we had done what they did and fired Geoff after a bad second year we would be where they are instead of enjoying unprecedented great recruiting classes and a program on the rise. It could happen either way and I would not be the least bit surprised.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't know why the fans of other schools think we should just fire a coach for having a bad year.
Speaking for them they think he’s a zero. Can’t recruit, can’t coach, can’t manage a game.

I told them we’re a patient bunch and it’s a work in progress. Hope time proves them wrong but many/most non-GT fans in Florida are not of the mindset of many on here. TIFWIW. They’re just college football fans.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
When it comes down to it, its about the number of Ws a coach gets. The fan base, alumni and boosters do not want hear excuses or cliches. I understand coaches do things different. How do you know that no other schools incurred such similar issues? How many years does the fan base have hear, the transition excuse? Trust me, I do understand we have holes to fill and they won't fill over night. I also expect to gradually get better. But, we are not Taylor. For those expecting a 10 win season in 2 more years. I think our defense did well, overall. But, they were gassed. The offense was a disappointment. I expected better preparation. Heck, I had a UGA fan guess over half the plays we ran, before we ran them. That's pretty embarrassing.
To be fair we could all just as easily predict UGAs plays. HB Dive, HB Toss, PA Pass to TE or WR on a Go Route.

slugboy

Staff member
Speaking for them they think he’s a zero. Can’t recruit, can’t coach, can’t manage a game.

I told them we’re a patient bunch and it’s a work in progress. Hope time proves them wrong but many/most non-GT fans in Florida are not of the mindset of many on here. TIFWIW. They’re just college football fans.

And I thought he was doing pretty good at the recruiting thing. Does he need to pull a top 5 class at GT to convince your friends that he can recruit?

FWIW, if he did convince your friends that way, I'd be OK with it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
And I thought he was doing pretty good at the recruiting thing. Does he need to pull a top 5 class at GT to convince your friends that he can recruit?

FWIW, if he did convince your friends that way, I'd be OK with it.
Not my friends, these are mostly team members, some co-workers and the ones that talk college football all year watch recruiting like a hawk. I balance what I read on here with what my GT friends that follow football closely and I yap about plus what the banter is on the floor from the non-GT fans. The non-GT version of our recruiting this year is quite a bit different than a GT fan’s opinion, not that it matters much because for non-elite recruits it’s a crap shoot. Call it what you want but not everyone in the universe thinks we’re crushing it in recruiting, coaches (GT’s among them) get excoriated for bad game management weekly, and our weekly ad hoc college football state of affairs discussions are not for the thin skinned.
There’s no Mod to cry to when the gang starts pointing out your program’s failures or weaknesses down my way.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not my friends, these are mostly team members, some co-workers and the ones that talk college football all year watch recruiting like a hawk. I balance what I read on here with what my GT friends that follow football closely and I yap about plus what the banter is on the floor from the non-GT fans. The non-GT version of our recruiting this year is quite a bit different than a GT fan’s opinion, not that it matters much because for non-elite recruits it’s a crap shoot. Call it what you want but not everyone in the universe thinks we’re crushing it in recruiting, coaches (GT’s among them) get excoriated for bad game management weekly, and our weekly ad hoc college football state of affairs discussions are not for the thin skinned.
There’s no Mod to cry to when the gang starts pointing out your program’s failures or weaknesses down my way.

I take comfort in the fact that GT is one of the top 50 STEM schools in the world and yet, still plays D1 football. That in itself is impressive.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I take comfort in the fact that GT is one of the top 50 STEM schools in the world and yet, still plays D1 football. That in itself is impressive.
None of these people care or understand GT academics except for a couple whose kids applied & weren't accepted. There was one who had a brilliant Engineer wannabee who played football & we recruited hard but waved off GT. USCe was the ticket. I’ll get the occasional “your school is too tough” comment lobbed my way, but mostly it’s GT has a bad sports rep in general. Nobody says a kid picked UF over FSU because it has a better “fill in the blank” school. Never. Only on a GT board does real academics ever enter into any discussion.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
@Heisman's Ghost All the FSU, UF, Miami, other major college fans down my way have been asking me all week when we’re canning our new coach. There’s a lot of sympathy for GT right now but when I tell them GT is going to have CGC for at least 2 more years the look on their faces is utter disbelief.

None of the college football fans my way have been asking me that. Most of them think we had a big rebuild to do, had nobody on the roster who can throw a pass, that we have very little depth, and think Collins is showing signs that he is going to significantly improve the amount of talent on the team (actually I'm rephrasing what most of them say because most of them think we have very little talent at all and I think we have more than they think we do but that our depth is a big issue).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
None of these people care or understand GT academics except for a couple whose kids applied & weren't accepted. There was one who had a brilliant Engineer wannabee who played football & we recruited hard but waved off GT. USCe was the ticket. I’ll get the occasional “your school is too tough” comment lobbed my way, but mostly it’s GT has a bad sports rep in general. Nobody says a kid picked UF over FSU because it has a better “fill in the blank” school. Never. Only on a GT board does real academics ever enter into any discussion.

I get it. But when literally, the smartest kids in the NCAA take the field, that’s impressive regardless of the record. You won’t win a sports debate. But I take satisfaction when Tech beats a factory.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
On a positive note....the season is behind us. On a negative note....next season looms with little to look forward to......
I was really looking forward to the off season during this season. I’m hoping we will get enough infusion of transfer and young talent to be competitive.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This goes back prior to Collins, and possibly prior to Johnson too, but why on earth do we leave the punt-return man ALONE down the field. Why not position a few players back there with him to provide some IMMEDIATE blocking if he decides to return the ball. We could never build a wall for a punt return, when the players are all bunched up at the line and have to turn and run back to the return men in foot-races with the players from the kicking team. If there had been other Tech players near the returner who fumbled the ball that was recovered in the end zone by the mutts, then MAYBE one of them could have recovered the fumble first.

We need two guys back to receive the punt. It is a wide field. Fewer balls will hit the ground and roll. One receiver blocks the first gunner for the returner. Should lead to better communication on when to fair catch and not. May lead to fewer fumbles. (More than two back gives the kicking team too much blocking mismatch for a fake.)