Season in review.

Jmonty71

Banned
No offense, but you don't have the slightest clue of transitions and what occurs in the organization during a transition. Did the coaches put a max weight cap on Offensive Linemen? Because ours did. Did they allow the players to maintain there weight room strength in season? The previous staff did NOT. Did they put a priority on watching film during the week and teaching the kids how to watch film? The previous staff didn't. Did the previous staff allow NFL scouts into practice and let them observe the players during the year? The pervious staff did not. These are just a few examples of how messed up the pervious regime was, and thats all coming from a current player and staff member. You have no idea how much goes into transitions and how messed up things were in the past unless you are in the know.
When it comes down to it, its about the number of Ws a coach gets. The fan base, alumni and boosters do not want hear excuses or cliches. I understand coaches do things different. How do you know that no other schools incurred such similar issues? How many years does the fan base have hear, the transition excuse? Trust me, I do understand we have holes to fill and they won't fill over night. I also expect to gradually get better. But, we are not Taylor. For those expecting a 10 win season in 2 more years. I think our defense did well, overall. But, they were gassed. The offense was a disappointment. I expected better preparation. Heck, I had a UGA fan guess over half the plays we ran, before we ran them. That's pretty embarrassing.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
High point for me: UVA. I know it was a loss but UVA is a solid team and we went toe to toe with them. We looked like we could play with quality teams in that game. Only time this year that I was optimistic. NC St was second.

Low point for me: VT by far. First home shutout in decades. They are an average team and we looked like a really bad FCS school playing them.

Overall it was probably the worst season I have seen as a Tech fan. The offense is a complete train wreck and Collins needs to make some decisions because we won’t be competitive next year with the same offensive coaching staff and a few true freshmen thrown in. I think the defense is going in the right direction. It’s just hard to tell when they get no rest and frequently defend a short field. They have shown promise at times, especially the Pitt game. Special teams desperately need a new kicker.

A good summation of how bad this season was is that we had probably the worst loss to UGA in the history of the rivalry and it was only maybe the third worst loss of the season.

Jmonty71

Banned
High point for me: UVA. I know it was a loss but UVA is a solid team and we went toe to toe with them. We looked like we could play with quality teams in that game. Only time this year that I was optimistic. NC St was second.

Low point for me: VT by far. First home shutout in decades. They are an average team and we looked like a really bad FCS school playing them.

Overall it was probably the worst season I have seen as a Tech fan. The offense is a complete train wreck and Collins needs to make some decisions because we won’t be competitive next year with the same offensive coaching staff and a few true freshmen thrown in. I think the defense is going in the right direction. It’s just hard to tell when they get no rest and frequently defend a short field. They have shown promise at times, especially the Pitt game. Special teams desperately need a new kicker.

A good summation of how bad this season was is that we had probably the worst loss to UGA in the history of the rivalry and it was only maybe the third worst loss of the season.
I agree. UVA wasn't a terrible game. I was most disappointed with VT. We got smacked in the mouth over and over.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
He ran the same off-tackle play over and over and over all game long, and most importantly in key first down plays after turnovers. That play never worked all afternoon. He also never let Graham throw down-field, which Graham has shown he can do with success several times this season. They have a game plan set up for an entire week, and they still have LONG snap counts, sometimes resulting in time outs or delay of game penalties. The players on the field after those turnovers looked like they didn't have a clue what to do. Yes, their beef on the line pretty much slowed or stopped our run game, so why not pass on first down some? Why can't they properly execute a screen pass? Perhaps because, they don't really know how to execute one. You have to execute it FAST, and not wait for things to get "set up". If we, for whatever reason, are unable to do that, then DON'T ATTEMPT A SCREEN !!! I can't think of a single successful screen pass all season.
Actually it wasn't the same off tackle play. What looks the same to you is not the same at all. There are different schemes involved, ex) who's pulling, who the line and RB's are reading etc. Maybe they were trying to take time off the clock to slow the game down systematically. I believe they ran 2 screens today. One resulted for a gain of 32 yards and the other the WR got blown up trying to make the block. It seems like you have most of the answers so why don't you get into coaching. Or leave it up to the people who do it for a living, and have had great success in the coaching careers. It's very easy to complain.

Actually it wasn't the same off tackle play. What looks the same to you is not the same at all. There are different schemes involved, ex) who's pulling, who the line and RB's are reading etc. Maybe they were trying to take time off the clock to slow the game down systematically. I believe they ran 2 screens today. One resulted for a gain of 32 yards and the other the WR got blown up trying to make the block. It seems like you have most of the answers so why don't you get into coaching. Or leave it up to the people who do it for a living, and have had great success in the coaching careers. It's very easy to complain.
If you are satisfied with the play-calling today, then there is nothing more I can say. I, however, was far from alone in my section alone in complaining about what we saw today.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
If you are satisfied with the play-calling today, then there is nothing more I can say. I, however, was far from alone in my section alone in complaining about what we saw today.
The play-calling was fine. The execution was poor. Which goes back to recruiting and getting players on campus that can compete with the 4 and 5 star athletes that school in Athens and Clemson both have. Again, we're playing with walk ons and 2-3 star players on both sides of the ball. This is a major issue

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
No offense, but you don't have the slightest clue of transitions and what occurs in the organization during a transition. Did the coaches put a max weight cap on Offensive Linemen? Because ours did. Did they allow the players to maintain there weight room strength in season? The previous staff did NOT. Did they put a priority on watching film during the week and teaching the kids how to watch film? The previous staff didn't. Did the previous staff allow NFL scouts into practice and let them observe the players during the year? The pervious staff did not. These are just a few examples of how messed up the pervious regime was, and thats all coming from a current player and staff member. You have no idea how much goes into transitions and how messed up things were in the past unless you are in the know.

Bull****. No one will ever convince me that CPJ and staff didn't have players watch film or teach them to. There was no weight cap on the OL as a whole, that myth was debunked by CPJ multiple times on the call in and pressers. The only time a weight cap was implemented was for players who gained too much to move in the offense like they needed to. There was no hard and fast rule. I'm also sure that they weren't allowed to stay strong during the season - makes sense to me. Glad you're in the know.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
I am with you. I thought our play calling wad timid and predictable.
When you go up against a defense such as Kirby's or Saban's, which implements man Rip/Liz match coverages and 2 gap defensive fronts mixed in with unpredictable pressures you have to get into certain sets which mess with there run fits and support players. This is probably why the offense debuted the wishbone set and other sets with 12 personnel and WR's in the backfield. This gives these types of defenses fits because they have to adjust on the fly and they didn't gameplan for it all week. That being said, you have to execute these plays as well. Lets go back to the first series, we drop a ball on 3rd and medium. Then the QB throws the wrong route to the TE on the second series where the option was open.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
Bull****. No one will ever convince me that CPJ and staff didn't have players watch film or teach them to. There was no weight cap on the OL as a whole, that myth was debunked by CPJ multiple times on the call in and pressers. The only time a weight cap was implemented was for players who gained too much to move in the offense like they needed to. There was no hard and fast rule. I'm also sure that they weren't allowed to stay strong during the season - makes sense to me. Glad you're in the know.
Hey, ask the players. One is my brother. That's coming directly from the players :)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The play-calling was fine. The execution was poor. Which goes back to recruiting and getting players on campus that can compete with the 4 and 5 star athletes that school in Athens and Clemson both have. Again, we're playing with walk ons and 2-3 star players on both sides of the ball. This is a major issue
Is that a recruiting issue it injury issue then. It seems as if those who are calling this whole season to recruiting issues are conveniently leaving this out to make the recruiting seem like it's the only reason for it struggles. At other times the large amount of injuries is the issue. So which one is it?

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh look, the classic "if you know better why don't you coach" comeback. Nice....

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
Take a look at the recruiting profiles of our current players and you tell me!! The saddest thing I heard was in the spring Coach Bobby Lamb from Mercer personally thanked CGC because he wouldn't have to recruit against Tech anymore. Think about that, a head coach of an FCS program thanking a P5 head coach because he doesn't have to recruit the SAME players anymore. Crazy