Season in review.

Jmonty71

Banned
We all know what we ended with. A 3 win season. 2 games where we totally, did terrible. The Citadel and VT were the 2 low points of the season, on my opinion. I thought NC State and Miami were our high points. Overall, the offense was terrible. Pnut is not want we need. Too basic and too predictable. The defense had some bad games and some good games. Overall, they weren't horrible. Special teams was a smidge better, I think. I was disappointed that we looked terrible most of the season and I didn't see much improvement. I think Collins made a lot of stupid mistakes. I hope that we can add some size, speed and talent to the team next year. I also hope we get a new OC.

Rozier24

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we clearly got better through the season. It was clear early on that we don't have much if any talent but they fought hard on almost every down. Yes, coaching needs to improve but we all knew the strength of CGC is program management. Give him time and we will get there.

The future is bright! Go Jackets!

I think we clearly got better through the season. It was clear early on that we don't have much if any talent but they fought hard on almost every down. Yes, coaching needs to improve but we all knew the strength of CGC is program management. Give him time and we will get there.

Boy, you sure haven't seen the same games I have seen. For every step forward we seemed to take, we too two steps backwards. The sad thing is the best overall game we probably played was against Clemson.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The biggest mistake early was not picking a QB. I get the the TO against Clemson choice. But it never seemed like we had a core set of plays that we ran well. More like a bunch of different plays no one really knew how to run. Boston college rode Zone dive left and Zone dive right to 6 wins one year behind a power back. Because they ran the hell out of that play. Even our run concepts seemed off in the timing. Today there were several times where the mesh out of the baltimore diamond (ironic on this one because CPJ helped them develop the formation this year when he went up there. and they veer block out of it instead of zone with the base play being midline) was very late.

Defense took steps but until we get better ILB play and some bodies on the line i reserve judgement on scheme issues. I still prefer a 3 man line over a 4 for us but if we are going with a more lB sized rush its basically just alignment.

Special teams... kickers were so mishandled. Coverage teams were not discplined. and we had many times where they outran the kick or took bad angles.

Reciever group. Camp going out hurt, Carter is hot and cold on getting serperation. Lack of Adonicas sanders these last few games was odd since he seemed to really be able to pick up RAC. AB's going to be a hell of a weapon.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

So much to dislike about this post. But we don't really know anything about CGC as HC. He was a great coordinator, but much of Temple has to do with Rhule more than CGC. If anything, they took a step back under CGC. Allot of his guys from Temple were Rhule recruits.

Not saying CGC can't get it done, but we need to quit blaming previous coach and acting like there's no talent here. Just own up to it, transition year and you failed in transitioning. Not the end of the world, next year could be a huge success. I just don't want to hear excuses as to why the coaches failed.

This goes back prior to Collins, and possibly prior to Johnson too, but why on earth do we leave the punt-return man ALONE down the field. Why not position a few players back there with him to provide some IMMEDIATE blocking if he decides to return the ball. We could never build a wall for a punt return, when the players are all bunched up at the line and have to turn and run back to the return men in foot-races with the players from the kicking team. If there had been other Tech players near the returner who fumbled the ball that was recovered in the end zone by the mutts, then MAYBE one of them could have recovered the fumble first.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
We all know what we ended with. A 3 win season. 2 games where we totally, did terrible. The Citadel and VT were the 2 low points of the season, on my opinion. I thought NC State and Miami were our high points. Overall, the offense was terrible. Pnut is not want we need. Too basic and too predictable. The defense had some bad games and some good games. Overall, they weren't horrible. Special teams was a smidge better, I think. I was disappointed that we looked terrible most of the season and I didn't see much improvement. I think Collins made a lot of stupid mistakes. I hope that we can add some size, speed and talent to the team next year. I also hope we get a new OC.
After year 1 of one of the greatest transitions in all of sports, we have to give not only this offense, but this team and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. CPJ has set this program back many many years by the lack of recruitment that has taken place on the flats in recent years. I'm glad the triple option worked for a few years. There's a reason why the military schools run it, because you can be competitive with undersized players. There is also a reason why no other P5 program in the country runs it. I have a favor to ask. Go look at the recruitment pages on the kids on our team, especially offensively (247, rivals, etc) and see who GT beat and competed with to land most of these players. We didn't land any top prospects and weren't competing against many P5 teams. It is going to take some time for this regime to recruit the right kind of kids that will compete nationally and within the ACC. Offensively, these guys were going into a gun fight every week with a bunch of sticks. It's very easy to complain and point fingers, but when you have probably one of the best Oline coaches in the country in CBK and one of the better passing coordinators in the country (Temple ranked top 40 in throwing last 2 years), this is set up for a recipe for success. When you don't have time to throw, guys who can open up running lanes and move guys off the ball, guys that can CONSISTENTLY throw, or guys who can consistently catch, it makes things very difficult. These coaches had to chance game-plans basically every week because there are simply schemes and gameplans that our kids can't execute because of athletic ability. This is what we're going through and things will change for the better. These coaches dedicate their lives to coaching ball and are really good at it. Trust the process and give these guys support for the future. Especially around recruits, they follow all of us on social media and take note of the negativity/positivity surrounding this program. Go Jackets!!

Matt E

GT Athlete
This goes back prior to Collins, and possibly prior to Johnson too, but why on earth do we leave the punt-return man ALONE down the field. Why not position a few players back there with him to provide some IMMEDIATE blocking if he decides to return the ball. We could never build a wall for a punt return, when the players are all bunched up at the line and have to turn and run back to the return men in foot-races with the players from the kicking team. If there had been other Tech players near the returner who fumbled the ball that was recovered in the end zone by the mutts, then MAYBE one of them could have recovered the fumble first.

Every team in America basically runs the exact same formation on punt return

Rozier24

Georgia Tech Fan
Boy, you sure haven't seen the same games I have seen. For every step forward we seemed to take, we too two steps backwards. The sad thing is the best overall game we probably played was against Clemson.

Agree that we were watching different games. Miami, Pitt, UVA, NcSt was a solid run. Were we the best team on the field, probably not once, but they fought with what they had. VT was a stinker but they held in there today two quarters longer than I thought they would.

This isn’t fun for any of us but the players are on the way. We will see these guys back here in two years.

Agree that we were watching different games. Miami, Pitt, UVA, NcSt was a solid run. Were we the best team on the field, probably not once, but they fought with what they had. VT was a stinker but they held in there today two quarters longer than I thought they would.

This isn’t fun for any of us but the players are on the way. We will see these guys back here in two years.
And if not for P'nut abysmal play-calling in the first half, we would have led at halftime. Would we have won the game? No, of course not, but the whole game would have had a different tone if we had done what we should have.

Jmonty71

Banned
After year 1 of one of the greatest transitions in all of sports, we have to give not only this offense, but this team and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. CPJ has set this program back many many years by the lack of recruitment that has taken place on the flats in recent years. I'm glad the triple option worked for a few years. There's a reason why the military schools run it, because you can be competitive with undersized players. There is also a reason why no other P5 program in the country runs it. I have a favor to ask. Go look at the recruitment pages on the kids on our team, especially offensively (247, rivals, etc) and see who GT beat and competed with to land most of these players. We didn't land any top prospects and weren't competing against many P5 teams. It is going to take some time for this regime to recruit the right kind of kids that will compete nationally and within the ACC. Offensively, these guys were going into a gun fight every week with a bunch of sticks. It's very easy to complain and point fingers, but when you have probably one of the best Oline coaches in the country in CBK and one of the better passing coordinators in the country (Temple ranked top 40 in throwing last 2 years), this is set up for a recipe for success. When you don't have time to throw, guys who can open up running lanes and move guys off the ball, guys that can CONSISTENTLY throw, or guys who can consistently catch, it makes things very difficult. These coaches had to chance game-plans basically every week because there are simply schemes and gameplans that our kids can't execute because of athletic ability. This is what we're going through and things will change for the better. These coaches dedicate their lives to coaching ball and are really good at it. Trust the process and give these guys support for the future. Especially around recruits, they follow all of us on social media and take note of the negativity/positivity surrounding this program. Go Jackets!!
There were a few teams that went from the option to a pro set. Oklahoma, Nebraska and Michigan to name a few. I get tired of hearing "the greatest transition in sports". To me, it sounds like a crutch like excuse. We, as fans, know we don't have the right players to run a pro set offense. But, don't over dramatize the transition. It's a transition from one coach to another. The same expectations should be given.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
And if not for P'nut abysmal play-calling in the first half, we would have led at halftime. Would we have won the game? No, of course not, but the whole game would have had a different tone if we had done what we should have.
How can you say the playcalling was the issue in the first half? I'm very curious. These guys gameplan an entire week and know better than you and I what will work and what will not. The QB went 5-20 for 40 yards passing. Dropped balls, missed throws, running lanes disappear because UGA 2-gaps everything up front. I take it you don't know what that means so I'll explain. They have a significant weight advantage up front and can hold not ONE, but TWO gaps up front letting LB's run over the top and make plays. We could have had the best game plan in the country but if you can't get off Defender's blocks, it will make for a long day, which it did. Then when we attempt to MAX PROTECT and throw the ball, there isn't much protection going on at all and there is pressure in the QB's face. not easy for coaches. They must have left there joysticks at home that control the players smh.

Techfan889

Georgia Tech Fan
There were a few teams that went from the option to a pro set. Oklahoma, Nebraska and Michigan to name a few. I get tired of hearing "the greatest transition in sports". To me, it sounds like a crutch like excuse. We, as fans, know we don't have the right players to run a pro set offense. But, don't over dramatize the transition. It's a transition from one coach to another. The same expectations should be given.
No offense, but you don't have the slightest clue of transitions and what occurs in the organization during a transition. Did the coaches put a max weight cap on Offensive Linemen? Because ours did. Did they allow the players to maintain there weight room strength in season? The previous staff did NOT. Did they put a priority on watching film during the week and teaching the kids how to watch film? The previous staff didn't. Did the previous staff allow NFL scouts into practice and let them observe the players during the year? The pervious staff did not. These are just a few examples of how messed up the pervious regime was, and thats all coming from a current player and staff member. You have no idea how much goes into transitions and how messed up things were in the past unless you are in the know.

How can you say the playcalling was the issue in the first half? I'm very curious. These guys gameplan an entire week and know better than you and I what will work and what will not. The QB went 5-20 for 40 yards passing. Dropped balls, missed throws, running lanes disappear because UGA 2-gaps everything up front. I take it you don't know what that means so I'll explain. They have a significant weight advantage up front and can hold not ONE, but TWO gaps up front letting LB's run over the top and make plays. We could have had the best game plan in the country but if you can't get off Defender's blocks, it will make for a long day, which it did. Then when we attempt to MAX PROTECT and throw the ball, there isn't much protection going on at all and there is pressure in the QB's face. not easy for coaches. They must have left there joysticks at home that control the players smh.
He ran the same off-tackle play over and over and over all game long, and most importantly in key first down plays after turnovers. That play never worked all afternoon. He also never let Graham throw down-field, which Graham has shown he can do with success several times this season. They have a game plan set up for an entire week, and they still have LONG snap counts, sometimes resulting in time outs or delay of game penalties. The players on the field after those turnovers looked like they didn't have a clue what to do. Yes, their beef on the line pretty much slowed or stopped our run game, so why not pass on first down some? Why can't they properly execute a screen pass? Perhaps because, they don't really know how to execute one. You have to execute it FAST, and not wait for things to get "set up". If we, for whatever reason, are unable to do that, then DON'T ATTEMPT A SCREEN !!! I can't think of a single successful screen pass all season.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So much to dislike about this post. But we don't really know anything about CGC as HC. He was a great coordinator, but much of Temple has to do with Rhule more than CGC. If anything, they took a step back under CGC. Allot of his guys from Temple were Rhule recruits.

Not saying CGC can't get it done, but we need to quit blaming previous coach and acting like there's no talent here. Just own up to it, transition year and you failed in transitioning. Not the end of the world, next year could be a huge success. I just don't want to hear excuses as to why the coaches failed.

So, CGC is penalized for winning with “Rhules recruits” and penalized for losing with CPJ recruits

i guess it’s iiwii

Actually the O-line did a much better job of protecting Graham on the pass today than I expected. But the passes he threw were just not the kind of passes that resulted in gains, and that was not just because of the mutts' massive size, it was because of the particular pass play called.